MP3 Players

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My teenage son wants to get an mp3 player. He is especially interested in a model by IRiver, the HP 120. This is a 20 GB hard drive based unit. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding this or other hard drive models? From what we can tell this one seems to have more/better features than an IPod for an equally outrageous price. We're also considering a 20 gig unit from Archos. Also, does anyone know if the Line-in capability of the IRiver or Archos works well? Thanks for any advice.

Geoff

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dans Data has reviews on a bunch of those types MP3 players. Might be a good place to start poking around. Please note he's in Australia, so the $$ mount is often in that curency.

Mike

Saaby

Flashaholic
I just got a 20 gig iPod this week. I suppose my opinion is a little biased, but the iPod simply is the best.

Instead of going on for days on end about the iPod I'll just summarize:

Had I purchased any of the other Jukeboxes I'd be sitting here going "For only $x more I could have had an iPod"

Whereas with the iPod the last thing on my mind is:
"If only it had a built in FM tuner" or
"If only it had a crappy built in microphone so I could do voice recordings." (Voice Recording can be done with the iPod with accessories) or even
"But the rechargeable, replaceable battery inside is only going to last 18 months."

matt_j

Enlightened
I have that player.

14 hrs battery life which is much better than ipod
Same design but little bigger
Build in radio
Very easy interface with windows (uses explorer for drop and drop of the files)...
Great headphone that come with the player

One problem is that you need to create your playlists on your computer since you can't make them on the player. Iriver is probaly the best mp3 player on the market now. If ever your battery dies you can change it on your own, its much easier than on the ipod and you dont have to send the unit out.

Matt

DLG

Newly Enlightened
Have purchased 2 iPods. A 15Gb for son's graduation last summer and a mini-iPod for daughter in college. She liked the smaller size and colors.

They are both great units in the eyes of many.

iTunes software is very nice. Mac and Windows btw.

Flatscan

Enlightened
The Archos is a monster. It is portable, but nowhere near pocketable. The sound quality is reasonably good, and the third-party RockBox firmware makes a good interface. I haven't used the line-in, but reviews say it works fine. The built-in mic is trash, because the hard drive spins up after a few seconds and drowns out the real input.

However, the Archos 20GB Recorder V2 is no longer available at Amazon, where it was priced at $130 after rebate, with an additional $30 off if it appeared in your Gold Box. I think the Archos V2 or FM Recorder is only worth a look if you can find it for no more than $150.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i got one of the first mp3player it only had 16 megs lol i like iriver. but ya have to decice what ya need like i had a ipod 15 gig players but i only have 4 gigs a tunes . so im waiting for the new 4 gig players ipod babttery life stinks i had a iriver before 2 of em they was sold under sonic blues rio divsion they was nice but big

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Rio Karma 20GB model that I'm very happy with. Check it out and compare the relavant features. I haven't ever wished for an iPod. (psst! The Karma has 2 blue leds in the charging cradle that throb while charging... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
phaser is it loud? i may get the 1.5 gig model but i like it loud

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he doesn't need a "thumb drive/hard drive" type player, maybe look at the CD/MP3 hybrids. They play both regular music cd's and home made cd's with MP3's burned on them.

Got my wife one (iRiver SlimX iMP-350) for her car and she really likes it.

Mike