Starting Flashlight Collecting

karun

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Im going to start flashlight collecting. What would be a good brand to start off with?
Is Nitecore any good?

rje58

Enlightened
The first thing to figure out is what are the goals and purpose for your collection?

Nitecore is a decent brand, I would say. Different people may have different opinions. There are a lot of good brands, more middling ones and some truly crappy ones. Some of the more popular brands are Surefire, Olight, JetBeam, Streamlight, Fenix, Maglite, just to name a few.

Hello,
Im going to start flashlight collecting. What would be a good brand to start off with?
Is Nitecore any good?

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would say start with what your uses for flashlights are and collect lights that match those uses so they will be "played" with. I have a lot of flashlights but mostly cheap ones that I bought to use and a few more expensive ones that I specifically bought to match my needs the best I could find for what I had to spend.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
If flashlight collecting is going to get popular maybe a new subsection is in order?

I like both kinds of flashlights: The ones that other people like, and also the ones that other people don't like.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where to start the collection? Hmmm.
There's probably not one definitive answer for that question. Flashlight collections are like snow flakes, no two are quite the same. So perhaps start out with a purpose for each new member of the collection. Is it a tool or a toy? Then after a few you begin to realize a particular style to start with.

Mine started out as tools for work or auto repairs, then evolved into mostly lights meant for police or military dating back to the early period of flashlights. Meanwhile some of the modern lights were set aside for work lights or auto repairs. Yet many are simply toys that look cool on a shelf.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collect what you like and interests you the most. Most of the enjoyment will come from researching and learning about them. Do Not build your collection to please anyone else – you do not have to collect things that you are not interested in just round out a collection. And always, have fun!

karun

Newly Enlightened
The first thing to figure out is what are the goals and purpose for your collection?

Nitecore is a decent brand, I would say. Different people may have different opinions. There are a lot of good brands, more middling ones and some truly crappy ones. Some of the more popular brands are Surefire, Olight, JetBeam, Streamlight, Fenix, Maglite, just to name a few.

Most of those brands other than Nitecore, Surefire, and Maglite i've never heard of. Where about's is a good place to get them from? I'm in Europe at the moment, but I noticed the American prices tend to be better.

Latest posts