Light for kids' bikes

prof student

Enlightened
With the shutdown that's still going on, I've been spending a lot of time keeping an eye with my nieces & nephew. We used to go out at 6, but with the summer heat, we don't head outside until 7. Come sunset, they still like being outside. So, being the awesome uncle that I am, haha, I stay outside so they can run around or ride their bikes.

So…………...…...I am not looking to spend $$$ on a dedicated bike light for them, but still want them to be able to see. On a budget - this is coming out of my own pocket & still waiting to go back to work.

I will be doing this for a rear light (saw a video on this). Harbor Freight tools is a cheap but handy tool store to go to. They have a triangle light that has multiple LEDs. The outer LEDs form a triangle. They either light up solid, or blink (the LEDs inside the triangle light up white). Anywho…...you take the magnet out, put in a bolt......screw a nut to it so the bolt doesn't get loose, attach it to a bracket with a wing nut, then attach the bracket to the bike's seat post. The light is rated at 56 lumens. If you are familiar with this light, any input about its use overall?

As for a front headlight, to secure a flashlight, I've read that those silicone bracelets work quite well. Just put a scrap piece of an inner tube tire, or from a yoga matt under the light so it doesn't scratch the bike or vice versa. You place the flashlight on top of the handlebar, loop the silicone bracelet over the tail end of the light, run the bracelet under the handlebar, and then loop it over the bezel. Its cheap and it works (or so I've read many times).

Now, as for the flashlight, I want something that will light their paths, hopefully a decent runtime, but also cheap. I was thinking of going with a Maglite for each bike, but that's $18/light! So, that led me back to Harbor Freight tools. They have a light that seems to be a generic form of the Bell + Howell light (yes, the one from the infomercials). It cost $10 + I think I can use a 20% coupon on that price. So, that would equal each light costing $8 but x 4. HOWEVER, I was at Walmart today, and saw they had a 3 pack of the Bell + Howell light for $20. Much cheaper 3 pack than buying 3 individual ones at HF. It has 2 or 3 levels and a wide zoom to light the kids' paths. Does anyone have any experience using these lights? How reliable are they? What kind of runtime do you expect? Etc......

So, any input on using those flashlight as a headlight for kinds on their bikes?
Any other CHEAP, or cost effective ideas on how to attach them to their handlebars?
Any input regarding using the HF red triangle light as a rear light?

TIA

prof student

Enlightened
WOW..............not a single recommendation/input???

What happened to this community? Years ago, people would chime in a heartbeat to help you out, give you advice, give their $.02.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I bought a set of lights at The big-box-orange-home-supply store. They have little rubber bands that will wrap around a tube and let you secure it to any part of the bike. The package included a number of colors including red and white.. (Maybe blue and some other color too) Easy to use, cheap and surprisingly visible. I bought the pack I have now around Christmas time. Not sure if they are available now. You will have to check with you local Big Box Orange.

Last edited:

prof student

Enlightened
I bought a set of lights at The big-box-orange-home-supply store. They have little rubber bands that will wrap around a tube and let you secure it to any part of the bike. The package included a number of colors including red and white.. (Maybe blue and some other color too) Easy to use, cheap and surprisingly visible. I bought the pack I have now around Christmas time. Not sure if they are available now. You will have to check with you local Big Box Orange.

Could you please be more specific about the light? Also, did the lights come with the rubber bands to attach to the bike?