What's the worst Lux-III you've seen?

sflate

Enlightened
What\'s the worst Lux-III you\'ve seen?

I have a chance to buy some Lux-III cheap, but I don't know what bin they are. This started me thinking - what is the worst case scenario? Since I have only used a few Lux-III's and they have all been very bright and white - what is your experience on the worst Lux-III's you've seen? (Include bin info if you know it) Thanks.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the worst Lux-III you\'ve seen?

Ive seen about a dozen samples of Luxeon IIIs, SWAM TWOK and TWAK. The TWOKs are whiter than the WA bin, but only marginally. Its not noticable in real life use, the slight differences in tint only become apparant when comparing them back to back, against a white wall.

KingSmono

Enlightened

I still don't understand the binning structure very much... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If I put a SWAM in a light, and then switched it to a TWAK, would you be able to tell a difference (both being WA emittors)...or only with meters?

OFF TOPIC: kakster... is your avatar a smiley face, or an oddly porportioned topless woman's midsection in her underwear? LOL

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Ive seen about a dozen samples of Luxeon IIIs, SWAM TWOK and TWAK. The TWOKs are whiter than the WA bin, but only marginally. Its not noticable in real life use, the slight differences in tint only become apparant when comparing them back to back, against a white wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did TW0K fall under this category? What color did it come out? I have a TW0K and it's nice and white. Aren't W0 supposed to be the "ideal" color tint? Or are you just saying you've had a bunch that were bad? I can understand about WA. I have a TWAK that is violet. I can live with it most of the time.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just trying to get across the point that i havent seen any "bad" Lux IIIs yet. The TWOKs are indeed very white, and i use one as my reference when comparing the tints on various LEDs.
Oddly enough, the couple of TWAKs ive seen were on the green side of white.

KingSmono : Thats a smiley face. This is CPF, and we dont have lewd avatars here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

keroppi123

Newly Enlightened

may be some s-binned lux 3,i think
is dimmer, am i right (min 60 lumen/3w , 20 lumen per watt, equal to N-binned LUX1)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

The fun thing about bins is that they cover ranges. A W0 can be right at the edge of the bin, thus having the same tint (to our eyes) as the very best from the bin next to it.

The same goes for the lumens. An S binned LuxIII can go up to 67.2 lumens. An LED from the T bin can be as low as 67.3 lumens. We can't see the difference between 67 and 68 lumens.

So you CAN get a SWAK that is indistinguishable (to the naked eye) from a TWOK. The TWOK will usually be brighter and whiter.

That said, I have SW0K and TX1K emitters and all of them have been bright and white.

Daniel

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, TWOK has been the best bin that i can find. Compared to my TWAK, my TWOK has a LOT whiter tint, much lower Vf (though they are both rated at K Vf bin). Comparing to R2H DD from 2 nimh, TWOK perform better that the R2H while the TWAK perform extremely worse than either.

Also, the color will be most prominent if you underdrive it. The more you overdrive the TWAK, the tint somehow got washed away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened

I have 3 TWOK's and a SWAK, it's been my observation that the TWOK have a definate warmer tone to them. The SWAK i have seemed a bit more pleasing to my eyes, for some reason it seemed whiter to me then the TWOK. In any case both bins are great and i have no complaints with either.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'v gotta admit I have not seen a bad Lux-111 either,
I've used TWAK's TWOK's TV1J's SV1K's TX1L's ect and they
all seemed to be just fine with a little variation in tint
and the forward operating voltages required for the led.

On the other hand I have come across a few bad 1 watters,
one had a very noticable green tint another one was very purple, and another one was very pink. They also varied
considerably in brightness under the same operating conditions. I only now use the Lux-111.

sflate

Enlightened

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of info I need. I have also had bad 1W that I wouldn't use (puke green, etc) but it sounds like if I get one of the worst 3W'ers cheap enough (SWAM for example) it will still be very good. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen a 3W that they would not use because of color, Vf, etc.. My brother-in-law is an electronics parts buyer. Since I posted this he tells me that he MAY be able to specify a bin. If so, what should I shoot for? Is there a UWAK or UWOK? How about TWAL or TWOL? If not, should I try to get TWAK or TWOK? (Given that I can't test them and realize they have a range of tint) Thanks again.