What brands & which models of flashlights fit my needs?

rogue2020

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for your suggestions and recommendations for flashlights which can fit the following requirements:

1. Able to sustain 1500 – 2000+ lumens (high mode)
2. Light throw distance of 300 – 400+ meters for around 1.5 hours to 2 hours (in high mode).
3. Single battery or multiple battery setup.

The practical use for this light would be for night-time hiking or camping trips that could flood the area with reasonable amount of illumination without having to change batteries after every hour or so.

For now, I'm thinking AstroLux FT03 SST40W, but I understand its High mode won't last for long.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Many Thanks & Regards… rogue2020

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your thought provoking question.
There's an interesting review of the FT03 here...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-Astrolux-FT03-Thrower-2400-lumens-900-meters
which recommends using the FT02 for longer runtime as its driver is regulated at high levels rather than FET Direct Drive in the FT03.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?453625-Review-Astrolux-FT02-2250-Lumen-Thrower

It looks like the cells will be able to give you good runtime at high levels. The only drawback being the heat generated at high outputs. A small light will not have the thermal mass to sustain high levels for long before the emitter melts, hence the thermal stepdown.
I reckon you're going to have to go bigger to get the mass to get the sustained output.

Just remember high outputs aren't everything, your eyes are designed to adapt to lower light levels. A 300 or 500 lumen light will provide more than adequate light at night, once your eyes have adapted.

As the reviewer above says, "But in my opinion, throwers don't make good lights for primary use. I prefer a standard small EDC for most use, and use the thrower to see stuff in the distance. It's also just fun to use in a dark, open area".

Good luck in your quest, and thank you for my interesting half hour of research.
P

Last edited: