finding the right battery [noob]

aklferris

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I'm a FNG / noob. I bought a few flashlights back around the time 4 sevens went under (mostly 4 sevens and fenix), but am just now getting back into flashlights. So far, here are my purchases:
Sofirn SP10S - 14500
Lumintop Tool AA - 14500
Wurkkos FC11 - 18650
Astrolux FT03 - 26650

I've been looking into batteries, and while there are certainly some poor choices, the other end is where it gets interesting. Seems you have to choose max discharge vs max capacity, or pick a compromise... there isn't one battery that excels at both (Am I wrong?). Given this, what is the best mix for each size? I know there's not going to be a perfect answer... different flashlights have different current demands, and I don't know what else I will purchase, but what is a good starting point?

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
I believe you need to supply the max amperage the light can draw. That determines which battery to get, regardless of 'capacity'. That's how I bought mine.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it really depends on the light, but personally I find the Samsung INR18560-30Q is a good all-around cell for most lights. 15 amp continuous drain, 3000 mAh capacity, reasonably cheap. It's a good cell.

For capacity, I like the Sanyo NCR18650GA. It still has a 10 amp drain (which is good for most lights), but 3500 mAh capacity. Not much more expensive than the 30Q.

For slightly higher current, the Sony US18650VTC6 gives you up to 20 amps drain, and still has 3000 mAh capacity. A bit more expensive than the 30Q, though.

If you really need high drain, then you're stuck going with lower capacity, like the Samsung 20S that can deliver 30 amps but only 2000 mAh.

That's why I prefer to go with either the 3000mAh or 3500mAh cells.