AGFA Lithium CR123A problems

Toulouse42

Enlightened
This is my first post but I have been reading your site for years now. Your advice on safe use of Lithium cells was particularly useful.

Last year I bought about 20 AGFA branded CR123A cells.(Boxed from a reputable dealer). Although they are dated November 2021, I have found that only about half are fully charged with the rest anywhere down to 20%. I use a ZTS Pulse Load Multi Battery Tester to test all my cells before use and only use matched cells in my flashlights. Several of these are 2 Cell flashlights that I keep in the cars for emergencies. My concern is that the charge state can measure anywhere from 40% today to 100% tomorrow, so obviously I'm concerned that my 2 cell flashlights may not be that safe after all.

For my EDCs I use 18650s or single cell (CR123 / AA) for pocket carry. The flashlights I keep in the cars are older EDC's from before I changed to 18650s a couple of years ago. Whilst I don't really want to get rid of the 2 cell flashlights, I can't afford for my wife to use any flashlight that is potentially unsafe.

I don't think my tester is faulty as it has no issues with other batteries and I replace the batteries in it regularly. Other brands of CR123A don't seem to have the same issues. Do your members have any views or opinions on what might be the problem here?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
For years I had a ZTS Mini. I too noticed that sometimes CR123 cells would give widely different readings with a second test. Usually I would put them aside and test again several hours later or the next day. If they still read the same as the second reading I would accept that as accurate.

archimedes

Flashaholic
There are many possibilities, but passivation is towards the top of that list.

This is one significant reason why I have generally shifted away from multi-cell flashlights over the past decade.

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bought them last year, and they are dated November 2021? They would seem to be at least 9 years old?

That is about what I saw when Battery Station had import CR123 - older batteries were all over the map on condition at that age. No such problem when they changed to Ray-o-vac.

This is my first post but I have been reading your site for years now. Your advice on safe use of Lithium cells was particularly useful.

Last year I bought about 20 AGFA branded CR123A cells.(Boxed from a reputable dealer). Although they are dated November 2021, I have found that only about half are fully charged with the rest anywhere down to 20%. I use a ZTS Pulse Load Multi Battery Tester to test all my cells before use and only use matched cells in my flashlights. Several of these are 2 Cell flashlights that I keep in the cars for emergencies. My concern is that the charge state can measure anywhere from 40% today to 100% tomorrow, so obviously I'm concerned that my 2 cell flashlights may not be that safe after all.

For my EDCs I use 18650s or single cell (CR123 / AA) for pocket carry. The flashlights I keep in the cars are older EDC's from before I changed to 18650s a couple of years ago. Whilst I don't really want to get rid of the 2 cell flashlights, I can't afford for my wife to use any flashlight that is potentially unsafe.

I don't think my tester is faulty as it has no issues with other batteries and I replace the batteries in it regularly. Other brands of CR123A don't seem to have the same issues. Do your members have any views or opinions on what might be the problem here?

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Thanks for your comments. Yes, they're dated 2021. The dealer is a friend so rather than checking the contents, we chatted. By the time I noticed there was a problem, it was a bit late to complain. No more AGFA for me.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Yes, I feared as much. I live in the UK so some US brands mentioned on this forum are not available here. I just ordered some Energizer and Duracell, so I hope that my problem is solved. I've moved away from alkaline batteries to Lithium wherever possible as I don't want my expensive kit destroyed. I lost a 2D Maglite a couple of years ago due to leaks. I tried all the usual tricks but the batteries were stuck fast.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agfa, Nakamichi, Grundig and many other brands USED to be reputable brands.... until they were bought by some Chinese people, just for the name, and after that only JUNK was pumped out. Sad, but true.
Few exceptions aside, brand names mean little these days. What matters is in which factories items & their parts were made, and who's calling the shots in those factories. Unfortunately this if often a big question mark. :thinking:

Sadly this is true for most consumer products these days. :( From side tables to clocks to storage crates to TV's. The only other way is just test stuff. Which is sometimes easy. Sometimes not.

P.S. 10+ years is a long time for batteries to sit on the shelf. Even CR123A.