Wuben        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pandemic supply chain in your area

Default Re: Pandemic supply chain in your area

Costco is still out of bags of beans and canned corn. Only name brand canned green beans available. Cheese has skyrocketed in price (near $18 for 5 lbs. of shreaded and over $7 for a block). Walmart had no sliced new potatoes. Some stores are spacing out aisles wider so people don't notice their lack of product (especially the "nonessential stores that could be closed again at any time). Some stores aren't restocking for fear of more closures. A certain trucking company is now refusing to ship to certain cities, so we don't just have more factories shut down, but less distribution capacity available. Our town is holding a town hall meeting this week at a gym forced to shut down (the owner is facing fines and possible jail time for trying to stay open) to discuss what to do about the closures and how it's destroying the town. Things are not looking good.

There are still a LOT of empty spots on the shelves here. Where those holes are seems to change slightly week by week, but as was said a lot of product gets spread out and the shelves "fronted" so it looks like they're full. TP is in stock, but maybe brands you haven't heard of. Paper towels are tough to come by. Bleach, dish soap both machine and for hand washing are spotty at best. I really think we've just grown accustomed to the lack of choices and quantities we were used to.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

How is it that in central MS the only thing we are out of is name brand Purell and canned Fanta??? All else is in abundant supply.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    How is it that in central MS the only thing we are out of is name brand Purell and canned Fanta??? All else is in abundant supply.
    Not sure... could be those who are having issues are farther away from manufacturing and also have other issues that make it take longer to deliver goods (like riots and policing issues). I know around here shelves restock quickly on some stuff slower on other stuff I think overall the virus is still reducing manufacturing efficiency considerably with distancing, masks, and checks on employees hitting some plants not designed for such considerations to struggle to reduce virus transmission.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I went to Costco this morning They had a sign at the front door.
    Out of Stock:
    Paper towels
    Clorox wipes
    Lysol wipes.

So... I got water, TP and wine.

I haven't seen Clorox wipes or Lysol wipes since March.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Today's trip to the grocery store what stood out was canned veggies. If you walk by on your way to get something else, all looks well. Until you see it's one or two cans deep, and one entire shelf is canned corn. No canned carrots, peas, or potatos. Beans and beets in stock, but again spread out to look like a lot more than what was really there.
    Last edited by scout24; 09-01-2020 at 05:06 AM.

Interesting. Has it been that way, or is this something relatively new?
    Since this all began, fresh veggies have been available, but with the winter months, will this change?

Canned veggies have been in short supply for months. Grab them when you see them. It's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving this year with the food shortages, travel restrictions, and bans on gatherings in many areas. Black Friday will likely be nonexistent or online only. Too many stores going under and nobody has money to spend. Even if everything opened up today, and people got jobs quickly, too many are already in debt up to their eyeballs to have much to spend for anything nonessential this year. I hope that changes. Another stimulus check would help. Kmart is closing and Fry's Electronics has been bare for a year. Small business owners can't operate long with reduced capacities and shutdowns at any time. A lot of business owners are retiring early and moving somewhere more affordable. People are abandoning some of the larger cities as essential services are breaking down and natural disasters are straining resources further. Many want to be in less populated areas away from corona virus hotspots, where they have fewer restrictions, more resources, and better protection. I don't see that trend changing anytime soon with a pandemic and bankrupt cities falling apart.

It's been that way here for months with canned, fresh are available but variety isn't always what it was. What's most unfortunate is we've had two of our favorite local restaurants close this summer. This during the busy "tourist" season.

Most of the seltzer water is wiped out which is strange. La Croix, Bubly, store brand, everything. I was at two stores but not going to drive around just to save a couple dollars.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Canned veggies have been in short supply for months. Grab them when you see them. It's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving this year with the food shortages, travel restrictions, and bans on gatherings in many areas. Black Friday will likely be nonexistent or online only. Too many stores going under and nobody has money to spend. Even if everything opened up today, and people got jobs quickly, too many are already in debt up to their eyeballs to have much to spend for anything nonessential this year. I hope that changes. Another stimulus check would help. Kmart is closing and Fry's Electronics has been bare for a year. Small business owners can't operate long with reduced capacities and shutdowns at any time. A lot of business owners are retiring early and moving somewhere more affordable. People are abandoning some of the larger cities as essential services are breaking down and natural disasters are straining resources further. Many want to be in less populated areas away from corona virus hotspots, where they have fewer restrictions, more resources, and better protection. I don't see that trend changing anytime soon with a pandemic and bankrupt cities falling apart.
    You still have Kmart? They closed all their stores here and also closed all the Sears stores (Kmart owns Sears) years and years ago so them closing the rest of their stores may be less related to the virus than just history repeating itself.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I don`t know if people are using them to stuff masks or what, but coffee filters are getting hard to find now, we had to try 4 different places!?

In my limited sampling of the DFW area most staples are available, however isopropyl alcohol remains stubbornly out of stock.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    I don`t know if people are using them to stuff masks or what, but coffee filters are getting hard to find now, we had to try 4 different places!?
    Not totally surprising as instead of everyone sharing the same coffee makers at work more people are at home and the stress of it all has them constantly incoffeecated. In other words probably more coffee makers are in use now due to the virus.

---Nebraska/Iowa---

From big box chains to mom and pop stores Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa are largely back to normal. The more densely populated city and metro areas were slower to recover but not too far behind. Life is good in the corn fields.

For what it is worth I did not see a lot of hoarding. What I did see were people responding to politicians telling them to prepare to shelter in place for one week, then two, then a month. A little math tells me most families with children figured kids being home all day would mean twice the toilet paper. With no small number of households suddenly doubling, tripling or quadrupling their weekly grocery and toiletry amounts (again, just following their fearless leaders and talking heads) it is a miracle supplies kept up as well as they did.

I tell all of my friends and family who lost their minds over the alleged wide spread hoarding that this is their chance to never go unprepared again. I have had a few ask what I think they should stock. The answer is always - whatever you don't want to stand in line for.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Now that you mention it coffee filters are in short supply in my area. They were gone for a while but did return as summer wore on. The stores have some but not many now.
    But we had bought 1500 (10x150 packs) prior so we never had an issue.
    John 3:16

Oh darn, I forgot to look for coffee filters when I went to the store today. I don't need them because I use a re-useable screen filter that came with my unit.

I did a little hording protection today.
    The store was well stocked with TP and paper towels, and a variety of meats.

Paper towels 15 = 28 rolls of Scott brand. $15.00
    and 7 lbs of 85% lean chopped meat. @ $2.99/lb. On sale I guess for the upcoming labor day weekend bar b ques.
    I have a press and will turn that into about 24 burgers that start out between 1/3rd lb and 1/4 lb each.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12