18650 selection regarding size: length and width

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have received a few new 18650 protected cells and found the length and width being greater than my older AW cells.
These new cells will not fit in some of my older lights, especially 2x and 3x 18650 variations in straight tubes, mainly because of the extra length.
......So, are there any new protected 18650 cells out there that have identical size specifications to the older generation cells?
I can customise some of my older lights easily, but the others are very difficult to accept the longer 2x and 3x 18650 cells because of the greater length.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
You could get the older tuber bored to fit the new batteries. I have done quite a few for people. I bored a surefire 6PX (it is a newer CR123A only light) the other day to fit a new 18650.

PM me. Send the battery and tube, and if possible, I will make them fit.....for a small fee.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martin, the thickness is not the problem, its the length, especially if you have two or three in line. In some lights there is some spare room but in others no chance. Thank you for your offer to help.....

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could go with button-top unprotected 18650's. That only adds about 1mm or 2mm, to the length. You just need to be careful about draining them too far. Check voltages before recharging, and it will be safe. Also make sure to only use them as matched sets, so their capacities don't drift from each other.