Good news this year ?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
2020 has been /way/ too interesting in most respects; I'd be happy to read of some good news recently, either public or personal ?
I have always thought that good news is all around - it's just up to us whether we make note of it or not. :)

-----

I have been getting much more enjoyment from classical music recently; I finally set up additional storage in my phone to facilitate listening to a few classical music audio courses that I had purchased (from 'The Great Courses').
- Bach and the High Baroque (qty.32, ~45min lectures)
- The 23 Greatest Solo Piano Works
Having recently finished those two, I have just started the next series I purchased: The Concerto. (24 lectures)
(After that, "The Symphony", another 24 lectures.)

Up until this summer, I was only set up to listen to these in the lesser-utilized of my two cars; but now having these on my phone has let me enjoy them in my daily-driver as well as ~daily hikes.
smile.gif

-----

With regards to public good news, here's a dandy one:

https://apnews.com/16fefb3c2107fe1671431736e3c1adc1

Bison, wild horses bring biodiversity to ex-army base
A wonderful conservation success story in the Czech Republic.

-----

What good news can you share ?
K

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a trying year so far, as you say.

Good news - I finally got the gumption to dust off the old bike and do some daily rides - I live in a small rural town in a valley and every way out is uphill, normally a couple of miles! But over the last week and a half I have conquered my hill nemeses! Found a method that works and actually having fun - probably had a bit to do with losing some weight over lockdown as well.

Cycling is like meditation, very peaceful and calming. With my Aftershocks bone conducting headphones playing my favourite tunes - Nirvana can be achieved.

Mind you it's been so hot over the last week, I have to carry more water than normal.

Life is good. Embrace lycra!

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Well I`m normally the happy sort anyway and most days have some sort of good in them, but I`m particularly happy that my wildflowers grew beautifully this year and the little grape I planted about 3 years has grown so many grapes I`v had to reinforce the support it`s on.
And though I haven`t been in the studio to make any dance music (Rave style) for months now, I`v been practicing on my piano every morning while the coffee is brewing, so now my sight reading has improved loads, I mostly play classical and have tons of sheet music, I`m enjoying myself playing my way through them all.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being stuck working from home, I've been forgetting to eat. I've lost 10+ pounds since March.

I've also found some motivation to go through the different "stash points" in the house (kitchen misc drawer, guest bedroom closet, etc) and have turned up lots of items that we would have purchased if we needed them just because we forgot we had them (pens, pencils, pocket knives, screwdrivers, etc). That feels like a small victory.

But mostly I've been enjoying doing things as a family (watching TV, bike rides, yard work) since we can't socialize with anyone else. It's cool to get to know my own children better. And my wife :)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my list of good news for the year:

22. 47s MMU-X3vn 3 x XHP50.2, one-off, Dec. 17, 2019, 5,500 lumens, 346 meters, 30Kcd.

23. Nitecore TM9KVn, 21700, 9 x stock XP-L2 6500, Jan. 6, 2020, 9,500/268M factory specs, Vinh specs after boost: 9120 lumens, 297 meters, 22Kcd, and improved heat sinking.

24. Nightwatch NSX3vn Jan 27, 2020. 21700, Stock 3 x XHP 50.2 8,000 lumen, 375 meter, 35Kcd. A red hot screamer for its size. Throw is the best of numbers 22 through 25 inclusive, too.

25. Nitecore E4K vn, Jan. 30, 2020. 21700, Factory 4 x XP-L. 4,000 lumens, 261 meters throw. protected/longer length/solder top spring 21700.

26. Emisar D4V2 vn, Feb. 22, 2020, quad W2, 4,020 lumens, 429 meters with throw optics. Single 18650. Midway size between S2 Baton and E4K. After four years, this is the replacement for my super trusty S2 Baton.

27. Lumintop FW3Avn triple W2.1 Feb. 28, 2020, 2,800 lumens, 425 meters throw. 18650.

28. Lumintop FW4Avn, quad W2, throw optic. April 13, 2020, 3,850 lumens, 456 meters throw. Currently the most compact high power single 18650 flashlight, I think. Picture perfect emitter alignment, providing for picture perfect beam pattern.

29, 30 and 31: Three Lumintop 21a Pro Vn, May 26, 2020, single 21700, triple XHP50.2. 9,500 lumens, ~350 meters throw. The next big thing in the Lumintop FW series. I made gifts of two of them.

32. and 33: Two Imalent MS03, June 15, 2020. Triple XHP70.2. Single 21700 protected usb-c, or with large solder blob. 9,535 lumens, 313 meters. Smallest triple XHP70.2, I think.

34. Mateminco MT07 vn 7 x W2. June 16, 2020. 8,000 L, 678 M, 115KCD. Very attractive combination of power, throw and size.

35. Astrolux (Mateminco) EC03 July 9, 2020. 21700 3 x 2XHP50.2, 6700 lumens, 303 meters. Factory specs appear to be under reported. Smooth, ample reflector wells and ample SS bezel impart good looks. Much tighter hot spot than other single 21700 3 x 50.2 lights.

36. Noctigon KR1vn SBT90 DL single 18650 July 24, 2020. I really like this light a lot.

37. Emisar D18 18 x W2, 3 x 18650 July 24, 2020. This item heralds the retirement of many previous pop can flooders.

38. and 39: Two more Astrolux EC03, August 4, 2020.

Ordered: MF05 freeme group buy code, July 17, 2020

Other good news for me: Beyond the scope of this forum.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a great story about introducing grazing animals on a former base. My (10 years) son enjoyed reading it when it came out just a couple days ago. He has said (maybe a year ago) he'd like to do that when he grows up, except he talks about bringing extinct animals back (including whatever DNA infused to help them succeed, much like those ancient cattle in the article), but he talks about reviving dire wolves, mammoths and other such concerning-to-some creatures.

Good news? Thing is, with so many kinds of people here on CPF, just about any information could very well be not good news to some. Less pollution, more room for creatures other than humans; the USA stock market. All these things are seemingly bound to irk some folk. Hopefully more and more people will get back to work. It definitely has improved things for me personally; feelings of usefulness and back with work friends.

Greta

Flashaholic
Good news? I got my new baby today! Meet Miss Lucy Blue Eyes !

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1597119632.193718.jpg

BTW... this is how I chose to spend my stimulus check after my BFF old girl, Sasha passed on April 1st... right after shutdown. It has been tough being home so much without her. Couldn't think of a better way to spend that check :kiss:

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Kestrel,
I'm glad that you are finding listening to the classicals more, and have found the time to do it. 35 years ago, I decided I would give it a try, and really enjoyed the time I spent rocking my so to sleep, while listening to it. I enjoyed Mozart the most, and symphonies.

Nyctophiliac,
I miss your photos with lights around the UK.
Maybe we'll see more of them?

Katherine,
I enjoy your posts. Glad you joined us.
Playing piano, while brewing coffee! :thumbsup:

bykfixer,
Always the clever man :)

turbodog,
Sunday night, my daughter and I went to a new Brewery, for a change of pace. These poor guys have been trying to open for a year or so, they hurtled one obstacle after another, including building permits, and other town father's obstacles, and one that was not considered. The power company could not supply enough power to them and had to run more lines to the transformer outside their shop, (or something like that). Finally they were ready to open, beer made and all, and Covid hit, and they had to stay closed. They cleaned up the back lot and put in a dozen or so wooden picnic tables with more distance than many places that are doing outside gathering.

Five months in, and we are still enjoying each other's company. Things are good!

Flatline,
I found your ten pounds!
I've been doing a lot more cooking, and eating.

Over the past three weeks, we moved, and did a lot more fast foods, and take-out.
Between the increased physical activity, and not over indulging, I think I lost 5 of those 10, so that's good news, eh?

Archimedes,
Hopefully those man pages are better written now than they were in the late 80's.
Depending upon your programming knowledge, learning how to navigate, and automate Linux or any new language, can be a challenge.
Have fun exercising your gray matter.

The good news:
during the last three weeks, we made a sort of lateral move.
This home has more live-able space, with a four car driveway, but no garage, and less storage.
We plan to be here for four years, and within that time the twins will be driving, so being able to park four cars will be important.
Although the move to this end of town was so the kids would go to the newer of the two schools, with covid, we elected to keep them home and go virtual learning.
This house is laid out better for that, and for my daughter to continue to work from home.
The fact that her bosses, have decided to allow her to continue to work from home was HUGELY good news!

We've met our neighbors on both sides of our house, and they are both friendly, and pleasant. That is also huge. At a previous house one of my neighbors was a real nut case, not good.

Hopefully we are past the accumulation stage of our lives. It seems each time we moved from one house to another we pushed a dumpster amount of stuff out to the curb (and we moved four times). Prior to this move, I kept warning my daughter and her kids, that they have too much stuff, and that THEY are going to have to move it. I'm getting too old for that, and am unwilling. So although they parted with a lot of stuff, IMO, not enough, the move was still stressful, because in part there was so much crap to move. The good news is, the kids are now big enough, that they moved 80% of the stuff. Yahoo!

We still have little piles of things, or boxes of stuff that hasn't found a home yet, but the bulk of decorating, painting, hanging of pictures, and mirrors, installing of new shades/blinds etc, has been done. So that's all good!
I have some electrical to do, but not much. And the BIG thing was to get the attic fan working. It is now on a thermostatically controlled switch. Wow, without that the heat wave of this summer would have been way too much for the AC. The AC is a little undersized due to the addition of the gas powered fireplace family room, which will have a spring loaded dance floor installed. I'm not sure what if anything I will do about that next year. An auxiliary ductless unit may work well. Awnings over the patio doors, and bay window up front, may reduce the heat gain enough. IDK, maybe.

Chauncey,
The lawn can REALLY use your help! The good news, is that my daughter is not afraid of weed killer. My wife would have had me out there hours at a time pulling weeds by hand.

A few years ago, the septic tank was replaced, and the yard torn up. Apparently, topsoil wasn't replaced, and the ground wasn't raked out smooth. I'll probably have to rake in some top soil to level it out... ah... another "one of those things" lol... just put it on the list. :)

Soooo.... we survived the hurricane/tropical storm without losing power! Lots of trees down, pulling down power lines and almost as many homes affected as by super storm Sandy. We were fortunate, because currently I don't have a generator.

So things are getting settled around here. Started cooking again, and started "face-timing" cards and Suduko, with my Dad pretty much each night again. My sister is with him, now for the past few weeks, which is great, so that he is not alone and going stir crazy anymore.

Thursday, I hope to do a little time on the lake with a previous neighbor, and long time friend. We have some catching up to do.

Oh, and I was one of those people afraid to have a medical procedure done due to Covid-19. I tested positive with Cologuard and finally had a colonoscopy. A few polyps removed, and they tested negative for cancer!

So all in all... Life is Good!!! :)

markr6

Flashaholic
It has been a trying year so far, as you say.

Good news - I finally got the gumption to dust off the old bike and do some daily rides - I live in a small rural town in a valley and every way out is uphill, normally a couple of miles! But over the last week and a half I have conquered my hill nemeses! Found a method that works and actually having fun - probably had a bit to do with losing some weight over lockdown as well.

Cycling is like meditation, very peaceful and calming. With my Aftershocks bone conducting headphones playing my favourite tunes - Nirvana can be achieved.

Mind you it's been so hot over the last week, I have to carry more water than normal.

Life is good. Embrace lycra!

That's great! I started around 2010 then the bike hung from the garage ceiling for about 5 years after getting married. Divorced now, so I also knocked the dust off and been hitting it hard. I needed some new brake pads but otherwise it's fine. I may shoot for my first 100mi ride this weekend. I tried last month but like you said, it was hot and water became an issue. I couldn't carry enough and fountains along the way were turned off (probably a covid thing)

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Archimedes,
Hopefully those man pages are better written now than they were in the late 80's.
Depending upon your programming knowledge, learning how to navigate, and automate Linux or any new language, can be a challenge.
Have fun exercising your gray matter.

Thanks Poppy !

I've been interested in computers, off-and-on, for most of my life.

And as for man pages, whenever I have a question about how a Linux command works ... well, they have this thing called the internet now :laughing:

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Poppy !

I've been interested in computers, off-and-on, for most of my life.

And as for man pages, whenever I have a question about how a Linux command works ... well, they have this thing called the internet now :laughing:

I've lived in the Linux command line since the late 90's. If you have any questions, PM me if you can't find the answer on google. Maybe I can help you.

--flatline

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I got some good news today.
Typically I get money back from the IRS each year so I was in no hurry to file.……for 018.

I moved some things around and didn't prepare everything exactly like I should have so I ended up owing Uncle Sam a bit under $10 for 2018. I sent them the money a couple months ago when I filed. Today I got that "uh oh" letter from the IRS. Big ole thick envelope stuffed so I'm thinking audit, hundreds in penalties, you know the worst.

I ripped open the envelope to find I owe a little under $10 in penalties and interest. "Phew"……
The majority of the pages were explaining the process in a bunch of languages.

My son called to say he got a new job at better pay and better conditions. My trainee for the last year also accepted a job offer at twice his current pay doing stuff he likes better.

My other son discovered his chronic belly issue has been caused by a vitamin pill he had been taking each day, so that was good to hear.

So later today I will tell Mrs Fixer "I have good news and bad news, the bad news is with owe the IRS $10, the good news is there's no more bad news."

Kestrel

Flashaholic
That is a great story about introducing grazing animals on a former base. My (10 years) son enjoyed reading it when it came out just a couple days ago. He has said (maybe a year ago) he'd like to do that when he grows up, except he talks about bringing extinct animals back (including whatever DNA infused to help them succeed, much like those ancient cattle in the article), but he talks about reviving dire wolves, mammoths and other such concerning-to-some creatures. [...]

Maybe even a Jurassic park ? ;)

-----

Good to hear about the Persids; mid-week being a little challenging for some, I'd think.
Certainly looking forward to retirement, to solve those sorts of problems. :D

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

24hrs ago there was a wicked derecho that blew threw just south of me, the heaviest of winds missed me, but I got yet another heavy rain event.
On the 'backside' of that massive amount of energy,, today was the most beautiful day you could ever imagine.
...think deep blue sky, low humidity, very early fall day w/ a slight breeze cascading out of Canada:)

My point, there will always be better days ahead

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
So far, we're getting 2-3 eggs a day from our six chickens. They've been a wonderful addition to our garden and home. The dogs were suspicious, but a truce has been reached. It's fun to watch them, a pleasant distraction. Our garden is winding down, and we're canning, drying, and freezing quite a bit.