New Lighting System Helps Deer Avoid Vehicles at Night

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hey, that's really cool! I love it, a real "think outside the box" solution to a long-standing problem.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe factory installed 'vehicle illuminators' could project up from the top front edge of the bumper? LED's on my 2019 Tacoma have an (initially distracting) very distinct line where the top of the high beams projected cast just cuts off totally to not blind oncoming traffic; so unlike the incandescents of old. Perhaps this technology can be used to keep the vehicle self-illumination from shining up beyond the grill? Thinking that fog might reflect stray light right where the driver is looking in order to drive.

Devildude

Enlightened
That is a novel idea. Working third shift for the last 11 years in upstate New York I have seen many deer along the road. I have been lucky in that I have not hit any during that time. If you are traveling in fog your speed would be lower anyways, so the light would not be needed. I probably would not be all that good in the snow either but right now it would definitely be helpful.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if having LED light strips running across the front between the headlights might make a difference as well. Since it would be a small line that grows in size to some degree. Although perhaps the deer are seeing that there is something coming and not just lights alone are what get them moving. So maybe mere lighting wouldn't help. I also wonder if perhaps making lights that resemble faces would increase their ability to identify a threat and move away.