What exactly is a “pocket flashlight” and how were they used?

Gnmtl

Newly Enlightened
Im talking about the little walkman looking flashlights. I had never really seen one until recently. I think they're pretty cool, but I just gotta be honest I don't necessarily understand what their purpose was. Is it just because that's the only way tgey could fit that square battery in there?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Riiight!!! like this one then :)

Well you`de be forgiven at first for thinking they were to fit on bicycles as a light because they look a bit similar with the front facing reflector, but there`s no fitting for that as you can see.
they are a fairly early general purpose flashlight and could technically fit in a pocket, but often these were hung on walls to provide light much in the same way that old gas mantles did, in the days before Ceiling Bounce! LOL :)

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandparents had a couple of those. When they passed the house was sold with everything in it. I could kick myself for not grabbing those.

Gnmtl

Newly Enlightened
Yes! Exactly 😂 i cane across them on ebay the other day and got a couple 😬. They're pretty neat I just wasn't sure of the purpose. I can't imagine they would be super easy to use like a regular flashlight. I guess with that stand you could stand them in the direction you need them

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They were generally used for hands free operation lighting a path or building. Firefighters, rescue workers, police and military used them.

Some of the earliest flashlights were called "vest pocket" lights because they were about the size of a vest pocket sized whiskey flask.

In the really old ones, often the battery was a pair of aa cells in a package or wrapping.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've been a Flashaholic for more than
60 Years now (truth), and have always
liked the "look" of those vest-pocket flashlights !
(although I've only seen 'em in photos)

That's one reason I love the Frelux Synergy
flashlights, with their distinctive Side by Side
battery arrangement.

Got one in each size: AAA and AA

Here's a LINK --

https://frelux.com/

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yikes! Those things sell out faster than toilet paper in a pandemic Burgess.

They are sweet though.

I had a chance to buy a nice Franco vest pocket light from eBay at a great price but the seller also had one of those Franco novelty pistol lights at a great price so I bought that instead.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
All 3 of the lights pictured here, Will take a 4x AA battery holder, just fit a dummy battery in slot 4 if you don`t want to run at 6v and keep it reasonably Original looking.
I still have the original bulb from the Vidor torch, it`s actually a frosted bulb and goes well with orange peel reflector making a lovely flood effect with not much of a hot spot, I don`t use it though in case it ever breaks, I haven`t sourced any frosted MES (E10) bulbs yet, so it`ll stay safe in my tray for now. :)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=ArialNarrow, sans-serif]Lights using the 3R12 battery were used by the military in Europe in both world wars and through the cold war. Often they were intended to attach to a button on the soldier's tunic for hands free use and some were equipped with built in sliding black out and colored filters. There were a few 3R12 US military lights made during the first world war era, but the US settled on the 2D angle head lights at the start of the second world war. 3R12 lights on the US commercial market seem to have died out at around that time.[/FONT]

Gnmtl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies, I was supposed to receive one of the lights yesterday but the seller shipped the wrong item to me. Im sure I'll have more questions after I receive it and start working on getting it going. Im new here but everyone seems knowledgeable and helpful