I got the last available XeVision 85W Spotlight

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I wanted to get this when Dan first announced, and was so happy he still had one last 85W Spotlight out of the 10 he made. Should have it next week!

Thanks also to Karlthev for his feedback and glowing praise. I didn't get the larger SP head as it added a lot to the cost and makes the light very front heavy.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT. Were these even advertised? Nice. I hope to see some feedback on this one when you have time.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Dan recently mentioned one the other thread that he had one left. This may have been their spare in case a replacement was needed.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT. Were these even advertised? Nice. I hope to see some feedback on this one when you have time.

These were advertised back in mid 2018 (all delivered in late 2018), search for the "ULTRA 85" thread. Only 10 numbered units were made 1-10/10 this was unit #5 the only one left.
We still have a spare 40/85W ballast encase of any future issues with these limited edition units.
In the last year I had mentioned a few times in related threads we still had 1 unit left.
These will never be produced again.
the normal wattage for these XV-LX70 units is 50/70.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Where there ever comparison beamshots vs the Polarion and Barn Burner? I thought that was the all time best name for a light. Barnburner!!!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just got my Lemax 85W from Dan, and this far exceeds my expectations. The craftsmanship, attention to details, and performance are really incredible. The weight and balance of this standard model is great. I can now see why it costs this much because this is like a high-end military grade spotlight with superb manufacturing and functionality.

The only thing that caught me off guard was I had assumed at this wattage that Dan had used the Philips DL-50 Fatboy bulb, but it is not. I sent him a question about that, but he may see this post and can say why. In any case with how everything is built and performing, it blows me away, and I'm not easily impressed. Honestly, my opinion now looking at it, I would say it is underpriced by $1,000-1500.

I would never think about selling it for less than $3500, that's for sure.

I'll know more when it gets dark, but wanted to post my first impressions.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Lemax 85W from Dan, and this far exceeds my expectations. The craftsmanship, attention to details, and performance are really incredible. The weight and balance of this standard model is great. I can now see why it costs this much because this is like a high-end military grade spotlight with superb manufacturing and functionality.

The only thing that caught me off guard was I had assumed at this wattage that Dan had used the Philips DL-50 Fatboy bulb, but it is not. I sent him a question about that, but he may see this post and can say why. In any case with how everything is built and performing, it blows me away, and I'm not easily impressed. Honestly, my opinion now looking at it, I would say it is underpriced by $1,000-1500.

I would never think about selling it for less than $3500, that's for sure.

Its not "like" a hgh-end military grade searchlight, that is exactly what it is and was always meant to be. Many military, Search and rescue and Police organizations are using the 50/70 units around the world. We recently sold 80 units to a middle eastern Navy and soon about 200 units to another nation, the other side of the globe.

We wanted to keep the price of the ULTRA 85 limited edition (10 numbered units) under $3,000.00 Using the Fat Boy bulb would have pushed it higher by about $150. The only significant advantage is longer life, so we included a 2nd GE D2S bulb as standard instead of putting the price at $3100 or more, instead of $2,995.00 as it was. Also, the FatBoy is much more easily broken if dropped, due to the very narrow glass support at its base. The arc gap is slightly smaller on the FatBoy which could likely make a tighter hotspot and reach even farther. The initial brightness would be about the same using either bulb. Since you have quite a few of the FatBoys you can easily experiment. The other issue with the FatBoy, you can hot restrike (restart) it, but no fast off and back on, no "strobing" is possible. You need to wait at least a few seconds to restart it after turning it off.
If you do use a FatBoy, you will need to crush the ceramic tube material off the return wire.

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxLuther: Congrats on the taking the leap and making the purchase. If it meets your expectations now.....get the SuperPower head and it will blow you away! :eek: The heads swap out easy.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
luxLuther: Congrats on the taking the leap and making the purchase. If it meets your expectations now.....get the SuperPower head and it will blow you away! :eek: The heads swap out easy.

I know it would add performance, but it's a quite expensive option, and throws off the weight balance, so I didn't want to get that option. Thanks though!