Jetbeam        
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

Default Re: Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

Pondering about getting a Maglite 3D, but what kelvin does the LED models have? And is it possible to change the LED out for something else if you'd want to, and if so, how hard is it to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Snulfur View Post
    Pondering about getting a Maglite 3D, but what kelvin does the LED models have? And is it possible to change the LED out for something else if you'd want to, and if so, how hard is it to do so?
    Maglite don't advertise the K rating or even the emitter type/make. However my experience is most of the tints are cool white and often verging on the not so great. I think they have improved in recent times, but might just be pot luck due to general manufacturing of the LEDs has probably improved.

I'd guess in the 6000-6500k range.

I'd also say they would be very hard to mod in order to swap the LED out for another.
    I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic

Curses, it's the one thing that is holding me back from getting one. I hate the cold whites. Time to get an incandescent I guess, hohoho.

Flashaholic

The tint isn't that bad at all. I think the Ml series is a bit warmer. Everyone should own a D cell Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by hsa View Post
    The tint isn't that bad at all. I think the Ml series is a bit warmer. Everyone should own a D cell Mag.
    Guess it depends on what you compare it too though. While I can live with the Mags tints. There is no denying they are long way off what you can get from other makes in this regard.

Heading my way soon; incan aaa minimags from zbattery.
    Purple, green and gray.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

I agree. In many respects Mag caters to a market that everyone else left behind. Alkaline batteries, long throwing reflectors, swithches that work, long run times. It still works for a lot of folks. I am one of them and if you are as old as me you call them "real flashlights". Ha. Of course to find out how old I am , Carbon Dating is necessary. Cheers.

I had 3 maglites a 26year old 6d a 3d led and a pro+ which I recently lost and I'm looking to replace after reading this thread I'm going for the ml25lt 2c but I can't find one in blue at a reasonable price in the UK so looks l will be buying a grey on for £27

They say carbon dating is only acurate to 36,000 years

You had fire on a stick for a billion years, candles for a few thousand years, wak-a-palm flashlights for 80 years and Maglites in 1980.

Flashaholic

Bluemondo, grey ones look great, you will like it and use it a lot probably. Byk, 36,000 years, I just made it under the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemondo View Post
    I had 3 maglites a 26year old 6d a 3d led and a pro+ which I recently lost and I'm looking to replace after reading this thread I'm going for the ml25lt 2c but I can't find one in blue at a reasonable price in the UK so looks l will be buying a grey on for £27
    Where have you found them for £27 in the UK? Thanks.

On Amazon free shipping to uk with prime
    Sold by Amazon us £27.20

Yes I will use it a lot it will be my edc torch hopefully I won't lose this one I have lost 4 aa mags

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemondo View Post
    On Amazon free shipping to uk with prime
    Sold by Amazon us £27.20
    Don't suppose you could post a link? I've had a look on amazon dot com and can only see them with $200 shipping.

I did find an AAA Mini Mag LED for under $20 shipped including taxes, but is out of stock until 4th Feb.

Or were you looking on amazon.co.uk?

Yes I was looking on Amazon UK I don't know how to post links but will try

Thanks.

You have to wonder who comes up with these shipping rates.... is it even worth the effort of listing. Nobody in the history of humanity will be taking them up on it. Very odd business tactics...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drumstick View Post
    You have to wonder who comes up with these shipping rates.... is it even worth the effort of listing. Nobody in the history of humanity will be taking them up on it. Very odd business tactics...

I know your pain, in Canada its the same dang rip off.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... Fenix E01

I think what they are saying is they really don't want to send them overseas but if you pay them the million billion dollars to do it they will.

In post 306 I mentioned a tail cap issue. An email to Maglite warranty was answered in a couple of days saying a new tail cap is on the way. They did ask for a photo of the offending part. I was expecting to have to send them the light as is so that was a pleasant surprise.

Edit: And on another happy note a box of 4D xenon lights showed up 2 days early. Yay!!
    Silver and gray are on sale at Maglite.

The box says 98 lumens with a 237m beam distance. It throws like a much bigger light. I mean old 7-10 cell numbers with gigantic heads.

The one I set on my shelf was made in late 018 and serial number 15 million xxx, xxx.
    End edit
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-15-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Unenlightened

Just can't go wrong with their quality engineering. I have modified quite a few of these, there is a ton of room to heatsink LEDs or even Laser Didodes. I have one that puts out 7 watts of blue laser, it's like a lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    In post 306 I mentioned a tail cap issue. An email to Maglite warranty was answered in a couple of days saying a new tail cap is on the way. They did ask for a photo of the offending part. I was expecting to have to send them the light as is so that was a pleasant surprise.

Edit: And on another happy note a box of 4D xenon lights showed up 2 days early. Yay!!
    Silver and gray are on sale at Maglite.

The box says 98 lumens with a 237m beam distance. It throws like a much bigger light. I mean old 7-10 cell numbers with gigantic heads.

The one I set on my shelf was made in late 018 and serial number 15 million xxx, xxx.
    End edit

It's sad to see the old 4D incan being phased out. I suppose the 2D and 3D xenons will hang on a while longer, but there does not seem to be much of a market for incan Mags anymore.

Managed to snag myself a AAA LED Mini Mag from Amazon.co.uk the price was ok, but shipping was quick. I did order one from the USA and the same place I got the ML25LT from. But they cancelled the order claiming their stock had been damaged. Not sure I believe it. I suspect the shipping price changed.

It's a very nice useful light. I like the size and general performance. Glad I got this one.

The dynamic duo. Such irony that your 2aa is the warehouse lighter and the 2C is the thrower.

What a drag that Maglite products aren't easily available across the big pond these days.

maglite.eu opened recently, nice website but no buying options yet.

I find it interesting that the ML300L 4D is 1002 lumen, while the ML300L 6D is only 694 lumen.

Say what you will, the classic Mag design is timeless and has class.

Super!! Looks a lot like the American site.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-19-2021 at 05:43 AM.

+

Only fair I do a follow up on my ML50LX LED 2-Cell C ordered in Dec.

The first one came doa,, just hate to say it but have to. Wasn't sure if my C cells couldn't do the Amps so I got more C cells. No dice.
    There was no way I was going to listen to some guy at Maglite tell me I didn't know what I was doing ,,,, so ordered one from A~Z.

That one was fine,, so returned one to the easiest of the two lol

==== OK, now for the better part,, I'm more into throwers than pure flood lights & the beam is surprisingly good.
    The size of a two C setup is only a bit bigger than a 21700 light & having now a bunch of C cells, good w/ my alkaline setup.

Everyone should own a Mag.. that's just my opinion.

cheers

note: I did put a tint filter on it, since I have tons of rosco 304

I had an LX (2C) arrive with the entire tailcap coated instead of having the two areas normally uncoated-uncoated. So it appeared to be DOA. I removed the coating and asked Maglite to send me a proper tailcap. They asked for a photo so I sent them a photo after removing the coating with a dremel. It was easy to see and Maglite responded "we can see where you attempted to remove it and will send you a new tailcap".
    Main thing was they wanted to know for QC purposes the S/N. I suppose so they'd know how many got out that way.
    I got it working by adding some grease to the threads, which allowed an easier effort to screw down the tailcap better for proper ground. But a new tailcap is on the way.

Was it gray Orbital?
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-19-2021 at 08:16 AM.

+

yep,

btw, the spring was a bit softer on the second.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast