What can be done with the venerable Maglight 4D?

BigBubbaDaddy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I used to have an account here years ago and sadly I could not find my login credentials so I created this new one.

In days past you all helped me mod up my old Surefire Centurion C2 (bored it out, new head...can't remember whose & a McClicky), she is still attached to the bedside gun safe and running strong :)

You also lead me to Malkoff for a drop in converting an old incandescent Maglight 4D...sadly some f&%$er stole it out of my truck a couple years back.

All that to ask what, if anything, one can do to improve the performance of a Maglight 4D Led these days? I recently was given one and I'm curious if it is worth working on.

Apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum to post this, and I did do a search but almost everything I found was quite dated.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any replies,

BBD

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I think your best bet is still the Malkoff drop in if you have an older Maglite. You could also buy a new Maglite. I like them and some of them are programmable with an electronic switch. Quite a bit of variety if you look on their website and them shop around if you want the best price. You can also, go to your local hardware store and pick one up.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have C batteries a quick improvement is flip the spring in the end cap, install 5 C batteries, and you improved it. The bulb will burn out faster but it will be a little brighter.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with others that malkoff is still the top dog for upgrading an old maglite. If it's newer then there aren't really any options unless you do a custom led swap. My only gripe against the malkoff is that it's only available or in CW (unless that's recently changed?). They would be super easy to change an emitter in but that would likely void the malkoff warranty.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
a lot can be done with a mag, hundreds of possibilities, from using off the shelf drop in, to gutting it entirely and replacing all internals