Jetbeam        

Thread: best cast iron skillet with smooth cooking surface?

Default best cast iron skillet with smooth cooking surface?

like the old cast iron
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: best cast iron skillet with smooth cooking surface?

Finex or Smithey...but they are very expensive!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

If you want some sentimental value to go along with it you can always get an old one on ebay. But the cast iron "secret" is out, no deals there. Maybe locally at a garage sale or Goodwill store, but even then cast iron is definitely "a thing" now. Very hard to get a deal.

I have a 1930s Griswold skillet that I like so much I purchased an almost identical 1920s version on ebay just to have two. Very smooth and flat. The seller posted good photos but I still consider myself lucky.
    GOOD TINT!

I have 2 cast iron skillets made by Field, very smooth, work great! Still love my 12" Lodge though.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

whats ya all seasoning with? im doing flaxseed oil lately .i love cast iron but the new nonstick stuff is way better for eggs
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

I use this stuff called Crisbee, its oil mixed with wax, so when the pan cools its not sticky with oil.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Crisco on my cast iron.

And yeah I can't lie, my T-fal ceramic skillet takes 10 seconds to clean so that's hard to beat. Just depends on what I'm making. Not supposed to be as good as the Teflon stuff, but after 2 years it's still doing great.
    GOOD TINT!

If I tell you this, you have to promise to NOT google what I tell you. So that you don't get sucked into another strange hobby forum on the internet.

There is a forum for cast iron fans just like our forum. I spent some time there looking for resurfacing/seasoning advice. Those people are seriously strange.

For a nice smooth pan you've got a few options:
    1. carbon steel pans like chefs use, cheap, durable, middle of road compromise
    2. finex or equivalent pan, grab your wallet though. I own two and while looking awesome they are just so-so
    3. fine a new, cheap pan and sand it smooth with something like a 4" disc sander. Did this to two pans and it worked really well. The sanding marks leave just enough grip for the seasoning to stick well.

And oh yeah, they got SUPER pissed when I said I had sanded a pan bottom!
    Last edited by turbodog; 08-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Although more expensive, enameled cast iron cookware could be an option.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    If I tell you this, you have to promise to NOT google what I tell you. So that you don't get sucked into another strange hobby forum on the internet.

There is a forum for cast iron fans just like our forum. I spent some time there looking for resurfacing/seasoning advice. Those people are seriously strange.
    LOL exactly! I eventually built an electrolysis tank. The most AMAZING thing I've ever seen with my eyes! I turned the biggest POS into a brand new cast iron skillet. Seasoning took a long time since it strips it down to nothing, but that's the point.
    GOOD TINT!

My two cents is cast ironís overrated. Yeah, theyíre cheap and can work great but the negatives outweigh the positives, especially if youíre willing to spend some money on modern cookware. The only real benefit they have is ability to go from range top to oven for browning and braising in one pan. Otherwise, forget them. They take forever to preheat! And thatís best done in the oven at 400! Not great for keeping the kitchen cool in the summer. And the weight and the seasoning and the cleaning, really? Iíd rather be quick in the kitchen and enjoy my meal. Also, no commercial kitchens use them unless for a specific task like fried chicken or chicken fried steak and you donít even want to see what those pans look like! Modern multilayer pans from paderno, all clad, scanpan work well and last. Why use 19th century cookware?

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    My two cents is cast ironís overrated. Yeah, theyíre cheap and can work great but the negatives outweigh the positives, especially if youíre willing to spend some money on modern cookware. The only real benefit they have is ability to go from range top to oven for browning and braising in one pan. Otherwise, forget them. They take forever to preheat! And thatís best done in the oven at 400! Not great for keeping the kitchen cool in the summer. And the weight and the seasoning and the cleaning, really? Iíd rather be quick in the kitchen and enjoy my meal. Also, no commercial kitchens use them unless for a specific task like fried chicken or chicken fried steak and you donít even want to see what those pans look like! Modern multilayer pans from paderno, all clad, scanpan work well and last. Why use 19th century cookware?

Yeah, I think a lot of it is nostalgia. My T-fal ceramic, even after eggs it looks pretty much clean. Zero sticking, cooled down and put away in no time. I do have fun making pizza and brownies in the cast iron though.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of it is nostalgia. My T-fal ceramic, even after eggs it looks pretty much clean. Zero sticking, cooled down and put away in no time. I do have fun making pizza and brownies in the cast iron though.
    Iím going to try a pizza stone in my barbque since it gets to about 600 degrees , but I donít understand the benefit of brownies in a cast iron? I use a ceramic dish with parchment paper, and at only 350, I donít think thereís any benefit of using cast iron, though I could be wrong.Biscuits would be good since youíre at 450.

It holds a lot of heat, more than any other pan I know of. Good for searing meat. A properly setup pan is unbelievable... and I've ever only seen one in my lifetime. Despite sanding/seasoning or buying finex pans I've never been able to duplicate the performance of a ~50 year old pan I have. Dug it out of the mud under a house years ago. Think it was used as a dog bowl.

Thatís true, you canít beat a red hot cast iron pan for an indoor steak, but Iím just not up for the smoke and mess. Take that meat outdoors where it belongs!

12-24 hours in a sous vide, sear on cast iron and you can't tell it didn't come from outdoors.

i like heavy pans so the meat sizzles and dont drain the heat from pan..id love a heavy super heavy non stick pan

Donít want to be a buzzkill on this interesting thread, but cooking meats at high temperatures has been proven to contribute to cancer, and most notably, colon cancer, so everything in moderation and old guys need screenings(myself included).

In the kitchen I use Cuisinart stainless cookware. Occasionally non-stick for things like eggs and pancakes. The only cast iron I have is in my camping stuff. When dad and I go camping we cook almost everything in cast iron pans. I should look to see if there is a name on them. I believe he bought them at an estate sale or junkyard or something for a few bucks like 30 years ago and cleaned them up and we still use them today!

just cooked a omelete in cast iron i used pam that stuff rocks

There really is nothing special about pam, it is just the application. It goes on thinly. It is twice the cost of decent olive oil, and four times the cost of corn, or canola oil.

I use a little olive oil in my pan, spread it and wipe it fairly clean with a tissue before cooking, whatever. Over time, non-stick becomes less non-stick, so even with them I pre-oil them. I do the same with my stainless.

I don't have a cast iron pan, my son does, and was all about it when he first got it. I'll have to ask him if he still uses it much.

It seems that cast is great if you like to sear your meat, and cook at high heat. Seared on the outside, and relatively raw on the inside. NOT for me. I want my meat cooked all the way through. Medium to medium high heat is good enough for me.

I'll echo ledbetter's sentiments. My pans are modern (compared to cast) for the most part they are all stainless. At least half of them are multilayered 3 or 5 layers clad, and heavy. They probably compare fairly well to cast for heat retention, due to their thick bases. The beauty of stainless is they are easy to clean, and if they get stained, or hard to clean, some scouring powder like, Ajax, or Comet, and they will look like new and perform like new.

I have an Old Hickory knife from the Ontario Knife Company, that I bought it 1977. It's a great high carbon knife that is easy to sharpen and holds an edge.

The bottom one in the picture.

It was replaced, as my favorite knife, by an inexpensive Stainless steel Chef's knife with a plastic handle years ago.
    1. for it's shape/style,
    2. due to the fact that I didn't have to oil it prior to putting it away. And with the plastic handle it could go into the dishwasher.
    Stainless... wash dry, put away.
    Last edited by Poppy; 08-17-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy