Maglite Battery/Lamp Questions

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
So I placed an order for 2 Maglites this weekend, one being a 4D ML300 LED and the other being a 4D Xenon. I was curious if NiMH would be safe to run in both of these, I've been reading up on the topic as much as I can and need a little clarification because I've read that NiMH will have a lower voltage but higher sustained current than Alkalines, and I can't find the voltage rating of the Xenon bulb, so any help is appreciated.

Also out of curiosity, if I picked up a 3D Incandescent, does anyone know of some bulb upgrade options I could drop in, perhaps something above 40W?

Thanks.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I use NiMH in all my maglites 2d, 3d, 4d, 5d and 6d, and they work just fine, a 4.8v bulb in the 4d will be good. as for a 40w bulb in a 3d you`ll be trying to draw over 10 amps! I don`t think that`s feasible really, they wouldn`t last long even if they could do it.

edited to add: it Is possible to use a pair of Li ion batts in place of the 3Ds, then you`de be more likely to draw 40W without a problem! ;)

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
So I placed an order for 2 Maglites this weekend, one being a 4D ML300 LED and the other being a 4D Xenon. I was curious if NiMH would be safe to run in both of these, I've been reading up on the topic as much as I can and need a little clarification because I've read that NiMH will have a lower voltage but higher sustained current than Alkalines, and I can't find the voltage rating of the Xenon bulb, so any help is appreciated.

Also out of curiosity, if I picked up a 3D Incandescent, does anyone know of some bulb upgrade options I could drop in, perhaps something above 40W?

Thanks.

You can start by looking at the charts in my sig.

325addict

Enlightened
When I bought my first Mag 2D a long, long time ago, there was a warning on the bulbs' carton: "designed for use with alkaline batteries. Do not use rechargeable batteries".
But hey, you are an explorer or you are not... so I took the risk and put in two Sunrise NiCd 4Ah cells I had in those days... and the bulb poofed the fifth time I switched it on. Took the second bulb, with comparable result.
Later, I used other bulbs, like the Osram true Halogens (2.8V / 0.85A) and these kept up well.
Nowadays, I use another 2D with a FM 6AA to 2D adapter and a 5 cell "MagNum star" original Mag upgrade bulb (the only one still available, now in a version 2). That's a LOT of light from a seemingly "standard" 2D Mag :)
I also bought one of those fabulous 2.5D 4X 18650 Mags from FiveMega. Combined with a WA1274 this one has SUCH a lot of pleasant, "all-the-right-color" light output, just unbelievable. One of my all time favorite lights.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I placed an order for 2 Maglites this weekend, one being a 4D ML300 LED and the other being a 4D Xenon.

4D ML300 LED can easily run from 3.6 volt to 7.2 volt.
Also each NiMH can work instead of one alkaline designed flashlight. The reason they don't want you to use rechargeables is legal issue. If you do something wrong with NiMH batteries to create short, they will get too hot and create problems but alkalines don't have that kind of power. So pay attention how you recharge and how to install them and you will be fine.

Why only 40W?
Using 3 of high current cells (IMR) in 3D M*g and a FM1909 bulb which is about 63W
In this case, you will need some sapacer to hold batteries in center, some modification on tail spring, use aluminum reflector, modify switch (lower resistance), replace bulb holder with bi pin one and high temp glass (Borofloat) lens.
Please never shine this to anyone's eye or upcoming cars.
Have fun.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
4D ML300 LED can easily run from 3.6 volt to 7.2 volt.
Also each NiMH can work instead of one alkaline designed flashlight. The reason they don't want you to use rechargeables is legal issue. If you do something wrong with NiMH batteries to create short, they will get too hot and create problems but alkalines don't have that kind of power. So pay attention how you recharge and how to install them and you will be fine.

Why only 40W?
Using 3 of high current cells (IMR) in 3D M*g and a FM1909 bulb which is about 63W
In this case, you will need some sapacer to hold batteries in center, some modification on tail spring, use aluminum reflector, modify switch (lower resistance), replace bulb holder with bi pin one and high temp glass (Borofloat) lens.
Please never shine this to anyone's eye or upcoming cars.
Have fun.
:thumbsup:

Now this sounds fun... Might have to pick up one more for modification purposes now hehe.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get 3 real D size NiMh (with capacity around 10000mAh) 40W should not be a problem.

Assuming this is incandescent, in order to have 40 watts of power from 3.6 volt source, the bulb must be almost 11 Amperes. (40/3.6=11) (Power / source voltage=consuming current)
Nobody makes such a bulb but if you can accomodate 4 high current cells such as IMR, can easily power up an Osram 64611 (12 volt, 50 watts) which consums only 4.16 Amps and easily available.