Weltool W4 vs Jetbeam M1X

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
A new thread for easy reference quickly comparing the Weltool W4 and Jetbeam M1X LEP lights. What I noticed in particular - the color on the W4 is definitely warmer but has a green quality. The W4's corona is larger while the hotspot is about the same size as the M1X. I think the difference is entirely in the optical lenses. The W4's is floodier. The M1X is brighter by a smidge and closer to white. They both look to throw about the same more or less. Hard to say if these differences affect performance much. Personally I prefer the M1X beam. However, the Jetbeam does seem to step down more quickly. The W4 is heavier and also tad bulkier - pushing the limits on size for a tactical light imo.

Side by side after 30 seconds: left W4 and right M1X -
20200801-044459.jpg

20200719-195845.jpg

W4
20200801-063212.jpg

M1X
20200801-060030.jpg

Last edited:

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
After some further comparisons where I had a good range to compare I discovered some interesting things. I had read some tests by more experienced users with cp measurements that put the Jetbeam at or near 2.3 mcp. That's of course more than the specs the manufacturer gave. The Weltool has a higher cp in their specs than Jetbeam has listed in theirs. What I think I discovered is that the intensity of the M1X at about 200 meters looks to be more to my naked eye than the W4. However when I was able to test them on objects that were 1km away the Weltool seemed suddenly brighter at that distance than the Jetbeam. Is it possible with these LEP lights that the standard lux measurements at specific distances don't accurately predict the actual maximum throw?

Oh and at 1km the Weltool has a significantly wider beam.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: Lux measurements

I have seen many many people much more knowledgeable than I suggest this very thing. LEP lights are likely not be able to be accurately measured intensity-wise within traditional FL1/ ANSI bounds. IDK what would be better specifically, but my W4 seems to "focus" well beyond 10m. More like at 20m or so.

I believe Rasher has had some musings about this topic before, they know LEPs pretty darn well.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn someday that you need to measure these at ranges more like 100m.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
It is 328 meters to the top floor of the AON Center in Chicago. I compared both lights at turn on (1-2 seconds.) Although close, the Jetbeam is brighter.

Jetbeam M1X
20200918-012533.jpg

Weltool W4
20200918-014335.jpg

Last edited:

dalyjc

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the M1X looks whiter. The green hue at the edge of my w4's corona I think is actually a bit closer to yellow. It's similar to the yellow ring you get from placing a lens on a 100w led; a reflection of the yellow material of the LED itself. So its probably just the reflection of the yellow in the phosphor, along the edges. I know the only way to get rid of that on the led with a lens is to make the lens opaque so as to not reflect the yellow. I wonder how the M1X managed to remove it...

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Do you have any information on the black bezel version where the concaved cutouts don't cut into the cooling fins?

There seems to be 2 versions of this light.