Need a new tactical light (simple UI with tail-switch)

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Last several years my EDC has been a ZL SC600w IV Plus and I love it. This will continue to be my EDC. What I am thinking of doing is ADDING a secondary flashlight strictly for use with my defensive handgun. So for this I want something with a more old school UI - mainly momentary-full click. Ideally this would have either ONE mode or HIGH first and then no more than 3 levels at the most. I have two Hound Dog 18650s for around the house/farm but obviously the heads are two big for EDC. Also I did switch over to ONLY single-cell lights a long time ago and I wanna retain that. To summarize here is what I am after:

enough lumens to temporarily blind

simple butt-switch design with momentary and click to lock

prefer warm/neutral but could live with cool tint

single cell - 18650 or AA or CR123a

pocketable and MUST have a nice clip (bezel down)

head should be no larger than the head of my ZL

body should be 1 inch or smaller diameter

Models I am considering:

Malkoff MDC something (although stock here is almost ALWAYS a problem)

Armytek Partner C1 tactical (finding much info on this has been frustrating....never have found any pics or video talking about or even showing the clip installed)

SureFire E1B-MV Backup

--------

I am open to looking at other models/brands.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta Alpha with a variety of tactical switch options

same size as your ZL 600

a good selection of clip options, bezels, and optics

I would strongly recommend the 315 lumen version, as the 415 tint is terribly yellow.

Jim

edit I also like the Surefire Backup series also.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Thanks. I had an Elzetta Alpha. I really hated the light pattern. I had the 315. Just seemed to have an UGLY light. I guess I am spoiled by years of different Malkoffs and ZLs (and old Surefires before those)

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Are the Fenix TK series lights reliable? I seen some Amazon reviews complaining about the mode switch failing. Specifically looking at the TK15UE

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just go with the SureFire. What you are wanting it for and the fact that you aren't put off by the cost tells me that really you should just buy that.

No point in buying something else that doesn't quite fit your needs or may be something you are completely unfamiliar with...or digging around the internet to find an old C2 to mod. I could recommend a few lights but they don't entirely meet your criteria.

Klarus makes several models (XT series)that utilize a dual tail switch feature to control the output. One is for instant low and level changing, the other is max level only and can be locked on.

Also Olight's newer M2R Pro and Warrior X Pro have switches that function in a "gas pedal" manner with the first stage being about 300 lumens and the full on going up to 1800 lumens for the M2 and 2000 for the Warrior.

I personally carry the original Olight M2T. I chose it over the R (for rechargeable) because at the time I needed to avoid keeping magnets in my pockets. The rechargeable feature also means that there is a magnet on the tail of the light.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I ordered a Fenix PD35 TAC. This will be my first Fenix other than a keychain AAA from many years back. Less than $70 after a coupon code. I'm gonna give it shot. Never was sure of that brand so we will see how it goes. If I end up not liking it I will probably fall back to the Surefire E1B-MV Backup. I really do prefer my 18650 batts though

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
Simple UI usually means surefire. The SF UI is what makes me nearly brand-loyal. All of my handhelds are either single-output-only or "gas pedal" type... The two simplest UI's that I am aware of.
Some of my favorite "Simple UI" EDC's are: G2ZX, P2ZX, EB2-T, and EDCL1-T... and if I'm really feeling rowdy, I'll carry the P3X tactical with a Thyrm clip.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I chose the Fenix over the Surefire for the following reasons:

Both are nasty Cool White...but some newer SF has crappy greenish tint shift

The few SF lights that are 18650 sized have heads that are too wide (and I would have to buy my own pocket clip for them)

The single CR123A SF lights (that I am interested in anyway) have HALF (or less) the lumen output of the PD35

Price - SF would have to do a LOT better in at least one or two of these categories before I would pay 3-4 times the price of the PD35

By any objective measure Surefire just can't compete in 2020. And I HATE saying this as a LONG time SF fan.