Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

325addict

Enlightened
Well, it has been some years that I didn't take a look at what Maglite had to offer. I thought they would either still make those C and D heavy and large incans forever, or they would go bankrupt still producing these.
How different the reality was!! I went through the site over and over again, learned that a 4D cell Mag now puts out a thousand Lumens, and there were cheap and small 2C lights to have, with two modes, very easy to use, and still with MORE light than a 6D incan with MagNum star bulb...
The cute little ML25LT light has all that right Maglite feel and is built like a tank. I seriousy think it will last the rest of my life and then some.
I didn't regret the purchase of this new Mag at all - maybe I'll even buy more Maglite LED lights. And I'm not a big LED fan, you should know, but the Mag-LEDs certainly "have that something special" a Maglite always had for me...
Are there brigther lights out there? Certainly!
Are there LED lights with bettter LEDs? For sure!
Are there lights that are smaller, but run just as long with the same or higher output? YES!

Are there lights with a very easy UI, with rugged constructon, easy to grab, powered by simple C-cells, to understand by ANY (novel) user, which are better in overall properties than this Maglite, at this price? I seriously doubt it... but I'm not that deep into LED-lights, so suggestions are welcome gentleman :)

I made some pictures of this ML25LT light compared to my 6D incan Mag with the already much better MagNum star bulb, in both modes, but even in 2020 I just cannot add pictures like click and play. STILL I need to give an URL when I want to upload pictures, and I don't have an URL of my pictures. WAYY over the top complexity. TOO complex for me, that is. So, no pictures unfortunately...

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C ML25 is a gem. Considering it's modest cost, I don't know of a better value in the flashlight world....definitely my favorite "budget" light. I don't run mine on alkaline C cells it's either AA eneloops, soshine NiMH C's or 18650 or 21700's in adapters for me.

Other Maglite LED suggestions:

ML50 (C cell) and/or ML300 (D cell), these feature 3 modes in 4 programmable function sets, soft touch electronic switches and quick focus adjustments. LX versions feature hard anodized grenade grip barrels.

Solitaire LED and 2 AAA LED MiniMag - worthy successors to the incan originals with LED power.

Mag Tac – over due for a upgrade but a good tactical 2X CR123A light that is often over looked. Has a similar grenade grip to the LX ML50 and ML300 with a electronic tail switch.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The maxi-minimag was such a great idea. And the 019 upgrade was icing on the cake. More throw, and a low.

But I really liked the 019 2D classic. A low that runs at about (what appears as) 75% of high while massively increasing runtime.
Specs on the left.
14214951-13-AF-45-F4-91-F8-991-C2929557-B.jpg

Last edited:

mrsteel

Newly Enlightened
I got an ML300 4D LED on the way tomorrow along with a 4D Xenon (because I still love the way these bulbs look and work.) Can't wait to try it out, the runtime despite stepping down over time is awesome, and I'll test it out with NiMH to see if it maintains brightness overtime longer (which I'm guessing it will.)

That and the mix of throw and flood as I saw on a YouTube video seem to be about perfect.

325addict

Enlightened
I already had that in mind: put these electronics and LED in a 2D housing and it will run double the time a 2C cell will run. I wasn't too far off: 72h vs. 127h.
I'm afraid I have to restart my Maglite collection from the start, hahaha!
And indeed: I still like my incan Mags a lot! From the tiny Solitaire over the 2AA(A) to the MagCharger and 6D: I like them ALL!

But I can say I'm really surprised AND impressed by this 2C cell Mag... I cannot advise it enough!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh, you should try the ML25IT. He he he…:grin2:
They came in 2 and 3 cell versions. They were bi-pin bulb'd and the fastener is surrounded with a really hard plastic, almost like ceramic.

Z Battery may still have some. A 3/4" gas service pvc pipe for battery spacer and solar lamp batteries make the 2 cell one a really fun flashlight. Just as bright as the ML25LT.
I used a pair of low output 18650's and a Streamlight TL3 bulb in the 3 cell version. The bulb is slightly under driven but puts out a better beam than a Maglite bulb.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maxi-minimag was such a great idea. And the 019 upgrade was icing on the cake. More throw, and a low.

But I really liked the 019 2D classic. A low that runs at about 75% of high while massively increasing runtime.
Specs on the left.
14214951-13-AF-45-F4-91-F8-991-C2929557-B.jpg

[FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]The 2 mode 2D is a great idea, but I find the low mode to be a bit too high. I finally read the fine print on the instructions and it's supposed to be 20% or about 43 lumens but because this light has so much throw when the focus is dialed in, it appears much brighter to the point that when I shine it against a wall inside I sometimes am not sure which mode it's in. Would much prefer something like 10-15 lumens for low, which would give crazy long run times. [/FONT]

[FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]Also I kinda wish Mag had gone with the ML300 body/electronic switch/focus system with a simple momentary/high/low like the third function set on the ML300 for this light. And maybe a 2nd​ function set that starts in low.[/FONT]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
edited my other post (post #3) to add "what appears as" to "75% of high"……
I never saw the actual output number. It is kinda hard to tell the diff between low and high at first. But if you look, the really bright center point of the hot spot is smaller on low when aimed a few feet away at the floor or ceiling.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a Maglite fan back in the 90's, when they had some very nice incan lights. But they fell about 5 years behind the competition when LED's became available, and never bothered to even come close to catching up. Mags are okay if you compare them to cheap junk available in dollar stores, but they barely compete with even department store offerings nowadays. And when you consider the flashlights available to us on-line for very reasonable prices, why even consider any department-store light?

I still have most of my incan mags. I bring them out once-in-awhile to get that feeling of nostalgia. They're certainly not very bright by today's standards, and have horrible beam patterns, but I really like the look of that old-time incandescent light. But as for my LED mags, I feel zero interest in ever using them again, and most of them have either been tossed or are sitting in a junk drawer waiting to be given away to a neighbor in need.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my early flashaholism in the 90s(before LED arrived) I bought a 6D and thought it was the flashlight king of the world. I understand it was not. But still impressive in the eyes of many, brighter than the common 4D lanterns.
I think I am still a Maglite fan. Maglite (especially in some nice color) is still the nicest looking flashlight in my opinion. And with the possibility to modify them with a number of of LED dropins from different manufacturers Maglite still is relevant. Maglite LEDs have never caught my attention. Ok yes; ONE time before I was persuaded by a seller to buy a Led Lenser 3AAA light(my very first LED flashlight) instead of a 2 or 3AA LED MiniMaglite.
I think there are still incandescent Maglites possible to modify available at the market so hurry before they are gone!

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a Maglite fan back in the 90's, when they had some very nice incan lights. But they fell about 5 years behind the competition when LED's became available, and never bothered to even come close to catching up. Mags are okay if you compare them to cheap junk available in dollar stores, but they barely compete with even department store offerings nowadays. And when you consider the flashlights available to us on-line for very reasonable prices, why even consider any department-store light?

I still have most of my incan mags. I bring them out once-in-awhile to get that feeling of nostalgia. They're certainly not very bright by today's standards, and have horrible beam patterns, but I really like the look of that old-time incandescent light. But as for my LED mags, I feel zero interest in ever using them again, and most of them have either been tossed or are sitting in a junk drawer waiting to be given away to a neighbor in need.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I can't agree with you when you refer to them as junk. I really like their incans, but I have several of their LED lights and I like them also and they haven't failed me yet. They seem well made to me and I find them useful. The color temp seems good and pleasant to me. How anyone could hate and toss them just boggles my mind. The ML25LT is a good light-- I mean how could someone dislike it? The ML50 is also good along with the LED solitaire, the 2aaa mini mag and the old 272 lumen mini mag pro. I liked the old luxon rebel 2d also.
I know old folks don't like change, but I recon Mr. Tony seen the writing on the wall and realized it was either make LED lights or go out of business. I think maglite has done a good job of catching up and I don't feel like my mag LED'S are behind the times--when I hold and use one I feel like I have a quality piece of equipment in my hands.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also want to comment on the LED solitaire. That is one fine light, but I wish it would fall out of regulation at some point and gradually fade out. Common folk (the ones that used to buy mags the most) probably think that it just went bad because it was shining good and then went out--no need to put in another battery because that one seemed good.
They may twist it a little and it will come on and then go out again 5 or 10 seconds later. The common person would probably just toss it--maybe buy another and toss it after it does the same thing and then vow not to EVER buy another maglite. They may put in non alkaline batteries and they will work for a few seconds and that will make them think the light is bad while not knowing that it takes an alkaline to fire it right. I don't know if other LED maglites do that, but I know the mini mag pro, the mini mag 2aaa, the ML25LT don't do that and the ML50 goes down enough before it cuts off that common sence would tell you not to toss a $30 dollar flashlight, but check and change the batteries.
So, the LED solitaire is a neat little simple but complex light that can be understood by some, but most will hate it and maglite because of it. I think that neat little light alone has caused maglite to loose it's base to the common folk. I could be wrong and instead of tacking it onto this thread maybe I ought to start another one on the subject-- I don't know. I'm sleepy and should be in bed instead of writing this.
One more thing that I want to mention--we like our lights to start in low mode, but the common folk will think that it isn't all that bright while not knowing there is a medium and a high, so Mr. Tony nailed that one, but failed to understand the logic of how the common folk would perceive the LED solitaire.

Edit: I'm not saying common folk are dumb. I am saying that in this disposable society of many disposable things that most people won't fiddle with stuff all that much if any at all to get something working again. Unless it cost a great deal of money people will just toss it. Maybe maglite might ought to go up on their prices to distance themselves from the cheap disposible stuff so people will try and fix what ain't really broken.....just kidding:rolleyes::D:sleepy:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I gave Mrs Fixer a silver solitaire during a power outage. With things being completely dark those 47 lumens were plenty. I did not know it was regulated until "poof" it just turned off. She said "where do you keep spare batteries"……

I totally understand why some don't dig on Maglite products these days. But I like 'em just dandy. But I would like the solitaire to fall out of regulation and not just suddenly turn off. Perhaps drop down to a low output as a warning if nothing else.

kumasan2020

Newly Enlightened
I have a good image as a brand.
but,It's hard to be a fan again.

In that price range, Lumintop and Olight are more practical.

I used to break two batteries because the attached battery (Duracell) ruptured.
I haven't purchased it since then.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe maglite will come out with an inproved one someday and hopefully convince the big box stores to buy a run of them.
Come to think of it some people might have returned the LED solitaire instead of throwing it away. Maglite probably tested and repackaged a bunch of them or touched up some, put on a new lense and repackaged them--that's what I would have done. I think they started disappearing off the shelves of walmart before the incan mini mag. At least most of the walmarts within a 30 mile radius of me. You could get one for around $10 if you could find them and $12 at home depot. I got my first LED solitaire not too long before the walmart purge.
Maglite is sooo underated and misunderstood and a lot of the "fixes" are simple.
Best to carry a fenix e01 or a sofirn c01 as a backup and then when the battery goes out on the solitaire you could put it into the backup light.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe maglite will come out with an inproved one someday and hopefully convince the big box stores to buy a run of them.
Come to think of it some people might have returned the LED solitaire instead of throwing it away. Maglite probably tested and repackaged a bunch of them or touched up some, put on a new lense and repackaged them--that's what I would have done. I think they started disappearing off the shelves of walmart before the incan mini mag. At least most of the walmarts within a 30 mile radius of me. You could get one for around $10 if you could find them and $12 at home depot. I got my first LED solitaire not too long before the walmart purge.
Maglite is sooo underated and misunderstood and a lot of the "fixes" are simple.
Best to carry a fenix e01 or a sofirn c01 as a backup and then when the battery goes out on the solitaire you could put it into the backup light.

Considering all of the endless threads on here griping about lights that do step down before going dead, I would think that many here would see that as a plus, though I am sure many real people would rather have a noticeable step-down before going dead.

Unfortunately, Mag seems to be losing much of the big box shelf space that they had in the past. Maglites are still about the best lights that big box stores carry, but the public would rather buy cr@ppy bat lights, atomic Navy SEAL lights or store brand lights that promise higher lumens. I think that the LED Solitaire, the AAA LED Mini Mag, and the ML25 still represent some of the best values in flashlights, particularly for the average person looking for a simple, no-nonsense, dependable light for $10-$25 or so.

I think one thing that Mag might be able to do is make a deal with Energizer and include ultimate lithiums in Maglites that come with batteries. Maybe they could make it a promotion with a coupon for Ultimate lithiums to get people away from leaky alkalines? Mag could also include some L91's with their C cell lights along with AA to C spacers.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd love to see a morph of a solitaire and XL50 in a 1aa light from them. In other words a 1aa sized XL50 or even a twisty switch 1aa. No need for a million lumens, just 75 or so with a mechanical clicky tailcap switch but if they chose a minimag/solitaire switch I'd be ok with that. But Maglite seems to be taking a conservative approach and sticking with updates to classic lights. I get that and have acquired some of those along the way.

I really like(d) the ML25 and consider that one my favorite.

Great ideas xxo. Saw that after I posted my little pitch for the 1aa. Yeah, to tout "leak free, and "works in cold weather" would be great. And with sales of primaries slumping that could also be a win for Energizer.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see a morph of a solitaire and XL50 in a 1aa light from them. In other words a 1aa sized XL50 or even a twisty switch 1aa. No need for a million lumens, just 75 or so with a mechanical clicky tailcap switch but if they chose a minimag/solitaire switch I'd be ok with that. But Maglite seems to be taking a conservative approach and sticking with updates to classic lights. I get that and have acquired some of those along the way.

I really like(d) the ML25 and consider that one my favorite.

Great ideas xxo. Saw that after I posted my little pitch for the 1aa. Yeah, to tout "leak free, and "works in cold weather" would be great. And with sales of primaries slumping that could also be a win for Energizer.

That's pretty much what I have been wanting, except based on the similar Mag Tac, maybe a Mini Mag-Tac 1 AA? That and a 1 C cell XL50 or XL200.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Both would be cool as a polar bears toenails double x.

Tonight I was wandering through the Maglite web site and two lights grabbed my attention. One was the ML125 for $50. A rechargeable battery or 3C cells, the light is like a smaller version of the classic 2D LED.
Another was the XL200, which I gave a try a number of years ago but just didn't get how to operate it so I gave it to my youngest son. Tonight for whatever reason I suddenly got the XL200 interface.
A nifty little demo by Bright Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpTaqri4e-E

Both will be arriving soon.
Will I become a Maglite fan again? I never really stopped being one.

Last edited: