Newbie Question: how much lumens do I need in this specific situation?

Wolvan

Newly Enlightened
Since I'm still new to everything about flash lights, I was about to just get the brightest flash light on the market (25000 max lumens) just in case, but then I read the thread where someone questioned how much lumen we actually need, etc. Although I know brightness from a certain amount of lumens is subjective to what I'm looking at, but the only way I can distinguish between different flash lights are by their max lumens and run time...

What are your guys' thoughts on the amount of lumens I need for both:
1. Walking down a slightly uneven slopped road with no street light
2. Walking along a beach in the small hours. (Only light source is stars and little water reflection)

P.S preferably I will be able to see a good distance in front of me and not just where my next step is,

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will get ten thousand answers. Honestly just get whatever you are confortable with. Number 2 I would say no flashlight at all. : D

Stoneking

Enlightened
If I were to choose a light based on your criteria, I would get a light with cooler color temperature, around 300 measured lumens and a focused beam (reflector).

The darker your surroundings, less lumens are needed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They navigated by stars for centuries. Moonlight was a bonus.

But seriously, it's light pollution that makes you need more lumens to walk around. You can kinda see but the shadows appear a lot darker because your eyes are not truely dark adapted in light polluted situations.

Check out candela numbers to go with the lumen numbers. So take a 300 lumen light with say 5000 candella and a 300 lumen with 10,000 candella. The 10,000 number means the beam shines a lot farther (called throw) but has less side lighting. (called spill). Unless you just want to light up something like daylight you really don't need a lot of lumens. Perhaps you want a lot of lumens and that's ok too.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your guys' thoughts on the amount of lumens I need for both:
1. Walking down a slightly uneven slopped road with no street light
2. Walking along a beach in the small hours. (Only light source is stars and little water reflection)

P.S preferably I will be able to see a good distance in front of me and not just where my next step is,

50 lumens is plenty, probably too much if your eyes are fully adapted to the dark.

If you want to see further, look for higher candella (cd) not lumens. Too many lumens can work against you by killing your natural night vision and generating glare.

Before selecting one light to rule them all, you might first consider acquiring a light with variable outputs, allowing you to choose a level of illumination that is appropriate to the circumstances. Once you fiddle around with various combinations of lumens, candela, and color temperature in different contexts, you'll start to get a feel for what you want and need in a light. This would also be a prudent financial strategy: many members have (how shall I put this) invested waaaay more than they ought to during the learning phase of their involvement with portable lighting tools. Learn from our experience, grasshopper...

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To echo the Stoneking, 300 lumens with a reflector should be enough for your tasks, and most others as well.
The trouble with high output lights is that you tend to use the high output and ignore the low ones, thus you eyes just get used to the bright light and don't get dark adapted.
Lower output lights can be smaller and run for longer without wasting too much energy as heat.
Be aware that the chaper brands tend to overestimate their outputs and if they actually aceive the x million lumens that they boast, can only do it for for a minute or so.
Sorry to disappoint, I know how exciting it would be to light up the whole street and the adjoining ones, even for a few seconds, but it's really not necessary.
P

Monocrom

Flashaholic
#1 ~ If it's pitch black outside, even a 5 lumens keychain light will be enough.

#2 ~ Have to agree that no light will suffice.

Wolvan

Newly Enlightened
This would also be a prudent financial strategy: many members have (how shall I put this) invested waaaay more than they ought to during the learning phase of their involvement with portable lighting tools. Learn from our experience, grasshopper...

Any suggestions for brands or models I can try with?

But seriously, it's light pollution that makes you need more lumens to walk around. You can kinda see but the shadows appear a lot darker because your eyes are not truely dark adapted in light polluted situations.

Well in the specific situations I was describing, it would be moving from a very brightly light area/building to those light-less areas. And as I'm only travelling by and not stopping, my eyes are not going to adapt fast enough to be of much use.

Number 2 I would say no flashlight at all. : D

I do make do with no light sometimes, but I really does feel like I might trip over and injure myself. :caution:

Sorry to disappoint, I know how exciting it would be to light up the whole street and the adjoining ones, even for a few seconds, but it's really not necessary.
P

Guess everyone felt my 250000 lumens was overkill, I did suspect it lol and hence posted here. (Totally wanted to light up the whole street. :sssh: ) If most people agree with 300 and focused beam, I will try it out and see. :grin2:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start small and work your way up. There is a possibility that you may be able to stop before you get to the top.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolvan,
You probably only need about 300 lumens but you want 25,000. Ask the same Cpfers how many flashlights do you need...2 or 3 but how many do you want ? 300 ?
I suppose you are looking at that huge lumintop light. Get it and run it at 300 lumens. Then when you hear a noise double tap the button for 25k lumens. I would call that irresponsible and fun !