Advice for Ra light that won't turn on?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 10 or 11 year old Ra light (140 GD) that I got earlier in the year in a trade. There have been no problems with it until today. It being an older light, I didn't want to bug Henry until I weighed in here first, in case someone with more HDS experience might know what the problem is. The first time today I pushed the switch, nothing. What is odd is that when I changed the battery and screwed the head back on, it came on for 5 seconds like it is supposed to, but pushing the switch doesn't make it come on. It hasn't taken a hard fall anywhere, and the switch makes the appropriate clicking noises, as before. Does anyone here have any observations or suggestions? Thank you very much!

nbp

Flashaholic
Did you change battery chemistries from li-ion to primary? Without a battery reset could it think you put a dead li-lion in it?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email Henry then send it in. It is not bothering him. What would bother him is knowing there is a light out there with a problem. Let him fix it. Most likely it is an internal issue with the switch.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you change battery chemistries from li-ion to primary? Without a battery reset could it think you put a dead li-lion in it?

I believe the 5 seconds ON after changing battery IS the battery reset.

I would start by cleaning the wire in the battery compartment and the ring it contacts in the head with alcohol.

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh right. I forgot it only does the 7 sec lightup if it reset. I had it in mind it always did that.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank all of you very much! (and this has involved only primaries; I have not used Li-ions)

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Bullzeyebill. I just tried it again, and made sure I waited at least a minute. The 5-second light occurs, but it doesn't turn on.