Killer deal on Philips X-Treme +130 H4 bulbs

1990CrownVic

Newly Enlightened
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of 9003 for $20.81: $15.83 + $4.98 of Shipping & Handling. I just wonder if they are legit or a counterfeit

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
That's great, thanks! I went to Amazon and one of the prompted items below was [h=1]Cibie 82440 Round High-Performance H4 Fog Light[/h]It is clearly a 7" H4 headlight, but 57.96 is a good price. Funny, the 5-3/4" was $76.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's great, thanks! I went to Amazon and one of the prompted items below was [h=1]Cibie 82440 Round High-Performance H4 Fog Light[/h]It is clearly a 7" H4 headlight, but 57.96 is a good price

Would have been a good price, before the Cibie 7" headlamp went to crap (real old tooling, badly degraded optics). Same for the 5.75". Sad but true. They're probably near the end of their production life.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
That is sad. I still have at least one pair of new curved lens 5-3/4 H1's that have been on my shelf probably 15 years, but I guess it's time to cross Cibie off my list. 😢

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It is kind of sad, but...wup...time moves on. This isn't as sad as (say) the discontinuance of the Cibie CSR and Hella/Bosch BiFocus 5.75" lamps. And the Koito 5.75" H4/H1 lamps are quite good.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recalled (and the picture of the product helped that recall) that the envelope surrounding the high beam filament has the blue tint (although much more lightly applied) on it. This will cut into the high beam performance, but most driving is on low beams (sometimes erroneously on low beams, but low beams nonetheless).

ST Dog

Newly Enlightened
I just recalled (and the picture of the product helped that recall) that the envelope surrounding the high beam filament has the blue tint (although much more lightly applied) on it. This will cut into the high beam performance, but most driving is on low beams (sometimes erroneously on low beams, but low beams nonetheless).

That's what I was finding in the thread from when they were new (circa 2015).

Think I'll stick with the +100 then. While yes, most driving is on low beam, I do have some stretches (unlit/poorly lit interstate) where high gets used and would rather have the better bulb.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Think I'll stick with the +100 then. While yes, most driving is on low beam, I do have some stretches (unlit/poorly lit interstate) where high gets used and would rather have the better bulb.

A good (maybe even better) alternative to the X-Treme +100's is the GE Nighthawk Xenon +120's. Like the +100's, these do not have any tinting around the filaments. Currently at $30/pair on Amazon which is a very good price - normally they go for ~$50.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's an excellent deal on the Nighthawk Xenon, which is an excellent bulb. It's the Tungsram Megalight +120 as previously packaged/merchandised for the NAFTA market. I initially guessed this price break was a blowout deal on obsolete packaging (the GE name is out and the Tungsram name is in now), but it looks like that's not it...the exact same bulb in the new Tungsram packaging is $10 more, but the H13 isn't (and same goes for H11 and other types).

ST Dog

Newly Enlightened
That's an excellent deal on the Nighthawk Xenon, which is an excellent bulb.

So I ordered the Phillips +100 bulbs and the seller substituted the +130 stating the +100 was discontinued.

So should I get a refund and but the GE/Tungsram?

I tried unsuccessfully to find data to compare the 3.

Or maybe the Hella 2.0TB (again I didn't see data)

[h=1][/h]

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It depends on how anal you want to be about blue tint on the bulb. I prefer to have no blue tint surrounding a filament, because that always means less light reaching the road, but there's blue tint (partial/light blue) and there's blue tint (full/dark blue). The Philips +130s are good performing bulbs, and so are the Tungsram/GEs.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
So I ordered the Phillips +100 bulbs and the seller substituted the +130 stating the +100 was discontinued.

Was this from Amazon? Filament tint aside, the +100's are also consistently more expensive than the +130's on Amazon, so if the seller sent you +130's at +100 prices, you essentially overpaid for them.

ST Dog

Newly Enlightened
Was this from Amazon? Filament tint aside, the +100's are also consistently more expensive than the +130's on Amazon, so if the seller sent you +130's at +100 prices, you essentially overpaid for them.

No not Amazon. But there were a little more than I could get the +130 for on Amazon.

It depends on how anal you want to be about blue tint on the bulb. I prefer to have no blue tint surrounding a filament, because that always means less light reaching the road, but there's blue tint (partial/light blue) and there's blue tint (full/dark blue). The Philips +130s are good performing bulbs, and so are the Tungsram/GEs.

Not a fan of the blue/high color temperature. Which is why I won't be doing LED (like JW Speaker) any time soon.
These are for my 16 yr old's 71 VW (Koito housings) I want the best performance I can get with reasonable life and readily available.
(The XV +100s I ordered for other vehicles arrived fine)

So, has the XV +100 been discontinued?
If so, XV +130 or the GE +120 given my requirements.

And I guess you'd pass on the Hella 2.0TB line.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Bulbs branded "Hella" have never been made by Hella. They've always been private-labelled bulbs made by other makers. For a long time, they were perfectly good bulbs made by reputable makers like Osram and Philips and a couple of others. But starting about 15-20 years ago, they're mostly generic junk from "low-cost countries". Best avoided.

I don't know for sure if the XV 100s (sounds like a discount cigarette!) are discontinued. If I had those two choices in front of me I would opt for the GE +120. But if the gates were wider open and I wanted the maximum possible lighting performance, I'd hit up Dan Stern for the Osram 70/65w bulbs.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulbs branded "Hella" have never been made by Hella. They've always been private-labelled bulbs made by other makers. For a long time, they were perfectly good bulbs made by reputable makers like Osram and Philips and a couple of others. But starting about 15-20 years ago, they're mostly generic junk from "low-cost countries". Best avoided.

I don't know for sure if the XV 100s (sounds like a discount cigarette!) are discontinued. If I had those two choices in front of me I would opt for the GE +120. But if the gates were wider open and I wanted the maximum possible lighting performance, I'd hit up Dan Stern for the Osram 70/65w bulbs.

I hit Stern up for two sets of those Osrams. And a set of selective yellow osrams of the same spec. Should arrive any day. Will replace my current osram 100/90w rallye bulbs

ST Dog

Newly Enlightened
But starting about 15-20 years ago, they're mostly generic junk from "low-cost countries". Best avoided.

Explains a lot...

Chatted with Dan. Turns out the seller had Euro parts. He wasn't sure about Europe but said the +100 is still in the US/NA catalog.
So, the +130s go back and I have the correct +100 coming from another source ($3 more).