Recommendation New Popcan Flooder

Sun Boy

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Looking for the smallest possible popcan flooder (say 3 x 18650) which is pocketable. I am looking for a light which can sustain approx 2,500-3,000 lumen for say 1.5 hours without being too warm to hold. Weight is also a consideration as will be used for up to 2 hours at a time.

I am considering Emisar, Acebeam, Noctigon and Manker.

Any recommendations or advice.

Thanks

Sun Boy

Sun Boy

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, Have now completed the Flashlight Recommendation Checklist. Hope this helps provide some good advice!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $300.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained)

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box)

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---My Popcan Flood---

My popcan-ish flood light is a Fenix TK35UE '18. Two 3500-mAh 18650's last quite a while and it tops out around 3,000 lumens. It does not punch out and throw as much as I commonly need but then that's not it's intended use. It can however drop sunlight on a parking lot in an instant and for that I absolutely will never part with it.

As far as being able to stick it in your pocket, that may be a problem. I typically wear a job-shirt with a chest pocket for a handheld radio, it fits in there nicely. I've also put tried it on a sling, like a messenger bag, which also worked well. As capable as it is I most commonly use it at home as bedside lamp due to the long run times I can get out of it on lower modes.

When I do take it outdoors I find myself running it at 2,000 lumens more often than any other mode but it's still nice to have the full 3,000 when needed. Typically I run it when the kids are trick-or-treating or when we are going to be out well past dark in open areas such as star gazing or camping. More recently it has been our skunk light. My state is terrible with them and those little smelly creatures are sneaky.