Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disaster on top of disaster preparedness

Default Re: Disaster on top of disaster preparedness

One thing I do before heading into remote areas, is to download the applicable USGS topos onto my phone storage beforehand, for offline usage.
    Not a perfect solution, but better than not having that option for sure.

I certainly try to keep paper maps on hand - and never undertake car travel without those 'Atlas & Gazetter' topo books for the state I'm in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Atlas-.../dp/0899333478
    Last edited by Kestrel; 09-16-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I certainly try to keep paper maps on hand - and never undertake car travel without those 'Atlas & Gazetter' topo books for the state I'm in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Atlas-.../dp/0899333478
    I've had a couple in my jeep for the longest time and finally took them out. But I really should put them back in. I rely too much on my phone. It would be so easy to drop it, somehow fry the battery, forget a charger, simply misplace it or just have bad luck with some manufacturer defect when I'm away from home.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_McE View Post
    On my agenda the Korean Flamethrower Squirrels are up next. Remember: If you see one in the road drive AROUND it!
    No, next it was people claiming lives matter blocking dying people from getting into the hospital emergency room. I'll let you know if the west coast fires get started by those squirrels. So far, one was started during a baby's gender reveal party. We live in interesting times.

Very much appreciate the link to USGS map resource. Wow, even the temperature and amount of sun of the chosen location is shown. The initial map uses meters and I could not change that setting (except when you choose spot elevation instead of location coordinates), but when going to an actual map, it was in feet.

For printing those critical maps. It's pricey. I use it when taking mtn bike trips. For when you need the very best.

https://www.amazon.com/iGage-Weather...s%2C185&sr=8-1

https://weatherproofpaper.com/index.htm
    Last edited by turbodog; 09-17-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Although direct external sales links are discouraged anyway, would you please at least edit out all of the extraneous "referer" info included above.
    ... is the archimedes peak

im prepared for everything i mean it everything i even choose the room i sleep in to have the tactical advantage in case we have a home invasion .
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

All these professional fighters had a plan .... Then they met a disaster face to face.

It's a worthy endeavor to plan for the worst. But it's wise to remember your plan pits you against something aptly named a disaster.
    The question is no longer - What will they do? It's now - Is there anything they won't do?

I had that quote in the first post. Don't forget the second quote I posted: "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything" -General Patton. The idea is to adapt to changes in your situation. Have plans for different contingencies and adapt new ones to your changing reality.

Looks like Los Angeles might be about to lose communications. The Bobcat fire is up to the access road to Mt. Wilson observatory and a communications tower farm. These towers affect t.v. networks, cell phones, and emergency communications for first responders. O.k., new emergency scenario: All local communications are out. 911 system down. Pilots can't communicate with ground support during a wildfire. Local news goes dark. No cell service. You were told it will take fire crews a month and a half to put the fire out, and it's not the only one in the area. Santa Anna winds are expected this weekend. Oh, and you live in an area with nearly 12.5 million people during a pandemic, prone to rolling blackouts. Do you ride it out and hope the fire doesn't get to you? Do you wait for a mass evacuation order? Do you get out of dodge now to avoid the panic or maybe take your family on a vacation? To bug in or to bug out, that is the question. Be specific. This may depend on distance from the fire, how safe your neighborhood is, your supply situation, distance to get out of the area, if you have to gather family and friends first, etc. So what would you do? What's your backup plan?

Unless there's an idiot running the show, they will hit the tower area with retardant.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    I had that quote in the first post. Don't forget the second quote I posted: "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything" -General Patton. The idea is to adapt to changes in your situation. Have plans for different contingencies and adapt new ones to your changing reality.
    I understand your point. Do you understand General Patton's, Killer Mike Tyson's and mine?
    The question is no longer - What will they do? It's now - Is there anything they won't do?

Yes. Trying to plan for the unknown pits you against a disaster. There's a good chance you might not survive. But that doesn't mean you should give up hope of surviving. You only lose when you give up trying.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Unless there's an idiot running the show, they will hit the tower area with retardant.
    Fire reached the access road right before the towers last night. Air crews were called off when it got dark last night. They may not have been able to drop the fire retardant. Containment of the fire dropped from 15% to 13%. This is a really persistent fire. It's the size of Denver, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Yes. Trying to plan for the unknown pits you against a disaster. There's a good chance you might not survive. But that doesn't mean you should give up hope of surviving. You only lose when you give up trying.
    Close. Sometimes, regardless of your plan/s, you get punched in the face instantly after the "sound of the bell" and it's game over man! Game over! Here in the Pacific Northwest, 40 years ago, 57 people thought they had a plan. Then Mount St. Helens erupted. Those 57 people died. They didn't die because they gave up trying. They died because they came face to face with a disaster.

The point? It's unwise to put too much faith, or pride if you will, in one's plan.

The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.

I don't prepare for disasters that are totally out of my control like a volcano, asteroid, or nuclear bomb that kills me instantly. The only prep for those is faith in God. I prepare for disasters where good decisions have the potential of keeping me alive and I have a chance to get out of the way when the shtf. There are a lot of unknowns and unique situations we have been going through this year, but many you can see coming a mile away and do something about them before it's too late. Have complete awareness of your environment and you will be caught off guard less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    All these professional fighters had a plan .... Then they met a disaster face to face.

[video]

It's a worthy endeavor to plan for the worst. But it's wise to remember your plan pits you against something aptly named a disaster.
    https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...art=26&end=210

Looks like so far, the tower farm and Mt. Wilson Observatory have been spared from the Bobcat fire. However, there are 200 fewer firefighters available for the next couple days (went from 1700 to 1500 firefighters) and there have been spotfires (currently contained) on Mt. Harvard which also has communication towers. I think the firefighters are pretty well worn out by now. We'll see how this plays out. They're supposed to get Santa Ana winds arriving over the weekend.

Thank you, chillinn. That was an enjoyable watch.

Thank you, chillinn. That was an enjoyable watch.
    Agreed!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

It's unwise to put too much faith, or pride if you will, in one's plan.

The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.
    The first casualty in any mission is always plan A.

Just saw this TED talk about the mind of a procrastinator, almost on topic regarding plans, the solution is definitely on topic. Plans change and adjust and get less ideal. So don't plan. Develop good habits, turn them into rituals, and eventually be ready for anything even without any plan. Just be reactive, like Donnie Yen/Tony Hawk/Jet Li/Mario Lemieux/Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee et al. Make karma, aka cause and effect, work for you. The image translators work for the construct program - but there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. Maybe it is a little paranoid to develop rituals to deal with crisis or disaster that doesn't come or comes rarely, but maybe proper successful reaction to disaster can be memorized as a skill, like riding a bike, so there when you need it, but otherwise not ruling your life. If it is a perishable skill, bone up once in a while.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-24-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillinn View Post
    ...Just be reactive, like Donnie Yen/Tony Hawk/Jet Li/Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee et al...
    Advice for the bad guys. Us good guys want them to believe movie logic and strategy is real, so we can be effective in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Advice for the bad guys. Us good guys want them to believe movie logic and strategy is real, so we can be effective in the real world.
    Yes, the movies aren't real, I think the movie Kung Fu is called Hong Kong Wire, or Wire Fu. But the philosophy (not mere ideology, but bone fide philosophical schools of knowledge) is genuine and complete, and there is such a thing as Kung Fu and Wing Chun, and using these as metaphor for other skills works well. Make your disaster fu strong, you will never go wrong.
    Last edited by chillinn; 09-23-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Does anyone else find it strange that in the Los Angeles area (Los Angeles means the angels) there is a fire threatening a observatory for stargazing and communication towers? In the Bible, angel means messenger and angels are often compared with stars. Viewing of the stars and sending messages via the communication towers are being threatened by the Bobcat fire.

I don't see the connection, but I'd bet that there are some ministers who will claim that it is the work of the Devil, and that people should come to the Lord, and send in money.

Santa Ana winds are supposed to pick up this week and bring another heatwave. Might freak out some people if the towers and observatory were to get destroyed tomorrow, the Day of Atonement (in Jewish culture, it's your last day to get right with God). We'll see. Odds are nothing will happen and the fire will just take longer to put out. But who knows, it is 2020. Anything can happen.

Well according to religious mythology, I`m going to hell from the second I was born! ...still not worried! LOL
    The thing that should be of concern is that if the coms towers get ruined, it`ll make life so much more difficult for the emergency workers trying to deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Well according to religious mythology, I`m going to hell from the second I was born! ...still not worried! LOL
    The thing that should be of concern is that if the coms towers get ruined, it`ll make life so much more difficult for the emergency workers trying to deal with it
    Absolutely, more difficult.
    Short wave radio would still work, but who knows how well they are prepared to use that technology. I guess satellite phones too.

Katherine, when you go, you'll get to play with all of the Viking women of the past. They never got to go to Valhalla. OTOH there were warrior women, I wonder if they got to go?

In either case, I believe that you'll be safe.

Looks like the August fire is going after the pot farms in California and the Glass fire is burning the wineries. How are Californians supposed to put up with these lockdowns sober? Watch out for the zombie hordes in withdrawal taking to the streets. They won't be chanting "brains", they'll be moaning " beer".
    Last edited by Hooked on Fenix; 09-28-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12