HDS Systems        

Thread: Zebralight questions

Default Zebralight questions

Hello all,

I did a search to see if this has already been discussed, but I could only find info about Customer Service. So I have always carried flashlights but just recently started stepping into, what I would consider, to be Mid range edc lights. I recently found a deal on a used Zebralight and I REALLY enjoy the UI. As a general consensus on here, how good or bad are these lights? Yes, this is somewhat of a “validate my purchase post” but I will absolutely be buying more if they are good to go. Thanks for any info!

Default Re: Zebralight questions

They’re awesome! Great buy!

Great lights, which one did you get?

Flashaholic

They are excellent and well worth the cost.
    Right-angle is the right angle!

Nothing wrong with a Zebra at all. Solid lights and headlamps.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

I have an H30 headlamp that gets nightly use fastened to the back of my hat for the last 8 years. still flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
    Great lights, which one did you get?
    I picked up a SC63. I am really enjoying it! Instant for any mode I want with SIMPLE clicks. Great size too. Not a fan of it only taking flat tops, but if that’s the worst problem, I’m happy. I appreciate all of the input...time to pick up another one.

The User Interface is more customisable on the newer models (e.g. SC64c LE).

There are additional "groups". You can switch from Group 5 to Group 6 or 7 and set H1, H2, M1, M2, L1 and L2 to whatever you want.

For example:
    I've configured Group 6 of my SC64c LE to use:
    H1 0.05 Lm, H2 1.9 Lm
    M1 533 Lm, M2 828 Lm
    L1 37 Lm, L2 83 Lm

barry_baltimode posted a nice flowchart recently for selecting a flashlight from Zebralight:
    https://imgur.com/a/C5p2Uqn

I like the H600Fc. It's a pretty floody headlamp.

Zebralight guys are always great to work with, but it doesn’t come up often because of the solid product they make. Good communication when there are issues or delays.

Quote Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
    The User Interface is more customisable on the newer models (e.g. SC64c LE).

There are additional "groups". You can switch from Group 5 to Group 6 or 7 and set H1, H2, M1, M2, L1 and L2 to whatever you want.

For example:
    I've configured Group 6 of my SC64c LE to use:
    H1 0.05 Lm, H2 1.9 Lm
    M1 533 Lm, M2 828 Lm
    L1 37 Lm, L2 83 Lm

barry_baltimode posted a nice flowchart recently for selecting a flashlight from Zebralight:
    https://imgur.com/a/C5p2Uqn

I like the H600Fc. It's a pretty floody headlamp.
    Oh... dang. I purchased a new one last night. I would still be able to keep it simple though correct? Without having to deal with the extra groups? I’m happy with three different modes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadethreads View Post
    Zebralight guys are always great to work with, but it doesn’t come up often because of the solid product they make. Good communication when there are issues or delays.
    Thats comforting. One of the more recent posts was inquiring about Customer Service. I couldn’t find much pointing either way on long term hold up. Thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by Baggs View Post
    Without having to deal with the extra groups? I’m happy with three different modes now.
    Yeah. You can just use the 3 modes H, M and L as is. Or you can switch to a different group and change H to be low etc. On the older UI you can't change H1 and H2 to any output level. The new UI let's you customise it more.

You still just have single click, double click and hold for H, M and L. Along with 3 click strobe and 4 click battery check.

I just purchased theSc63 too! just started playing with it. Its my first zebra light and so far i think its awesome!

My 1st was an SC64w HI that I've owned for a month or so. I really enjoy it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Zebralights are my favorite light. I prefer the headlamps, but the regular flashlights are just as reliable. Very tough lights!

Flashaholic*

I have 10 Zebralights: 5 lights and 4 headlamps. They all work good and never had an issue, top notch quality. The UI is good but I like the UI of Thrunite more.

I love my zebralights. They are a good combination of quality, price, size, brightness and good user interface.

The new programmable interface is especially nice. I would like to see them change it so the feature where you hold the button and the light turns on and then ramps from low to high is not affected by programming the different levels. That's really my only complaint. Direct access to different levels from off is super nice and very well executed.

Banned

Zebralight is the finest and most advanced flashlight ever manufactured. Only custom-built super high end lights can compete, and only because of their expensive materials... not their drivers.
    Last edited by chillinn; 08-24-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    Zebralight is the finest and most advanced flashlight ever manufactured. Only custom-built super high end lights can compete, and only because of their expensive materials... not their drivers.
    That does depend on intended use and priorities. Zebralights are well made, efficient lights with tons of modes that are very tough to beat. The are also good in terms of brightness per size.

On the other hand, if I was looking for a light that I could abuse and still trust my life with, I'd be looking elsewhere. Maybe Malkoff or Elzetta? That's not my priority so Zebralight is perfect for me. I do wish they would make some with tail switches.... Again, it depends what you want.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by timbo813 View Post
    That does depend on intended use and priorities.
    A fair point. I would not recommend ZL for the uses Malkoff excels at... ZL probably can take some abuse, but it is more like a sports car than a tank.

I have not bought a Zebralight yet, but I am interested in them because they enjoy a rock solid loyal customer base. I have kept up with reading customer feedback. Things that I have heard: electronics are potted for maximum reliability, and construction is solid for best heat manageament, and also Zebralight drivers are the most efficient.
    Think of how hostile the average surface of the earth is, and realize half of the surface of the earth is more hostile than that.

Being a fairly new ZL owner, I'm somewhat surprised with those making the ZL product sound like it's not a tough or reliable as other products.

I guess I don't understand that reasoning. From what I've read, it's pretty much a single tube, with fully potted electronics.

How can it not be reliable?

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Banned

Zebralight is darn reliable, but still not recommend for attaching to a weapon and submitting it to the shock of discharge and recoil over and over and over. And don't use it as a hammer, either. It survives dropping, and at least in one case, sliding against asphalt when one CPF member laid his bike down (at least for a good while before it finally stopped working).

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Being a fairly new ZL owner, I'm somewhat surprised with those making the ZL product sound like it's not a tough or reliable as other products.

I guess I don't understand that reasoning. From what I've read, it's pretty much a single tube, with fully potted electronics.

How can it not be reliable?

Out of the two ZL i have my SC52F didn't survive a fall from my pocket as i was standing up, >1 meter onto concrete, whereas the SC5c II had major parasitic drain issues from the start. The first was completely my fault and the only applicable one here, but i was hoping with the reputation that it'd be able to take that on the nose and just keep on kicking, which wasn't the case here. I don't know why exactly it failed, a solder joint knocked loose or even the button getting detached inside the flashlight itself, but it was dead. ZL has had a good rep for years with some people not being satisfied, but the last 2 years or so i've seen more and more cases pop up regarding failures that really shouldn't happen, so maybe ZL has changed something in their production.

EDIT - detailed discussion regarding "potting versus conformal coating" debate, here ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-To-Zebralight

(starting about ~ Post #50 & on)
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-06-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Enlightened

If anyone else has some reliability stories on new zebralights I’d like to hear them, lookin at SC700 soon.

Anyone have an SC53w they're looking to get rid of? Shoot me the details via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Anyone have an SC53w they're looking to get rid of? Shoot me the details via PM....
    Could you update your "WTB Zebralights" thread instead of trying to do business here in the discussion side of the forums ?
    ... is the archimedes peak