PSA: FDA updates on hand sanitizers consumers should not use

turbodog

Flashaholic
Little FYI for those that are not up to speed on why methanol should NOT be used for sanitizing.

1. not nearly as effective as isopropyl or ethyl alcohol
2. deadly if swallowed
3. can also be absorbed through skin

https://www.methanol.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Methanol-Safety-During-the-COVID-19-Pandemic-3.pdf

Also, do NOT use denatured alcohol for disinfecting. It often contains significant (over 50%) methanol. I am saying this because I have seen some c-19 websites saying you can use denatured if you can't find other alcohols. Composition of denatured is not static. It may contain trace amounts of methanol or almost 100%.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little FYI for those that are not up to speed on why methanol should NOT be used for sanitizing.

1. not nearly as effective as isopropyl or ethyl alcohol
2. deadly if swallowed
3. can also be absorbed through skin

https://www.methanol.org/wp-content...nol-Safety-During-the-COVID-19-Pandemic-3.pdf

Also, do NOT use denatured alcohol for disinfecting. It often contains significant (over 50%) methanol. I am saying this because I have seen some c-19 websites saying you can use denatured if you can't find other alcohols. Composition of denatured is not static. It may contain trace amounts of methanol or almost 100%.

Thanks, for the heads up! ... :thumbsup:

harro

Enlightened
Only hearsay, but in Australia at least, the recommendation is to use a sanitizer with a content of Ethanol/Isopropyl Alcohol, of no less than 60%. AND of course, the good 'ol hand washing on a regular basis and with hot water and soap. We'll knock this bloody C-19 on the head eventually, just might take a bit of time.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Only hearsay, but in Australia at least, the recommendation is to use a sanitizer with a content of Ethanol/Isopropyl Alcohol, of no less than 60%. AND of course, the good 'ol hand washing on a regular basis and with hot water and soap. We'll knock this bloody C-19 on the head eventually, just might take a bit of time.

IIRC 60% sounds a little low. Most over the counter bottles are 70%. If you use over 90% it actually does not do as good a job killing bugs. Then there is dwell time... the time it's left on the surface (or your skin) while still wet. 10 seconds is what is commonly used.

harro

Enlightened
IIRC 60% sounds a little low. Most over the counter bottles are 70%. If you use over 90% it actually does not do as good a job killing bugs. Then there is dwell time... the time it's left on the surface (or your skin) while still wet. 10 seconds is what is commonly used.

Yes, i stand corrected on that, it is a 70% rec. here, after looking it up. Tks td.

nbp

Flashaholic
When I worked in a lab at a blending company we made tons of hand sanitizers. The various tolerances for an assortment of products ranged from about 58% to about 78% alcohol. Most fell right about 65%.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was reading about the novel corona a while back and what makes it so tough is the layer of fat around it. However soap destroys that outter layer, hence why they say wash your hands.

I saw a video somewhere that showed vegetable oil on top of water in a jar. Oil being fat. The filmer shook up the jar and when done the oil quickly separated from water and rose back to the top.

Then he put a few drops of liquid hand soap in the jar and shook it up. Next thing you know that oil was all distributed throughout the water and no longer rose to the top. It actually sank to the bottom after a time.

After watching that I bought a supply of liquid hand soap.