Ideas for a “dream” cell storage solution

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, new member here. CPF is awesome

Like everyone on here, I have a lot of rechargeable batteries in all different sizes. 10440, 14500, 16340, 18350, 18650, 21700, 26350 and 26650. and variations of each type - button, flat, etc

I'm looking for an incredible battery organizer / storage solution. All the ones I'm finding are for AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V

I'm leaning toward some sort of Pelican-style case with custom foam

Cost isn't an issue... would love any thoughts & advice

thanks!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do loose batteries clutter up your house? Is finding the right size almost impossible? And why do they always waste precious space? What you need is the Battery Daddy[emoji769] Storage System! [emoji16]

Who's your daddy ?

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of those fishing tackle organisers with the removable dividers works a treat. You can space them for smaller cells (CR123, AAA, AA) and for larger cells (D, 18650, 22650, 26650). I have a Shimano branded one I bought years ago and I've not found a need to replace it. It's about 9" x 14" X 1.75" deep.

It holds all my spare primary and rechargeable cells plus a few extra things like split rings, spare o-rings and a tube of lube. If I go camping I just toss under one of the front seats of the car and I know I've got more than enough power for however long we're away.

I have another similar sized container that is taller with a removable top tray. It holds all my chargers and voltage meter plus extra flashlight related stuff. They sit one on top of the other under my bed, next to the box with the CB radios.

Last edited:

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
One of those fishing tackle organisers with the removable dividers works a treat. You can space them for smaller cells (CR123, AAA, AA) and for larger cells (D, 18650, 22650, 26650). I have a Shimano branded one I bought years ago and I've not found a need to replace it. It's about 9" x 14" X 1.75" deep.

It holds all my spare primary and rechargeable cells plus a few extra things like split rings, spare o-rings and a tube of lube. If I go camping I just toss under one of the front seats of the car and I know I've got more than enough power for however long we're away.

I have another similar sized container that is taller with a removable top tray. It holds all my chargers and voltage meter plus extra flashlight related stuff. They sit one on top of the other under my bed, next to the box with the CB radios.

Thanks for the great advice!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something I intend to have made someday... so imagine a nice 2 or 3 inch thick flat piece of finished and stained wood, hopefully a lighter wood, with nice grain, in the right attractive rectangular dimensions, large enough that you could stand all your cells on it neatly. Then imagine holes bored that fit each cell, not all the way through, of course, but so each cell sits deep enough such that all the cells' positive terminals were level with each other. Then imagine a hinged lid with foam in the top to match that locks closed and holds the cells down, and a handle on the side, kind of looks like a thin wooden suitcase when closed and carried. So, not all that practical, and kind of heavy, but it looks nice and doesn't get knocked over easily when it is set open, and the cells fit snuggly enough that they don't rattle or shift.

Maybe impractical, but I want to pamper my cells.

Currently I use plastic ammo cases for my cells, holds 100 AAs, another holds 100 AAAs. The Li-ion cells go in the plastic cases they came with or those little hard zippered cases.

Last edited:

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
That sounds awesome - I'd definitely buy that if you make one :) a less elegant solution might be to 3D print something.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds awesome - I'd definitely buy that if you make one :) a less elegant solution might be to 3D print something.

If I make it, it will suck. Someone with skills must make it... like a carpenter, cabinet maker, or tool maker... someone that has their own shop and they make nice things there.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
On topic with cell storage solutions I think chillinn has the answer which is to make something yourself out of wood. I've looked and only find prefabricated battery organization boxes are for department store batteries. Maybe there is another type of material that can be used besides wood ?

pilo7448

Enlightened
I like that idea Lou.. I found this on Etsy for my ti driver and bits, something like this would be awesome.
b3a41d91df16a8c088ce07eed4666f87.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bought a large Flambeau case at Walmart long ago that does very well on cell sizes up to 18650 not sure how it would do with larger sized cells I don't have any C or D cells to store now. I store rechargeable and lithium cells and button/coin cells (no regular alkaleaks) I have a separate case for alkaleak AA/AA and 9v cells I won't store those in with rechargeables as leaks would be a mess to clean up.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that idea Lou.. I found this on Etsy for my ti driver and bits, something like this would be awesome.
b3a41d91df16a8c088ce07eed4666f87.jpg

Yes, this is close to what I had in mind, but larger, and each hole would be customized for the different sized cells, plus the lid, hinges, latch and a handle. Maybe it would even have legs that fold out from the bottom so that it stands alone. And maybe it would be sort of like a Chinese puzzle box so no one can mess with your chems. And secret compartments, and a gps locator chip. Maybe when you opened the lid, lights built into the lid would come on, like a refrigerator (or do those fridge lights stay on all the time? No way to know.)

Maybe some intrepid CPF member could commission a group buy from the designer/builder?

Subject does have "'dream'" in the title.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My Ideal dream cell storage solution Is several dozen lights of every different battery combination 😂😂😂. I'm just about there.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've contemplated designing laser-cut tabbed boxes for cell storage using ~¼" plywood but have never gotten past initial design concepts. Ideally they would have some means of gracefully storing large quantities of cells with some clever means to aid identification of charged vs discharged cells.