Surefire G2 problem

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a G2, and have been having some problems with it. I have gone through 2 or 3 sets of batteries and the flashlight seems to be draining them. It will be working (i.e. full power) and I will leave the light sitting on a table or in a drawer for several days and then when I come back to use it it will be dead. The last time, I thought that somehow it was turning itself on, so I unscrewed the top far enough til even pressing the tail button didn't light it. The batteries still went dead.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I love the light, but this "feature" makes it unusable. I cannot depend on the light if the batteries go dead like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Matt

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I just went and checked my two, both with Garrity clickies and one with KL3. Neither had been turned on in at least two weeks. No problem with either one.

I have no idea what to tell you... maybe try a different P60 Light module? OH! and check to see that the springs on the back of the LA are not touching each other!!!

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I never have this problem on my G2 either, but try this, unscrew the bezel 1 1/2 turn...this will lock the light out (even if you turn the tailcap to constant on, it will still be off)

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you can be certain that the batteries are brand new (from a unopened blister pack or whatever), and that nobody else could be using it without you knowing, and that you haven't left it so it could come on etc, how about you take the batteries out of the G2 and put them in a plastic bag next to the G2. When you come to use it next, see what is happening.

If you are using SF123A batteries, try using DL123A batteries or another brand to see if there's a difference.

You do realise that towards the end of the runtime the G2 will light up bright and drop quickly. The batteries can often "recover" a bit and produce good output and then sink like a stone I've found. How much use out of the batteries have you had before you put it away? Long periods of constant-on?

Al

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mundele, I believe you've just been initiated into the ranks of lithium users. 123's will sometimes die after only 20 minutes of steady use, but only AFTER the light is off and sits unused for awhile.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is off topic a bit but are there any Garrity clickies that fit an E2e. I lost my tailcap.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm..If your G2 was left on, the lens would have melted, or show signs of heat warpage.

I wonder if there's some sort of short inside the light causing the drainage. It's seems that it's slow enough not to light the lamp, but significant enough to slowly drain the cells.

--dan

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
The batteries were surefire brand.
The top was unscrewed far enough so that it COULD NOT have been accidentally turned on. (It was "locked out" as 6POriginal said)
It had no lens meltage or anything like that.

I had only used it for short bursts a few times. The batteries were new.

So, should I contact SureFire about it?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
defective batteries were probably the culprit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

imfrogman

Newly Enlightened
It is the Surefire batteries, They suck!!!! I have had this happen to c3, g2 & a2. Usually it was only one of the batteries that failed & the other(s) were still good. I have switched to batterystation 123's & have not had the problem since.

davidra

Enlightened
Hey! That's been happening to me. I had installed the Ozark clickie in the back of my G2. Twice while on an extended trip the batteries turned up dead. I assumed the switch was at fault, so 2 days ago I put the original tailcap back on. Today the batteries were dead. These are Surefire batteries, but I wonder....the batteries seem to be working fine in other lights I have been using them in....