Streamlight 4AA with lithiums

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I've used lithiums in my SL 4AA several times but have never put brand new fresh ones in it. I just dropped in 4 new energizier lithium and have the SL 4AA buring at this very moment.

I originally was going to purchase the SL from brightguy.com and asked them if I could use lithiums in the SL. I was advised yes. However, I've read on this board that they will burn out the SL. I've also heard from some that the latest SL 4AA (mine is newly purchased from Cosco) are not as hard driven as the earlier models which may make a difference. Can anyone verify through long term experience whether or not the lithiums will burn out the SL's bulbs? Many thanks.

chumley

Enlightened
Hi Yukon Jack, If you are referring to the SL 7 led pro-polymer, then I wouldn't run 4 new lithiums in it. The lithiums will drive it harder for a longer time than alcalines.

I use 3 lithiums with a dummy AA in mine and it it runs a long time with fairly constant brightness.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
UPDATE: After letting the SL run for about 20 minutes with the fresh lithiums it became alarmingly hot. Hot enough that it was uncomforable taking the bezel off to get to the batteries. I let it cool than put in 4 alkies and tried it again. After 20 minutes with the Alkies, it got warm but nearly so hot. No bulb damage that I can notice.

This is certainly not a conclusive test. I may well try the lithiums again until their either run out or a blub or two blow.

Latest posts