safety razor blades?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
are the feather blades worth the extra money? i get astra blades for like 7 cents per blade. feather blades are like 55 cents per blade are they that much better?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Astras are way smoother. The feather blades are sharper but it seems like they are inconsistent and if you have any roughness to your beard you are probably going to experience some pulling with the feather blades. Makes no sense because some of them you will get 3-4 really good shaves out of and some of them will nick and tug on the first shave. When they are good, they are really good. If you like the astra and it gets you a decently close shave I'd stick with them honestly because you may just get disappointed. (Unless things have changed the last few years, don't use safety blades anymore)

Edit to add: blades are very very dependent on each persons beard and face. For me the feather blades don't do anything so much better than astra to warrant the extra cost.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Astras are way smoother. The feather blades are sharper but it seems like they are inconsistent and if you have any roughness to your beard you are probably going to experience some pulling with the feather blades. Makes no sense because some of them you will get 3-4 really good shaves out of and some of them will nick and tug on the first shave. When they are good, they are really good. If you like the astra and it gets you a decently close shave I'd stick with them honestly because you may just get disappointed. (Unless things have changed the last few years, don't use safety blades anymore)

Edit to add: blades are very very dependent on each persons beard and face. For me the feather blades don't do anything so much better than astra to warrant the extra cost.
cool i love my astras only issue i have is the corner of my mouth. it may be my cheap razor

AlienBug

Newly Enlightened
I use Astra about 75% of the time. Feather blades, to me, are noticeably sharper, but Astras are smoother. Feathers also seem to last a bit longer.

If I rub my hands over my face after shaving, I would not be able to tell which blade I used.

"Worth it" is going to depend on your face and your budget. For me I use Astra.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
mach 3 was my blade back in the day. but tgey cost so darn much. i truly hate to shave if there was something that would stop facail hair id use it

scout24

Flashaholic
Not to muddy the waters, but until I grew my beard out I was using Gillette Silver Blue blades. Made in Russia, about $14.00/ per 100. Fantastic consistency, and very very sharp.

Edit- fwiw, I have a very thick, very coarse beard.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Enlightened
A tip to make your blades last much longer. After you shave, take the blade out and rinse it off and dry it off, then let it out of the razor until you use it again.

XxVANOxX

Newly Enlightened
I Couldn't get on with Astra's !!
Gillete silver blue are very good and seem to be consistent. Have found that most makes of blades vary in quality ,depending on where and when the batches are made 😂 . I'm using Gillette NACET stainless made in Russia . Very good and consistent.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feathers work fine in my Game Changer .84-P. I'm a daily shaver and change blades every 20 whether they need to or not.

wweiss

Enlightened
I'll even go further - with all my time using the Mach3 I have shaved in the shower in the bath in the sink quick or slow and as quick as I've ever shaved - it was smooth, clean without one nick and no blood never had to use the styptic pencil. I'm 70...

BigBaller

Enlightened
I tried a handful of brands when I use to shave and seem to like these the most, good value for the quality.. Personna Israel. I think they changed the name to super + platinum they come in a blue packaging.

wweiss

Enlightened
Try dipping the blades into 90% rubbing alcohol after rinsing off when done. Evaporates the residual water and the blade edge does not microscopically rust - as much. Blades, any blade, lasts much longer.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
shave, resharpen, repeat...

b4fICUyl.jpg