Firefox Browser?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Bootdisk .com letter today, the Firefox was recommended as a small and efficient browser. It is on the Mozilla basic frame, I think.

I downloaded it but have not installed it.

Has anyone here had experience with it?
Thanks,
Jerry

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I use it in preference to MS IE. It is much faster than IE on both my laptop and desktop over a cable modem. It also blocks pop-up windows automatically.

However, it does not work as well as MS IE on some functions, e.g., connecting to my office-based Outlook by MS Exchange. I don't know why, but it has never been able to let me reply to messages. I hope that will be remedied by the time it gets out of beta to a true 1.0 release. I first read about it on RefDesk, via their link for blocking pop-up ads.

Jay

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay, thanks for the reply. Although I do not lide IE, I also find that some sites work better or only with it. I do not know why.
My primary browser is NS 7.0, and it is satisfactory, but is large and reasonable slow. Maybe Firefos will be faster.

I assume that the two will not interfere with one another. Do you have any idea about that?

Jerry

georget98

Enlightened
I've been using it for a couple revisions now and it's definitely a keeper.

I love the feature where you can hold <Ctrl> while clicking on a link and it will load the new page in the background. It's great for looking at results in ebay -- just <ctrl> click on all the items you're interested in. They open in a series of tabs across the top of the screen.

I've had a couple situations where a site said I had to have IE. I don't know if Firefox would have worked or not because the site refused to go on.

Another nice feature is you can quickly change font sizes with <Ctrl> minus and <Ctrl> plus (or =). Yes, IE has a way to change font sizes but it doesn't work all the time (I think if a style sheet specifies absolute sizes). It always works in Firefox (and Opera, too).

For ease in ignoring things like style sheets, unresizable windows, and other "I will control your browser" tricks, I think Opera is best. But Firefox wins over Opera in accuracy of rendering pages.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Firefox was a laser disc arcade video game that came out in the 1980s, made by Atari.
The name is what struck me first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I'm downloading the Firefox browser now, and will try it out when it finishes up.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
OK, the download and installation is complete, and I'm using it to post this message. I don't particularly care for the cursor in this text box, as it partially overlaps previously typed characters, and doesn't always blink on and off, but so far, the rest of it seems OK. At least on CPF.

(Edit, a moment later)
Firefox seems to display my website reasonably correctly, except on my What's New page, a serif font is displayed; not a sans-serif one. Guess I'll have to double-check that page in my HTML editor to be absolutely, positively certain I specified a sans serif font on it.

(Edit, another moment later)
I did declare my font type on the web page, but I declared it again after the last </font> tag, and it works properly now.
Now, better check a few of the reviews, and see if they work correctly or malfunction like the What's New page did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(Edit, yet another a moment later)
I checked a few of my reviews, and they all display correctly.
The only thing I note out of whack is that the scroll text on my front page does not appear. Must be an IE-only thing.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Scroll text? You mean using the marquee tag? That is not supported on other browsers. It is a proprietary html extension that microsoft made. Most of these newer browsers such as firefox and mozilla come closer to true support of the web development standards.

Also, the reason IE works best for some pages...is often because those pages use activex...which in my opinion is a terribly insecure technology. It was a good idea that was poorly implemented. I turn off activex in IE anyway. FireFox has an extension you CAN d/l if you wish to run activex pages. I believe it's in beta currently.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've been using Firefox/Firebird browser for the last couple of revisions. I'm using it nearly exclusively on my 2 PC's for about 4 months now. It coexists with IE very well, and there is a plug-in available for download that allows you to right-click a link and select to open it in IE in case it won't work right in Firefox. That gets to the not-so-nice part of Firefox, no plug-ins are installed during initial setup. A link to a web page of plug-ins is put on the bookmark menu for you but you are responsible for installing them. Java and Macromedia plug-ins have to be downloaded from their respective web-sites and an installation program run. Once things are all set up it works smoothly.

I love the automatic pop-up blocking. I also use the tabbed browsing feature daily. I have a folder in my bookmarks that has all my sites I visit every day. I simply select "open in tabs" on the menu and all the sites in the folder start loading at once as tabs within one window.

It's still a beta product, but you really wouldn't think so based on using it, except for the initial installation experience.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Safari on the Mac, Firefox on the Pee Cees. No IE here please (unless somebody makes their page in FrontPage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif )

LukeK

Enlightened
Whenever I'm on a windows machine I like Slimbrowser but I use Firefox on my own PC (Linux). Very fast and it's got those great little time-saving features. The ability to add extensions is great.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I downloaded and installed Slimbrowser.

Two things seem clear.

1. Craig is using an account that has admin privileges.

2. The Slimbrowser folk have never seen NT, not even NT 5.1 (or XP as B. Gates likes to call it).

Craig I'll also hazard a guess that you didn't press the spell checker button below the Quick Reply window.

I also notice if I click on the Slimbrowser shortcut a second time, nothing happens. This is a whole lot better than what happens when I click a second time on the Opera shortcut, but not good enough. What's this all about? Is this some kind of Unix thing?

If I can't have five or ten browsers open, what's the point of being on the internet?

I see I can get another window of sorts if I click on File > New. Wow, just like Windows 3.1.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I think I will go ahead and install Firefox, as it has some good comments here and on Wilders, and The Hare's Lair.
Thanks for the information.

Jerry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
1. Craig is using an account that has admin privileges.

Craig I'll also hazard a guess that you didn't press the spell checker button below the Quick Reply window.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that's bizarre...how could you possibly know I'm using an account that has administrative priviledges? I do administer some websites, but I don't have admin priviledges here on CPF.

And I usually don't press the "spell check" button on my CPF posts...did I misspell a word in one of my two previous posts here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now that this thread has gone off-topic, better put the choo choo train on the right track again...I'm using Firefox to compose this message. The only website that does not function properly with Firefox so far is http://www.q13.com - a local TV station here. You cannot access the TV schedules from it. So I have that page open in IE; the rest (CPF, The LED Museum, and Ebay) are opened in their own Firefox windows.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
Scroll text? You mean using the marquee tag? That is not supported on other browsers...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, that explains it then. I do use the <marquee> tag on that page, which would be why it doesn't work with Firefox.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed it, but can't figure out how to import my Netscape Bookmarks. It is easy to import the IE ones, but how do I import the ND Bookmarks?

Thanks,
Jerry