LED torch with vehicle dock

Chod

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone. First post for me after being a long time unregistered follower. I have been searching for infomation on a replacment for my 10yr+ old mag chargers with terralux led.

Essentially i want a torch that will mount in a cradle and can be left on charge fulltime and grabbed from vehicle when needed. The mag chargers were great for this but have done their time and im sure there is better lights now but i cant find anything with a similar dock.

Size does not concern me. Id prefer the maglight size if it increases battery life over the smaller lights but am open to any suggestions.

Hoping the wealth of knowledge on here can point me in the right direction..

Chod from Australia..

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix RC20 + cradle? Believe this one charges via 5V, either directly from USB or via a 12V adapter...

Olight makes several that charge magnetically; not sure I would classify the dock as a cradle, though. You might consider the S30R ii, iii.

Some other ideas here.

Dated, but you might find this useful.

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with these types of lights, so don't take the recommendation as an endorsement.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]Maglite :ML 150 – similar to the old mag charger but a slimmer C cell size, improved charging cradle, higher lumens and 3 modes arranged in 4 programmable function sets.[/FONT]

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Something to consider - Lithium-ion batteries have nearly no self-discharge, so as long as they aren't being used, the batteries will be good for at least a couple years. They also aren't happy being constantly charged. You may want to consider a flashlight that has anodized threads (so you can unscrew to lockout), or without a smart switch. Then basically any flashlight would have a secure mount with some velcro. If you don't mind something with a bit of heft, you might want to consider something with two 26650 or 21700 cells - the Convoy L6 comes to mind.....

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something to consider - Lithium-ion batteries have nearly no self-discharge, so as long as they aren't being used, the batteries will be good for at least a couple years. They also aren't happy being constantly charged.

Capacity loss is voltage and temperature dependent. True, there is virtually no self-discharge for li-lion cells stored below ~4.0V at 20C (68F). However, storing at elevated temperatures WILL result in early and permanent capacity loss. For example, storing at 25C (77F) will, on average, result in 20% capacity loss after 1 year.

Last edited:

Chod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice ill have a look at some of tge reccomendations and get back to you.

DMS1970

Enlightened
First picture is a Nitecore R25 rechargeable with dock on the passenger side of my sierra console. I had it on drivers side, but my leg hit it.
MG][/IMG]
IMG-9141.jpg

Second light is an Olight seeker in a maglight clip on the underside of the console lid. No fumbling to find it, just grab and hop out if needed. This one has USB charging, so it can be charged by the USB ports in the console.

Latest posts