I'm looking for a good flashlight for work. Here are some of the specs I need:

Must haves:
Single Mode
USB Rechargeable
IP rated (IP65 minimum but prefer IP68)
>400 Lumen (>800 would be best)
<$50
4" - 6" long
Anodized grip or machined grip (rubber doesn't last)

Focus
Magnetic mount
Made in USA

I am a CNC machinist and in need of a good light for viewing small tools and looking around inside the machine. My hands are often damp/wet (IP rating) with oil based coolant (no rubber grip). The light is rarely on for more than three or four minutes at a time. Barrel or tail switch is fine.

Single mode is probably the most important (and elusive) option I require. IF there are no viable options that meet my 'must haves' then I could settle for a multi mode so long as it has a memory so that all I have to do is push the switch to turn it on and push the switch to turn it off. Preferably this would be a two switch system where one switch sets the mode and the other switch only turns it on/off.

USB charging is the second-most important requirement. At the end of the day I would like to plug it in to charge overnight without having to remove batteries and set up a charging station (workbench and toolbox space is limited).

If possible I would like to purchase from Amazon (credit card points) but that isn't necessary. Manufactured in the USA would be great but I know that these days that is probably impossible. I don't mind foreign made but I don't want to purchase directly from a foreign country.

Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Some of your "must have" criteria and "likes" are in conflict ....

Effective Ingress Protection ( "IP" ) tends to be challenged by USB recharging ports. Yes, there are dinky rubber plugs made to "protect" the port, but those are generally too loose, too tight, and/or fail / break / disappear in short order.

There are some wonderful single mode USA-made torches available ... for over $50.

Flashlights that "focus" are generally _not_ water-resistant, and infrequently USA-made.

Et cetera, etc.

Last edited:

paulrhyan

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome to CPF

Some of your "must have" criteria and "likes" are in conflict ....

Effective Ingress Protection ( "IP" ) tends to be challenged by USB recharging ports. Yes, there are dinky rubber plugs made to "protect" the port, but those are generally too loose, too tight, and/or fail / break / disappear in short order.

There are some wonderful single mode USA-made torches available ... for over $50.

Flashlights that "focus" are generally _not_ water-resistant, and infrequently USA-made.

Et cetera, etc.

Thank you for your reply. You bring up some interesting points that I had not considered. What if I changed my 'must haves' a little to look like this?

Must haves:
Single Mode
USB Rechargeable
>400 Lumen (>800 would be best)
<$50
4" - 6" long
Anodized grip or machined grip (rubber doesn't last)

Magnetic mount
Made in USA

If Possible:
IP rated (IP65 minimum but prefer IP68)
Focus

What kind of makes/models would you suggest?

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, WTF is the deal with multi-mode and why are single mode flashlights/torches so difficult to find? One would think that the industry would divide its offerings into survival - tactical - work categories. Since I'm not much of an 'outdoorsie' type, I can't think of one instance where I needed a blink mode or an SOS mode in a flashlight.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Streamlight models that use the 10-tap-programming. Any of them can be set to be Hi-only.

I see they have several models that come with a USB chargeable cell, but you can't charge the cell inside the flashlight. they do have some models that can charge the battery inside the light, but the ones I've found are above your desired price range. However, if you're using the light in a potentially corrosive environment, having an integrated USB port for charging might not be a good idea.

Good luck finding something you love!

cp2315

Enlightened
Take a look at surefire G2x series. They are tough, good quality and not expensive. You will need a charger to charge the battery though.

325addict

Enlightened
I would strongly advise you to NEVER, EVER recharge ANY li-ion battery overnight, unattended. And yes, that includes your mobile phone. I would stay away from flashlights with a micro-USB port or so for charging, in the first place that compromises waterproofness, in the second place, if used every day, I give that tiny, unstable connector less than half a year of life. Just buy a sturdy light (and why not a Maglite ML25LT or better, the ML50LX?) and take the batteries out and recharge them in a proper external charger.

325addict

Enlightened
I don't know if this is just me, but current LED-lights only tend to BLIND me when I shine on metal parts, effectively PREVENTING me to see ANY details. Much, much better are incan flashlights here. I use a Surefire C3 Centurion every day at work and cannot recommend that one enough. There's a slight problem however with these: they are no longer available :-( :-(
But there's a solution to that problem: take a Lumens Factory Seraph SP-9 host to start with, add the ES-9 or HO-9 lamp assembly and your light is ready. Buy a few 2300mAh Keeppower 18500s and a decent charger and you're done! You won't believe how pleasant that light is to your eyes, and how much detail you will see, due to the fact you won't be blinded so quickly.
This host: (body, tailcap and head, without the light source):
https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=446

And for example, this lamp assembly, should be more than enough light for close-up work:
https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=3

Please let me know if this works for you.

Last edited: