Recommend me a right angled flashlight for bug out kit

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hey guys!

I'm building bug out kits for my family of 3. Thinking of keeping right angled flashlights into each of the bags so they can be clipped onto bag straps. I have a few criteria, not sure whether there is any match in the current market:

Absolute needs
- Replaceable single AA / 14500 battery.
- High mode > 400 lumen, runtime > 60mins
- Medium mode > 50 lumen, runtime > 180mins
- Waterproof
- Drop proof

Good to have:
- Warm or neutral tint
- Magnetic tail end (torn between need or want)
- Built-in micro USB charging
- High mode > 500 lumen, runtime > 60mins

It will be great if you can include links. Appreciate your suggestions in advance!

JJ

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Punching those requirements into my database finds only 1 light that comes close: the Rofis R2. Goes for about $40.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I'd checked out he E03 but I heard quite negative reviews about its reliability. I have a bunch of AAs in my kit, so they will not fit into the E02. But thanks for your recommendations.

the Manker E02 is 420 lumens, but it`s AAA so won`t have the runtimes of an AA batt.
here`s a link though: http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e...lashlight-with-magnetic-tail-reversible-clip/

and there`s also the Trend Angle twist, but it`s an 18650 batt. Here: https://www.trenddirectuk.com/tch-at-b75r-torch-led-angle-twist-rechargeable-300-lumens

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for recommendation. The high on AA lithium is kind of low. Does AA lithium = 14500?

No. AA lithium is same chemistry as CR123As but 1.5 volts, not rechargeable. 14500 is Li-Ion rechargeable at 4.2 volts.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys!

I'm building bug out kits for my family of 3. Thinking of keeping right angled flashlights into each of the bags so they can be clipped onto bag straps. I have a few criteria, not sure whether there is any match in the current market:

Absolute needs
- Replaceable single AA / 14500 battery.
- High mode > 400 lumen, runtime > 60mins
- Medium mode > 50 lumen, runtime > 180mins

Yeah, you're just not going to find any 1xAA light that can do 400 lumens for over 60 minutes. Zebralight tends to have among the brightest and most efficient 1xAA lights, and you'll only get that kind of output for about half your required time.

Your medium mode requirement is easy, and just about any 1xAA light should do that.

I'd suggest one of Zebralight's 1xAA headlamps, but they're missing most of your "good to have". If you're willing to go up to one of Zebralights 18650 headlamps, something like the H600Fc easily meets most of your requirements, and it's almost as small as a 1xAA light. No built-in charging, though, nor magnetic tailcap.

If you're willing to use a 18650 headlamp that's a little larger, the Astrolux HL01 meets all your requirements and all your wants, and is fairly cheap. It might be the best option, if you're planning to clip it to a bag. The size won't be much of an issue in that case.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi,

Which ZL AA would you recommend? I noticed most of the AA models are quite dated and not sure which is the latest of them. And which of the AA takes 14500 as well?

JJ

Yeah, you're just not going to find any 1xAA light that can do 400 lumens for over 60 minutes. Zebralight tends to have among the brightest and most efficient 1xAA lights, and you'll only get that kind of output for about half your required time.

Your medium mode requirement is easy, and just about any 1xAA light should do that.

I'd suggest one of Zebralight's 1xAA headlamps, but they're missing most of your "good to have". If you're willing to go up to one of Zebralights 18650 headlamps, something like the H600Fc easily meets most of your requirements, and it's almost as small as a 1xAA light. No built-in charging, though, nor magnetic tailcap.

If you're willing to use a 18650 headlamp that's a little larger, the Astrolux HL01 meets all your requirements and all your wants, and is fairly cheap. It might be the best option, if you're planning to clip it to a bag. The size won't be much of an issue in that case.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Which ZL AA would you recommend? I noticed most of the AA models are quite dated and not sure which is the latest of them. And which of the AA takes 14500 as well?

JJ

I'd go with the H53Fc, or the H53c (if you don't want a frosted lens). Unfortunately, they only take AA. If you can find the older version, the H52, I believe it will take 14500 as well. I like that option in my older Zebralights, though I seldom use it.

But, again, I think a small 18500 design, like the H600Fc, better matches your requirements. Or an Astrolux HL01.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think that if you really need the runtime at the output asked for you may want to consider 18650 based lights and include 1-2 extra 18650 batteries in each kit in battery cases. 18650 can easily handle all your runtime and output needs and even though it is larger a high capacity 18650 can match or beat 3-4 AA batteries (or 14500s). You can get lights with built in charging or buy cheap single 18650 chargers if you buy a light without built in charging. I strongly recommend investing in at least one separate charger so if you discharge more than the cells in the lights (swapping them out with fresh ones) you can more quickly restore your batteries. I have a few AA and 14500 lights they aren't high end but rather cheap clone lights and even though they are smaller I almost always grab the 18650 lights instead of the AAs the slightly larger size is more comfortable.
18650 right angle headlamp IMO are the ultimate utility light as you can use them headlamp mode or pull them out of the headlamp harness and use them as a flashlight. People often desire AA format because they can buy primaries in a pinch to continue using them but if you do need 400 lumens the best primary battery is not going to be able to produce that output as it is only 1.8V (Energizer Lithium L91). It would take about 8 14500s to equal 2 3400 18650s and they take up more space and cost more. IMO AA alkaleaks are a bad bet in a bug out bag as they tend to leak regardless of brand and you have a constant drain or annoyance of having to cycle them in/out of the bags with the lithium ion batteries you would probably need to check them 1-2 times a year and with 18650s even if they discharge faster than 14500s (they don't) you will still have more power in them after sitting for several years untouched.

If you still have concerns about running out of batteries and think you will need to resort to alkaleaks I would consider an inexpensive 1AA flashlight in addition. This light can be given away and if damaged by alkaleakage it can be tossed. Us flashaholics wouldn't have a single light in a bugout bag we would probably have at least 3 lights... a Headlamp, a quality flashlight, and a cheaper flashlight to loan/give out as if you are bugging out most likely you will come across people that aren't prepared that have no light and want to "borrow" your not so cheap lights and abuse and lose them for you.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Right Angle, Left Field Suggestion---

If you are trying to equip multiple people with a right angle light good enough for most utility tasks I have a suggestion all though it is a bit out of your specifications but perhaps you will like it.

I work with a lot of young troops so over the years I have been able to trade with them for a lot of neat equipment. One thing in particular has been the Stream Light Sidewinder, the full size version that takes two AA's. I am not sure if I am supposed to or not but I typically run plain Energizer rechargeable AA's in the Sidewinders without issue.

I believe the highest compliment and best testament for any light is that my kids have never been able to break it. Things gets smashed and banged up when they play flashlight tag as they are usually rolling, climbing and crawling around. I make them use the Sidewinders for the red, blue and green light capabilities rather than throwing bright white light through neighboring windows.

I have been told Stream Light makes a sportsman's version with higher lumens but all of mine are military issue, most being the aviation model. By the way the aviation Sidewinder models are capable of throwing tones over certain radio frequencies to aid location and rescue. I never knew this until trading lights at a local military surplus store. The store owner turned on an old radio and tuned into the Sidewinder's distress signal to demonstrate. Blew my mind.

For my mileage the Sidewinders would be just about the perfect light if only they were a little brighter and USB rechargeable. The Sidewinder Compact II is also pretty neat but probably not at all what you are after. I only keep one of those around because it can run on 16340 type batteries. I try keeping a few lights in every "caliber" for maximum capabilities.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
I think that if you really need the runtime at the output asked for you may want to consider 18650 based lights and include 1-2 extra 18650 batteries in each kit in battery cases. 18650 can easily handle all your runtime and output needs and even though it is larger a high capacity 18650 can match or beat 3-4 AA batteries (or 14500s). You can get lights with built in charging or buy cheap single 18650 chargers if you buy a light without built in charging. I strongly recommend investing in at least one separate charger so if you discharge more than the cells in the lights (swapping them out with fresh ones) you can more quickly restore your batteries. I have a few AA and 14500 lights they aren't high end but rather cheap clone lights and even though they are smaller I almost always grab the 18650 lights instead of the AAs the slightly larger size is more comfortable.
18650 right angle headlamp IMO are the ultimate utility light as you can use them headlamp mode or pull them out of the headlamp harness and use them as a flashlight. People often desire AA format because they can buy primaries in a pinch to continue using them but if you do need 400 lumens the best primary battery is not going to be able to produce that output as it is only 1.8V (Energizer Lithium L91). It would take about 8 14500s to equal 2 3400 18650s and they take up more space and cost more. IMO AA alkaleaks are a bad bet in a bug out bag as they tend to leak regardless of brand and you have a constant drain or annoyance of having to cycle them in/out of the bags with the lithium ion batteries you would probably need to check them 1-2 times a year and with 18650s even if they discharge faster than 14500s (they don't) you will still have more power in them after sitting for several years untouched.

If you still have concerns about running out of batteries and think you will need to resort to alkaleaks I would consider an inexpensive 1AA flashlight in addition. This light can be given away and if damaged by alkaleakage it can be tossed. Us flashaholics wouldn't have a single light in a bugout bag we would probably have at least 3 lights... a Headlamp, a quality flashlight, and a cheaper flashlight to loan/give out as if you are bugging out most likely you will come across people that aren't prepared that have no light and want to "borrow" your not so cheap lights and abuse and lose them for you.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

I was going to recommend the same thing and that would be to go with 18650 headlamp, that way you'll have the run time you want and you'll have the output you want. Buy the L-shaped headlamp you like along with 2 extra batteries for each headlamp along with a 4 battery charger and you'll be all set imo.

The two headlamps I have is a Fenix HL55vn and then I just picked up a Fenix HM61R on Black Friday that I really enjoy using as much as I can. I've actually converted my entire family to a headlamp family after letting them either borrow mine or buying them their own as a gift.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
single AA, right angle, and can take 14500s. magnetic tail, goes up to 600lm, it has the be the Manker E03II.
I didn`t have mine or know it even existed when I first posted, but I`v now got one now and it`s perfect! :)