Acebeam        

Thread: safety razor blades?

Default safety razor blades?

are the feather blades worth the extra money? i get astra blades for like 7 cents per blade. feather blades are like 55 cents per blade are they that much better?
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Default safety razor blades?

Astras are way smoother. The feather blades are sharper but it seems like they are inconsistent and if you have any roughness to your beard you are probably going to experience some pulling with the feather blades. Makes no sense because some of them you will get 3-4 really good shaves out of and some of them will nick and tug on the first shave. When they are good, they are really good. If you like the astra and it gets you a decently close shave Iíd stick with them honestly because you may just get disappointed. (Unless things have changed the last few years, donít use safety blades anymore)

Edit to add: blades are very very dependent on each persons beard and face. For me the feather blades donít do anything so much better than astra to warrant the extra cost.
    Last edited by bigburly912; 08-11-2020 at 11:40 PM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Default Re: safety razor blades?

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Astras are way smoother. The feather blades are sharper but it seems like they are inconsistent and if you have any roughness to your beard you are probably going to experience some pulling with the feather blades. Makes no sense because some of them you will get 3-4 really good shaves out of and some of them will nick and tug on the first shave. When they are good, they are really good. If you like the astra and it gets you a decently close shave Iíd stick with them honestly because you may just get disappointed. (Unless things have changed the last few years, donít use safety blades anymore)

Edit to add: blades are very very dependent on each persons beard and face. For me the feather blades donít do anything so much better than astra to warrant the extra cost.
    cool i love my astras only issue i have is the corner of my mouth. it may be my cheap razor
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Unenlightened

I use Astra about 75% of the time. Feather blades, to me, are noticeably sharper, but Astras are smoother. Feathers also seem to last a bit longer.

If I rub my hands over my face after shaving, I would not be able to tell which blade I used.

"Worth it" is going to depend on your face and your budget. For me I use Astra.

They have sample packs that are reasonably priced that allow you to try out different blades.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

mach 3 was my blade back in the day. but tgey cost so darn much. i truly hate to shave if there was something that would stop facail hair id use it

I think sometimes the cheaper blades( I had some good ones from Turkey) are easier to shave with. Maybe not as close a shave but easier to do and and easier on your face.

Not to muddy the waters, but until I grew my beard out I was using Gillette Silver Blue blades. Made in Russia, about $14.00/ per 100. Fantastic consistency, and very very sharp.

Edit- fwiw, I have a very thick, very coarse beard.
    Last edited by scout24; 08-17-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

A tip to make your blades last much longer. After you shave, take the blade out and rinse it off and dry it off, then let it out of the razor until you use it again.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

I Couldnít get on with Astraís !!
    Gillete silver blue are very good and seem to be consistent. Have found that most makes of blades vary in quality ,depending on where and when the batches are made 😂 . Iím using Gillette NACET stainless made in Russia . Very good and consistent.