Recommended light for Emergency use ( lost in desert or SOS )

khaledS600

Newly Enlightened
hi everyone,

First, I want to thank you all for all this useful advice on this forum. I'm new to Flashlight world but I did my homework well.

My needs :
my main use on the flashlight on emergencies, usually I'm camping in the desert outside without network signal. I have several hand flashlight which can cover the daily use. I need something strong and have adjustable beam with the high build quality, if I lost I can use it. regarding the batteries and sizes, I don't actually care but i dont want it to be Very BIG XD . I found several options ( Led Lenser x21, M18 ) but I don't know that well. my price range 100-300$ Max.

Sorry for my bad English

thanks a lot for your help

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
whichever host you end up buying, I`d probably go with the hotest color temp you can 6500K and upwards, the cooler colors towards the red (2700k-4000K) wont show up so good amongst the sand whereas a more Blue tint will.
perhaps even consider taking a laser with you as well ;)

Last edited:

khaledS600

Newly Enlightened
whichever host you end up buying, I`d probably go with the hotest color temp you can 6500K and upwards, the cooler colors towards the red (2700k-4000K) wont show up so good amongst the sand whereas a more Blue tint will.
perhaps even consider taking a laser with you as well ;)

Your right , I will go with 5000k-6500k

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on whether you camp regularly or occasionally you may want to get a used iridium 9505a satphone and rent a sim card for the period you need. You would not much exceed a few hundred $, and it is much more versatile in real emergency

khaledS600

Newly Enlightened
Depending on whether you camp regularly or occasionally you may want to get a used iridium 9505a satphone and rent a sim card for the period you need. You would not much exceed a few hundred $, and it is much more versatile in real emergency

Great idea I will consider it , thanks alot

325addict

Enlightened
What about a roughly 1,000 Lumen STROBE mode that will last >168 hours (indeed, a full WEEK day and night!) on a single 3500mAh 18650? If this appeals to you: don't look any further than the Nitecore SRT7 in its latest incarnation. This one has everything you may ever need: from 0.2 Lumens to over 1000, comfortably and steplessly(!) selectable by turning the selector ring. With this single ring, you can select all modes, from strobe to red / green / blue, normal light 0.2 - 1000+ Lumens, and that beacon. A truly all-purpose light of high quality and dependability. It has a forward clicky switch at the back and is able to tailstand. What do you want more?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH10 v2. 1500 hours on 1 lumen low. 55 lumens for 46 hours (bright enough for hiking). 300 lumens for 8 hours. 1200 lumens for 3 hours 45 minutes. Takes a 21700, 18650, or 2 CR123As.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want a light that can stand up to anything and is WELL build, I would look at Malkoff and/or Elzetta lights, or even some Surefires. Most of these options should not exceed 150 - 200 Dollars and they will last you forever. They might not have many modes or features such as strobe, and other lights might be brighter for the money, but not much out there short of a custom light will beat a Malkoff or Elzetta in quality, durability and ease of use. In a Survival/Emergency situation, that's what you want. Also, Malkoff and Elzetta are modular, and can easily switch one component (such as the tailcap or head) for another with different features or a different LED/brightness/modes.

Look at the Elzetta Bones, Bravo and Charlie lights, or at the Malkoff M61. Malkoff makes some larger lights with more output as well. They can be gotten in different Colour temperatures (including Cool). All of these lights either run on two CR123 primary cells (which can be substituted for a 16650/16640 rechargeable), or an 18650 rechargeable.

One great advantage with Elzetta or Malkoff lights is that their Output it well regulated, and you get full (or near full) brightness for a long time before the output starts to drop significantly.

Surefire also makes some good solid options, such as the G2 series or the 6PX. P1R also takes a 18650 rechargeable, but is significantly more pricey. Fury does as well but it does not hold its 1500 Lumens for very long. Older Surefires are probably more durable with more consistent output, but they will besignificantly less bright (if thats important to you), and might not be able to handle rechargeables.

I should also mention that all of these lights are fully made in the US (apart from the LEDs), and not made in china. If that means anything to you.

Last edited: