Reading in Bed - Complete Darkness

Madlove

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Has anyone come up with something that works? I'm at the point where I'm thinking of building a contraption that goes over my head like a huge helmet. What about reading with night vision goggles? I'm assuming others have tackled this before? Thanks for any thought or suggestions.

nbp

Flashaholic
They make booklights that clip onto the book. That is probably the simplest and cheapest solution. Beyond that, a basic headlamp would do the trick. No helmets or night vision necessary.

arek98

Enlightened
I'm using Kindle app on my phone, black background, white letters for minimal glow so it doesn't bother my wife. For me it is easier, more convenient to hold, can adjust letters size if needed.

If you don't want any glow you could try phone in cheap VR googles and cover them.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't do the complete darkness thing when reading my kindle paperwhite. In sunlight, I do turn off the light as it's not needed. In fact, if reading just before sleep I'll put on my blue blockers.

jrgold

Enlightened
thinking outside the box here, but what about an audiobook? A good headset should prevent your spouse from hearing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madlove

Newly Enlightened
I'm using Kindle app on my phone, black background, white letters for minimal glow so it doesn't bother my wife. For me it is easier, more convenient to hold, can adjust letters size if needed.

If you don't want any glow you could try phone in cheap VR googles and cover them.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The black background white letters is a great idea. Unfortunately most of the books I have aren't available digitally.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon kindle is pretty good for this. Otherwise my wizard pro on moonlight?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately most of the books I have aren't available digitally.
Toss 'em onto a scanner, and put scans together in a PDF. As long as it's readable, and fits into tablet / e-reader / phone's memory or a memory card that goes in there, it doesn't need to be pretty. And thus doesn't need high resolution (color?) or much time to process each page.

If money isn't an issue: there's scanners with a sheet feeder where you can put in up to a 100 pages or so, and have the scanner process them in one go. Obviously this requires separation of the pages though... :(

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it help to read with the red led light from a headlamp?

My wife likes it completely dark to sleep.

I like to sleep with the TV on.

I just go into a different room and sleep on the couch as needed.