LEDs can have a negative effect on your health and eyesight.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://tapnewswire.com/2016/10/to-protect-your-health-and-vision-stick-to-incandescent-lights/ --I came upon this website while doing a search and felt like I needed to share it with y'all. The article says that the red in sunlight, candles and incandescent lighting is good for you and healing. The warm white LEDs may appear warm, but still aren't close to incandescent lighting. If you have to use LEDs, use ones with the highest CRI (97). Also, the flickering (pwm?) of LEDs is also bad for you. Good news though, in another article on another website from December of last year our president deregulated the legislation that was going to kill off incandescent lighting. Bad news from another website says he's being sued for doing that. If our president wins this we can at least have access to healthy lighting again. Don't get me wrong, I find LEDs very handy, useful and efficient, but after reading the article I posted, I might start ordering some incan bulbs.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this has been known for a while now, we are programmed for, sunlight, fire, candles, oil/other fuel lamps, incandescent bulbs for reasons mentioned in the article.
I think LED's are convenient for many reasons except your health.
We now walk at night in our local large forested reserve. My wife used to carry a small LED light but since trying out a variety of my incan flashlights, she prefers them even though they are larger and heavier.
Having said all this.....when we will get our next camper trailer, we will insist on installing only warm white LED's in it, yes in this case the convenience factor wins for various reasons....our flashlights will remain incan....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I found some halogen bulbs for a table lamp recently. Made in USA too.

For flashlights I really like Tung Sol bulbs. Nice beam, nice sunset glow. They were produced before krypton and xenon entered the scene. Maglite bulbs are the most durable for PR based lights but those Tung Sol and Chicago Miniatures (from the 1960's) just put out a nice color.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered some bulbs for my solitaire and today I checked my email and Tony Maglica has written me a personalized thank you message because I bought something from them. - Now that is a nice touch indeed. Never got that from Walmart, white's or home depot when I bought a maglite. I invited them to come on the forum since fenix is already on here and there are a lot of people here that like maglites.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
My android is the main source of blue light, so last night I installed a blue light filter from google play and also a pulsating red light app that is supposed to be a healthy thing to look at--don't know about the latter, but I got sleepy as soon as I started using the blue light filter and it wasn't too long I done went to bed. Maybe that is why I stayed up all night long and got sleepy when I saw the sun. The sun was giving me what I needed to go to sleep compared to my android robbing me of it. Now I understand--I thought I was just weird or something.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bykfixer, a dorcy 4.2 volt krypton bulb in a old 4aa flashlight of mine puts out a beautiful beam of light. It is the original bulb that came with the flashlight too. It seems to have a warmer color temp to it than rayovac or maglite bulbs--krypton or xenon. I like the whiter color of the mag bulbs, but now that I know the red spectrum is good for you I can appreciate the warmer tints more.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, those argon gas bulbs put out a nice color.

I don't know if colors help or hurt my sleep. All I know is when the sun goes down my body thinks it bedtime. Man at time change when the sun goes down an hour sooner I'm all drowsy by 6. Maybe it's from working outdoors.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be Mr. Bykfixer. I've been working dayshift lately- 7am-7pm. I mostly sit in my truck. I do good to get 4 hours sleep a night time I get home, eat and unwind. Most of the time I unwind on my phone and I feel like this blue light filter is helping me go to bed sooner. 6 hours sleep would be great.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I always like to read in bed for a good half hour before sleep and Always use an Incan light in the dark, my partner is on her tablet thingy until 3 or 4 in the morning and keeps saying she`s just not tired! I think I`ll sugest this blue light filter to her :cool:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mrs. Katherine, I was like that, but sometimes I didn't go to bed till 5am. I was strickly a nightshift person, but I did this even on my off days. A while back when I was unemployed I would go to bed usually around 3am and get up around 10 or 10:30 am. This was before I gave in to having a cell phone or computer--before 2003. So, I guess staying up late is natural for me or was. I just don't need some android keeping me up later.
I got in bed a little after 10:30pm last night which is good, but had to wake up at 4am just to get to work on time. I was 4 minutes late though.

I want to thank candlepowerforums for upgrading my status.

Uh, I just posted a smilie in this post, but the system posted another. Had to delete it because it was embarrassing.

Last edited:

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
Really hope we can get a victory for the incandescents, I too love my LED's but just ordered a 4D Xenon maglite to add to my collection and I still love using my mini maglite with the incandescent, very easy on the eyes and bright enough to use to walk to the bathroom at night.

I might even pick up a 3D Incandescent for fun.

Also, this is making me want to break out my Wickedlasers Torch again... Really enjoy that one, bright as I could need and I can start my camp fire with it if I so choose.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes sir mrsteel, I miss the old days when we didn't have as many choices and incan lighting was good enough. Flashlights were cheap with the most expensives ones just being around $20. If you got tired of the ones you had to whack every now and then you could just buy a better one and be done with it. I just hated that it didn't take long to get the lense dirty and then out of ignorance I would scratch it trying to clean it. I heard of surefire and streamlight from hunting mags, but thought they were specifically for guns and had a non adjustible laser beam which wasn't good for general purpose. I had a 2d maglite and a rayovac industrial safety light and I was purty well satisfied concerning flashlights.
I guess LEDS are useful for me to a degree because they help to keep me awake while working on a vehicle at night--which is my favorite time to do that. I don't want to fall asleep under a vehicle and wake up with ants on me. My ol truck must love me because it seems to find reasons for us to spend some quality time together. Next up I need to check and maybe replace the wheel bearings because ol truck seems to be steering weird.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have posted other articles discussing the same MIT innovation, but this one that claims a product is now available is news to me. Might be years or decades, but incandescents more efficient than LED are coming. I am not sure the innovation can translate to flashlights, small or large, but I will be happy to see them for installed lighting.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There is also a design in Korea using tiny mirrors to amplify the light output.
Imagine the two combining.

Right now I have a table lamp using 60 watt incan bulb to keep the wife's bird cage warm. The heat of the bulb next to the cage using the lamp shades as a funnel for the heat to rise warms up the steel bars, acting as a radiator and instead of some multi hundred watt thing it only uses 60. I don't think the bird cares about the tint. Hope not anyway.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good ideal bykfixer, I would like to try that if I ever hatch out some more baby chicks. Those big bulbs use too much electricity and they aren't real durable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As you know, light bulbs put out a lot of heat. It's placing metal objects near one that multiplies the heat radiation.
Years ago while living at my brothers he used an electric radiator in his bathroom since his wood heated home only had one stove. The radiator did ok if he put it on max. One day I rolled it over to his porcelan pedestal sink and used the cermaic sink as an additional radiator. At first he was skeptical but after a couple of days had turned the radiator down to low.
In his kitchen he would drink coffee next to a radiator with a jacket on. I slid a small table lamp under his mostly metal chair. Again he was skeptical. But after about an hour of sitting over top of a 60 watt light bulb he was peeling off his jacket. Now he uses table lamps near metal objects as radiators since even the curly fry bulbs he uses put off plenty of heat.

My home does not have any LED bulbs in lamps. Just CFL or light bulbs so I really cannot say if LED lights affect my sleep.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
since his wood heated home only had one stove.

Not sure it matters now, but if you come across such a set up. 6" computer fans in one of the top corners of all the doorways spreads the heat throughout the house, making only one stove work everywhere. So the bathroom door would stay open, usually, then shut when in use. Not my idea, but I have seen this used to excellent effect. I am a huge fan of wood burning stoves, especially the small modern ones. I hope someday to have a need for and money for and get a Kimberly. Outrageously expensive, but super efficient, super neat stove.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a wood burning stove in my trailer. It burns so hot we have to open both doors even if it is very cold outside. Its one of those boxwood stoves. We have to feed it just right or it will put out too little or too much. I've also have 4 90 degree pipes mixed into my stovepipe to retain heat.