LED 922 bulb?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but I'll ask just in case...

housemate let me know that one of my brake lights was out in my old beater Heep... out of curiosity I tried the Sylvania Zevo bulbs instead of just buying more 3157LLs. Look about the same brightess wise but I like the rise time.

Are there any good 922s (or 921, 912) available so that I could have the CHMSL match? I'm not seeing much but off brand stuff. Looks like there is a 6000K Zevo 921, but I don't see anything red.

Thanks for any advice! if this is a no go it's not the end of the world, this is the ugliest vehicle I've ever owned and I'm not entirely sure why I am trying to keep people from hitting it. Between these and the Truck-Lite headlights I've probably doubled its value.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
About the only one I can think of that isn't totally laughable is the Osram. Will it work? Well, some of the reviews suggest it might (with the help of Google Translate). You'd have to pay your money and take your chances, and test like this.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the only one I can think of that isn't totally laughable is the Osram. Will it work? Well, some of the reviews suggest it might (with the help of Google Translate). You'd have to pay your money and take your chances, and test like this.

Figures. And my CHMSL only uses one bulb, as well. I could try them as brake lights in my BMW but I'm assuming that that would be a non starter due to the bulb monitor.

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

I do like the appearance of the taillights. If anything they look more diffuse, if that makes any sense. Like the lens is lighting up directly because you don't see the hot spot from the bulb behind it anymore. Part of me wants to LED-ize the turn signals too but I don't know that there's really any safety benefit from doing that.

In everyone's experience are the Zevo LEDs brighter than the bare bulbs in the clear version? I've got limo tint on the back window so anything that helps backing up at night would be great. Have actually thought about adding LED backup lights and a rear fog in the hatch, because a) this is a true beater and b) visibility backing up at night is awful because of the tint.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Figures. Thanks for the reply, anyway.

How does that follow? Didn't you just get pointed at a likely candidate to be exactly what you asked for...?

I could try them as brake lights in my BMW but I'm assuming that that would be a non starter due to the bulb monitor.

Your BMW would probably object to this plan, yes.

In everyone's experience are the Zevo LEDs brighter than the bare bulbs in the clear version?

I can't make 100% sense of this question. I guess you're asking whether this would result in brighter reversing lights than a standard 3157 bulb. It might or it might not, but there is no bulb that will overcome limo tint. Take the limo tint off the back window if you want to see through it.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I was trying to say was that $35 for an incremental benefit is likely not worth it on this vehicle. I'm probably going to junk it first major repair it needs, and it's showing an evap leak code right now.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I was trying to say was that $35 for an incremental benefit is likely not worth it on this vehicle. I'm probably going to junk it first major repair it needs, and it's showing an evap leak code right now.
Don't forget to clean the mating surfaces of the fuel cap and filler neck, make sure the threads on the fuel cap are clean, and tighten the gas cap until it 'clicks' at least once.

You might also just need a new fuel cap. They are so similar from car to car you could just trade the fuel cap to another one of your vehicles (if you have more than one) and see if that makes the light go away on the first vehicle and light up on the other. Don't clear the codes on the Jeep after doing this; if the issue is resolved the light will go out after a few drive cycles or sooner. (Granted, this does hinge on what particular OBDII code you have.)

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to clean the mating surfaces of the fuel cap and filler neck, make sure the threads on the fuel cap are clean, and tighten the gas cap until it 'clicks' at least once.

You might also just need a new fuel cap. They are so similar from car to car you could just trade the fuel cap to another one of your vehicles (if you have more than one) and see if that makes the light go away on the first vehicle and light up on the other. Don't clear the codes on the Jeep after doing this; if the issue is resolved the light will go out after a few drive cycles or sooner. (Granted, this does hinge on what particular OBDII code you have.)

I actually did replace the fuel cap because when the code started I had a local guy look at it (my scanner was unavailable at the time due to me moving a bunch of my stuff from one storage locker to another) and he found it was in fact an evap code and also that the gas cap was starting to come apart. However if anything the code came back quicker after replacing the cap and there's definitely an issue as on a hot day (which is all of them this year it seems) there is a strong fuel smell immediately after startup. Now it would be convenient to have a friend with a smoke machine (I actually had a similar issue with my previous Jeep and it was a vacuum line that ran under the battery tray) but I don't anymore... I will take it in for an oil change in a few weeks and ask the guy to smoke it for me.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Regarding backup lights and window tinting: We have two 2007 Corollas and a 2000 Crown Vic former unmarked cop car. One Corolla and the Vic have tinted windows. My fair skinned Texan wife prefers tinting. Use of side mirrors is the norm for us (I was driving a fuel delivery tanker in 1973-4, so even now I barely missed the center mirror when it fell off the windshield of my 1986 F250). We roll down the side windows when backing up at night. Even if a raindrop or two fall into the car, it's much more important to see where you are going (especially when reversing, when any accident is your fault, even if the other party darts behind you with lights out - yes it happened to me). Roll down those windows and use those mirrors.