arc ls tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
This site could be useful to you http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~jg2t-tjm/item/lshmod/lshmod.html

At the bottom are some pics showing you how to do it.

I've tried to open my Arc LSH-S yesterday with needlenose pliers but I can't turn the damn ring which holds the electronics, regardless how much force I use. (The whole lamp begins to turn in my hand before the ring in the lamp begins to move.

Is there any special trick I don't know of?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Spacemarine said:

Is there any special trick I don't know of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Heat is your friend.

Arc uses loctite (or something) to keep the retainer from backing out when you unscrew the battery tube. I guess when twisties were the rage, a turning battery could snag on the retainer and un-screw it.

Other threads have suggested using hair driers, heat guns or boiling water to soften the locktite first. You have to be VERY careful with heat guns beacuse they can be hot enough to melt solder. I've done that.

The boiling water method is to put the head in a ziplock bag that's rated for grester than 250 degrees. Get as much air out of the bag as possible before dropping it in a pan of hot water. Let it heat for 5 minutes or so, then try again. You don't want to melt the optics.

They make rubber jar lid grippers that may help you hold the head.

Good luck.

This message will self distruct in 10 seconds..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

bhds

Enlightened
Get a cheap pair of snap-ring pliers from the hardware store to use on both the optic and board retaining rings. You may have to grind the sides down to get clearance. Depends on the style.

Use a soldering iron to heat the ring up(be sure to clean the solder off the iron first) You may have to "work" the ring by alternately loosening and tightening it. I small dab of grease-vaseline helps also.

Status
Not open for further replies.