Flood headlamp recommendation

JoshNZL

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, first time poster here I hope you don't mind it being a recommendation request!

I'm looking for something simple and reasonably priced, for the workshop. Lightweight, flood beam, and ideally holding 18650s (preferably 1), bonus would be having an ultra dim mode (occasion walk a farm stalking deer with a seperate spotlight, barely enough to see my feet while walking type dim). I'm currently using a cheapie LED which works ok but sick of swapping out the 3xAAA in the carriage. I've looked at machining an 18650 carriage out of HDPE which I've done in the past but the light body is too short and 18500s seem to be a tough find in NZ, though that's where I'll go if I can't find something sensible.

So, simple criteria really haha seems to be impossible to search without marketing results of ultra bright ultra high distance lights priced ridiculously... I don't want retinas burnt looking at workpiece at arm's length.

Thanks in advance of course!
Josh

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Josh, and welcome to CPF,
Yes, as Rengadethreads suggested, Zebralight makes my favorite flashlights and headlamps, with my recommendation being the H600Fc or H600Fd, with the only difference being the that "c" version has a slightly warmer color tint, which can be especially nice outdoors. However, a newcomer might be a bit intimidated by it's price and seemingly complicated user interface (which seems complicated at first, but once you get used to it, it's wonderfully easy to use, and adds incredible versatility to the light).

So, I'll suggest you check out the other headlight I own and really enjoy, the Skilhunt H03. It's very reasonably priced through Bangood, has a relatively simple user interface with four levels, last level used memory mode, and uses either 2 x CR123a batteries, 2 x RCR123A batteries (rechargeable), or 1 x 18650 rechargeable, so very flexible power sources.

It's IPX-8 rated, so good to use in the rain, and it comes with a VERY comfortable headband (very important, because the headband that comes with the Zebralight is not very comfortable).

By the way, I just noticed that Skilhunt is offering a new version, the H04, which is available through Amazon, also at a very reasonable price. Both of those lights require you to charge the battery outside the light (which I prefer), but if you're not comfortable with that, Skilhunt offers the H04rc, which comes with a rechargeable lithium battery that charges in the light.

They also offer other options, like one with a flip up diffuser, allowing you to change between a spot or flood beam, but I recommend the regular version which uses the TIR optic. It give an excellent floody beam, but with enough throw to use to walk around.

They also offer either a cool white or neutral LED. I prefer the neutral, as I find it easier on the eyes.

By the way, the Zebralight easily wins having the light with the lowest available output mode, but the Skilhunt does that very well too, easily low enough for what your were talking about needing.

When I'm looking for a new light, I usually spend some time on the manufacturer's website just reading about all the features and options, then I'll download the manual and read it, and finally, I'll check out YouTube to see of there are any video reviews, which I typically find very helpful. Also, use the search function on the CPF website to see if there are any reviews here.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

JoshNZL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses!

Particularly for your time spent Derek, you're right in your assumption of the price, not that I wouldn't pay for it if I had a use that would warrant it. But chances are I'll wreck it, it'll end up covered in grease etc.
I went ahead and purchased the H03, thanks!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josh, let us know how you like it, and be sure and take advantage of the neat user interface. There are 4 main levels (low, medium, high, and turbo), and you advance from low to high each time with one click. One click for ON, then one click to advance to the next level, then click and hold for OFF.

But, each of those 4 levels has an additional sub level for added versatility (So, Low 1 and Low 2, Medium 1 and 2, High 1 and 2 and Turbo 1 and 2), and you access that sub level simply by quickly double clicking. So, when you're on LOW, instead of clicking once to advance to MEDIUM, just do a quick double click, and you'll change to the sub level (which will be slightly higher or lower), and the light will now remember that as the primary LOW level until you change it back by double clicking again while in the LOW level.

So, you never need to see those sub levels unless you want to, but they are always there if you want them. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new light!