ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new flashoholics are so lucky.

Default Re: new flashoholics are so lucky.

Hello everyone, new to Candle Power! I was googling around and this thread really caught my eye. I got into this hobby with a Nitecore penlight several years ago and then my first “big light” was a Nitecore Tiny Monster 4000 lumen. I think it was the brightest thing out there 5 years ago. My Imalent MS18 100,000 lumen is on the way and it truly is astonishing how much the power has gone up in just a few years!

I'm not really sure they are "lucky" as a lot of us old flashaholics that grew up with incans appreciate the technology a lot more than the newbies today do. We have gone from searching through a haystack to find a needle back in the early days of LED lights to find an adequate one to today people searching through stacks of needles to find the right needle to do the job. We have gone from having to wait years for a light to be made that suffices to taking months of researching to figure out what existing light does what we want. We have gone from single mode lights barely doing 30-40 lumens for awhile to multiple mode lights to run from an hour at blinding outputs to forever at candle output levels. With the introduction of nimh then lithium ion the cost of using a light has gone from restrictive to dirt cheap. With the old incans you would buy C/D cells to get 24 hours of fading runtime around 25-40 lumens or AAs to get a few hours at levels 10-15 lumens. it would cost you about $1/12 hours of runtime back them with nimh it costs pennies for weeks or runtime over the life of a battery.
    I used to ration the use of lights and I would find lights that have external input jacks to run off 12VDC power sources so I wouldn't use my alkaleaks up and have to pay $5 again and again for more batteries when I wasn't even making $3/hour. Now people make over twice that and can buy lithium ion batteries for a few hours of their pay and recharge them 100 times making for a nickle for 12 hours of runtime (or less). So now I use lights anytime I want for however long I want and as bright or dim as I want instead of rationing my use. Prior to nimh cells the first 5mm LED lights were as bright as a 2AA penlight and instead of running down to unusable levels of light in 2-3 hours you could run them down to lower output levels for 10-20+ hours often using the depleted batteries from other devices that won't light up an incan bulb.
    I think people today are somewhat spoiled with all the technology they aren't as patient and less able to ration things and do with minimal amounts of things. Everyone now has a huge amounts of newer tech stuff.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I used to ration the use of lights
    I still do! and I`v no idea why, they all have rechargables in there (everything in the house does) and I even charge mine with solar so it`s kinda free, and yet I`m still in the old mindset and can`t seem to shake it?
    I grew up with very little to no "allowance" and had to rely on the Monthly free battery give-away at Radio Shack for my supply LOL

With the introduction of nimh then lithium ion the cost of using a light has gone from restrictive to dirt cheap.

I used to ration the use of lights... so I wouldn't use my alkaleaks up and have to pay $5 again and again

now I use lights anytime I want for however long I want and as bright or dim as I want instead of rationing my use.
    well said!

totally agree that primary cells caused me to ration my use
    they also made me study runtime charts,
    and read about tests of lights running at such low levels as to only be useful in a cave

I worried more about the output quantity, than color
    I did not care about PWM, and I did not complain about Green tint, and had no idea what CRI was

Eneloops and LiIon were a total game changer for me..

I do not feel a need to ration my use with rechargeables
    runtime is a non issue for me now

I care more about color quality, than lumen quantity
    I dont buy lights w PWM anymore, and I remove green tinted Low CRI LEDs in favor of Pink tinted ones with High CRI

The biggest difference, is that since I started using small die High CRI LEDs (219b), I have figured out that they throw farther than the larger Low CRI LEDs with more lumens. (xml and xpl)

basically, my High CRI lights are brighter on target (more focused hotspot), than the Low CRI LEDs with more lumens (wider hotspot), that I removed.

Last edited by jon_slider; 08-10-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    well said!

totally agree that primary cells caused me to ration my use
    they also made me study runtime charts,
    and read about tests of lights running at such low levels as to only be useful in a cave

I worried more about the output quantity, than color
    I did not care about PWM, and I did not complain about Green tint, and had no idea what CRI was

Eneloops and LiIon were a total game changer for me..

I do not feel a need to ration my use with rechargeables
    runtime is a non issue for me now

I care more about color quality, than lumen quantity
    I dont buy lights w PWM anymore, and I remove green tinted Low CRI LEDs in favor of Pink tinted ones with High CRI

The biggest difference, is that since I started using small die High CRI LEDs (219b), I have figured out that they throw farther than the larger Low CRI LEDs with more lumens. (xml and xpl)

basically, my High CRI lights are brighter on target (more focused hotspot), than the Low CRI LEDs with more lumens (wider hotspot), that I removed.
    I'm not much into high CRI but I have been trying to buy neutral white LEDs. I also still look at runtime but not the same way as I did prior to decent rechargeables but rather so I wouldn't be left in the dark unexpectedly. Multiple modes in lights is one thing along with a lot higher efficient and powerful LEDs and better and better recharbeable batteries all together are combined to get optimum output/runtime.
    I think well spaced modes are also a big thing as too many of the first 2 mode lights were 100/50% and 3 modes 100/50/25% and I find that often the 50% mode is either ignored or used instead of the 100% mode as the difference isn't large enough. I find 4-6 mode lights with 500 lumens or higher output also have changed things too. It is the efficiency of LEDs and lithium ion that have helped push forward higher CRI LED solutions as watts/lumen of them are lower but still there is enough power to make them not less useful at slightly lower outputs.
    I have a feeling that high CRI and more efficient LEDs will go hand in hand in implementation throughout the industry as they tend to cancel each other out in the overall lumens/watt a 10% boost in efficiency overall can make a high CRI LED compete with the previous LED of similar tint but lower CRI.
    Do I miss incans in flashlights? no. Do I miss them in area lights like lamps and ceiling lights? A little but as more LED bulbs get less and less angry bluish my eyes aren't that picky as some folks.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I have been trying to buy neutral white LEDs.

I think well spaced modes are also a big thing
    as more LED bulbs get less and less angry bluish my eyes aren't that picky
    fwiw, you probably did have a lot of High CRI experience at home, when your lights were incandescent.. 100 CRI :-)

I still use incandescent house lights..
    But I dont use incandescent flashlights anymore.. I use LEDs that are close to that CRI

fwiw
    Neutral white can be had in both Low CRI and High CRI
    the greener one is the Low CRI NW, the pink one is my favorite 219b 4500k

after adapting to High CRI Neutral White, I find Low CRI NW very green. Plus NW low cri makes food and people look lifeless (lack of red rendering)

I also used to care about mode spacing, and specs for lowest low

I now use a buttonless Jetbeam RRT-01 Magnetic Rotary that is Infinitely Variable,
    and goes from dimmer than any other, to brighter than I need
    without me thinking about modes, nor button clicks, at all

the RRT-01 is actually old school, from 2011, and has been recently rereleased in 2019 RRT-01 and 2020 RRT-01 versions (with added tailbutton).

What is old is new again, if you have not tried one, I highly recommend the experience.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-10-2020 at 12:42 PM.

I have a light that has two sets of modes..... variable and set modes and I prefer the set modes because I can estimate how long I can run at those levels while variable I only know low/high and have to guess how long it can run in the middle.

I think us that were there for the transition from incandescent to LED were the lucky ones. We saw huge changes pretty fast. I remember when Fenix came out with there led keychain light can’t think of the one right now but it Kicked my 9P’s butt!!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 40kaufman7@gmail.com View Post
    Hello everyone, new to Candle Power! I was googling around and this thread really caught my eye. I got into this hobby with a Nitecore penlight several years ago and then my first “big light” was a Nitecore Tiny Monster 4000 lumen. I think it was the brightest thing out there 5 years ago. My Imalent MS18 100,000 lumen is on the way and it truly is astonishing how much the power has gone up in just a few years!
    Welcome to CPF, 40kaufman7! You'll find so much to read and digest here, but keep an eye on your wallet since it's so easy to go down the flashlight-buying hole in the process.
    The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. - Felix Adler

I guess I'm a stick in the mud! I love flashlights but there's nothing metaphysical nor spiritual in them for me. I just dig the technology, the craftsmanship and especially the utility. What is the say? Oh yeah- Dark Sucks!

Nothing I have is SotA by any means, not anymore. My most recent purchase was probably a Malkoff MDC-type head for an AA body. To me a new emitter or engine isn't "real" until Malkoff or Elzetta start using it.

Anyone else have to google SotA? Or am I just old?? 😁😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

What did you get with your search TG?
    My search had anything from mountain summit radio geeks to diet sodas……
    Between my iPhone keyboard trying to think for me and google trying to sell me stuff I just said "never mind".
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Anyone else have to google SotA? Or am I just old?? 
    I'm also old, and also had to Google.

Most likely, as used & in this context: SotA = State of the Art

I'm 51 and SotA=State of the Art is certainly much older than me! Fun fact, one of the best turntables back when I was in HS was a SOTA Star Sapphire! Not that I could afford one, natch.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    It's a shame in some ways too, because most people don't really appreciate how useful 20 lumens, or 120 lumens can be. I'm very glad I went 'back in time' with my collection, totally changed the way I approached buying and using lights.
    So true! And in a way that is actually obvious when it comes to the development of flashlights. In the same time they have become brighter they also have become dimmer, when we take in consider the ultra low modes. For some tasks a fraction of a lumen is very useful and desirable. Which earlier was available only with very low batteries.
    Now and then I take out and enjoy my Surefire 9P incan (runned by 2x18500). Or some of the Surefire LED Outdoorsmans. Dim compared to modern lights, but they have the same lumens today as earlier and are us useful today as they were earlier. For sure we today use far more lumens than we really need because it's fun. But it's also fun to use great flashlights because they are great flashlights, even if they are not super blinding bright.

Very good to hear from you Swedpat!

Rob Babcock, we totally respect you.

Haha thank you. Yes what an addictive hobby! Just received the Imalent MS03 (incredible amount of light) and the little 4,000 lumen one. Meanwhile I have an MS18 on the way, just got the Acebeam UC15

(:

The fun days were when you wanted a powerful light you had to build one. The most powerful lights you could buy were the SureFire incands. My first LED is a 100 lumen L5 LumaMax. I still have the many lights I built using the Maglight host. Some are quite powerful.

I never built a flashlight but I’d love to get into that some day. I’ve toyed with the idea of disassembling one of the new white laser flashlights like the Acebeam and putting a more powerful blue diode in there. I have a 7 watt blue laser and that’s gotta be more powerful than what’s in there

Got the Lumintop FW21 pro yesterday. Astonishing amount of light for something that fits in the palm of your hand. In a few years you’ll probably be able to get a 100,000 lumen one that size!

Enlightened

Tell me about it. My LD70 4000 lumens keychain light pretty much broke all my 18650 EDC. I can't even find a slightly larger light that outputs as much

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Very good to hear from you Swedpat!
    Thank you Kitrobaskin! Yes, now the flashlight season is back again after a bright summer with midnight sun.

Went for a walk last night and brought the MS03, FW21 Pro, and the LD07. The FW is a dream for walking. Smooth ramp up and down, low brightness when needed... have to say though that although the imalent isn’t quite as “refined”, the wall of light it generates is just incredible. Almost feels like 180 degree width. But man that little guy gets hot fast

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by 40kaufman7@gmail.com View Post
    Went for a walk last night and brought the MS03, FW21 Pro, and the LD07. The FW is a dream for walking. Smooth ramp up and down, low brightness when needed... have to say though that although the imalent isn’t quite as “refined”, the wall of light it generates is just incredible. Almost feels like 180 degree width. But man that little guy gets hot fast
    I'm guessing you meant LD70! If it's that one I completely agree and I absolutely love mine as well. The fact that it runs stable at 900 lumens and fits on a keychain is the new times we're in! As for the MS03, I feel like when I need that much light, I'm going to be in the wilderness setting and that's when I need more run time. I use my thrunite Tn36 which is the same thing but bigger. The run times is greatly extended! All moot points if you can bring extra batteries though!

It`s the battery tech that excites me the most, moreso than the LEDS. Fitting 3x 900ma protected 14500 batts into a D cell convertor giving you 3.7v @ 2.7A is Amazing! put one of those into a 2D torch and dummy battery (or even 2 of them!), it`s not only lighter weight but 3.6v bulbs are much more usefull than 2.4v, even for LEDs, it`s easier to get a LED to run at 3.7v without a driver than any 2.4v!

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    It`s the battery tech that excites me the most, moreso than the LEDS. Fitting 3x 900ma protected 14500 batts into a D cell convertor giving you 3.7v @ 2.7A is Amazing! put one of those into a 2D torch and dummy battery (or even 2 of them!), it`s not only lighter weight but 3.6v bulbs are much more usefull than 2.4v, even for LEDs, it`s easier to get a LED to run at 3.7v without a driver than any 2.4v!

I run my old 2D Mag on 6 Fujiloops in a couple of 3 AA to D cell series adapters with a old Mag PR xenon 6 cell bulb (the old PR xenon bulbs are much better than krypton or the new bi pin xenons). Two 14500's in eneloop AA to D adapters work too, but the run time is shorter. I used to have a 2C Mag running the same 6 cell PR xenon bulbs with three CR123's in a spacer.

I run my 2 and 3 C cell LED ML25/ML50 Mags on 18650's or 21700's and D cell ML300 on 26650's in 3D printed adapters. It's great not to have to use alkalines for anything.

The advances in battery and LED technology over the last 15-20 years has been amazing.

Yep typo! That’s the only thing I don’t care for. I like lights with removable batteries so I can keep an extra in my pocket

Just received a Jaxman U1c 365nm UV light. Pretty sweet... seems really bright however the only thing I can compare it with is my Acebeam UC15 (:

Quote Originally Posted by Optiblue View Post
    I'm guessing you meant LD70! If it's that one I completely agree and I absolutely love mine as well. The fact that it runs stable at 900 lumens and fits on a keychain is the new times we're in! As for the MS03, I feel like when I need that much light, I'm going to be in the wilderness setting and that's when I need more run time. I use my thrunite Tn36 which is the same thing but bigger. The run times is greatly extended! All moot points if you can bring extra batteries though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12