UKE 2L to Luxeon Star and LM2621 conversion

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
Here are the photos.

On the backside of the LM2621 module is a variable resistor, 100K wired in series with 110K fixed resistor to replace Rf2 on the power supply board (sorry but photo was too fuzzy). This varies the brightness, from about a Photon to as bright as the E1 (!)

No mods to the flashlight, just remove a battery and the lamp module and replace with LS module and screw the head down.

Heat is a real issue: I have not run it on high for more than about 5 minutes as the (hex nut) heat sink gets hot. Turn down the brightness and of course it runs cooler.

I took some beam comparison photos with (from left to right) a Photon II, the UKE 2L mod, 2AA Maglite, and a 2AA Maglite to LS conversion described here. Also is beam comparison with Surefire E1.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coherence, does the AA Mag/LS flashlight head heat up at all, if light is on for say, -longer than 5 min. or so?

p.s.-nice photos

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> does the AA Mag/LS flashlight head heat up at all, if light is on for say, -longer than 5 min. or so?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll start a test. It has lithium batteries in it with about 45 minutes use on them.

time........temp
-------------------
10:18.......roomtemp
10:23.......roomtemp + a few degrees
10:40.......roomtemp + a few degrees
etc...

I recommend building this one. It is easy, no wasted power on other components, doesn't overheat, bright, inexpensive, and has a familiar feel to those of us who carried one around for about 10 years.

It is well worth it to use lithium batteries in this one.

Also I have grown to dislike twist on lights. You have to use both hands to turn it on, and both hands to turn it off. A pushbutton tailcap makes it much more useable for me. This is my most used utility light nowadays, mostly used to build other flashlights
wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
-About that UKE 2L light....
Couldn't find any reference to what battery config. you're using
confused.gif
1-#123 or 2-#123L or what?:/

Although I admire that Mag/LS mod of yours, I'm gonna hold out for a High Dome white-when it's available, and then mod one of my old minimags, based on your experience.

Coherence

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Couldn't find any reference to what battery config. you're using 1-#123 or 2-#123L or what?:/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The UKE 2L uses 2 lithium 123A batteries with its standard lamp module, I am using 1 cell with the LS module.