DC to AC inverters, how often and what do you use

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Target and saw a 700 watt inverter made by Vector. It had a digital readout to let you know the batt voltage and power output (in watts). They also had one that was 400 watt with the same digital readout. I already have a 115 amp deep cycle batt in my shed. I have a small plug in 70 watt inverter for my laptop. I was interested in what other members have and what they use them for. Great for poweroutages...but there are few here and rarly last more than a few hours...haven`t had a hurricane here...they always miss us (Tampa).

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
trace sw2548 often with solar
trace ux1112 in the van to run stuff at hamfests.
no exp with cheapies though.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Cobra 300W that I've ran laptops and such with but for some reason it won't power my wife's.

TheBeam

Enlightened
Interesting, I had just bought one. I got a Vector 500 watt (1000 watt peak) from Sams club, (it's not on their web page). This one does not have a readout, but has a modified sine wave.

I have an extra battery for power outages, but the main reason I bought it is to hook up a Mini Shark hand vacuuuuuuuum for the car. This one. I hate having to drive to the car wash just to vacuum. It takes longer to get there than to vacumm.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I have two.

One is a 80 or 100 watt unit that I keep in my truck. I can charge the battery in my laptop, drill, and other test equipment that I use.

I also have a pure sine wave 600 watt unit. I figured 50 amps was about the maximum I could pull from my truck battery without modification. I hook this unit right up to the battery terminals because I don't think my lighter adapter is rated for 50 amps. I use this unit with the truck running because it has a low voltage cut off that kicks in quickly under a moderate load. I can run my soldering gun off of it without the engine running, but hook up computers or test equipment and it is a different story.

I have had good luck with both of them.

Tom

Brock

Flashaholic
stacked trace sw2512's with solar, running 240vac, 1200 amp 12v battery bank. #4 (fused at 80 amps) run to just outside the garage that I can jumpstart a car or charge my bank with a car.

I also have a small trace 400 for car trips. One thing to check is if the fan runs all the time, on my small one it only runs when it gets hot, so it doesn't run with the laptop charging, but it will if I add much more. Nice and quite.

Darell

Flashaholic
Sunnyboy 2.5KW from solar to 120V grid.

I also have a huge one in the car that'll take 400V of battery and serve up 52KW AC to the motor.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DC to AC inverters, how often and what do you

I'm currently using a Vector 350/600 almost everyday. I use UV florescent lights to cure resins for windshield repair.