Bringing an M3X on an airplane?

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
I am going on a camping trip from the US to Europe and I own an Insight M3X Tactical Illuminator.
Had this light about 10 years and still going strong.

I like it because its small and compact, rugged and well built and can be even used as a handheld light and I prefer to take this with me as most of my Surefire lights I have has the crenulated bezel on them which can be used as a weapon and I am afraid that the TSA would take it away.

The light looks like this one from the below link in case anyone needs to see it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013232062

My question is, can I put this light in my carry-on bag or do I need to check it in?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's my understanding that if it's less then 7 inches and does not contain rechargeable batteries you can put it in carry on.

Msf

Enlightened
I travel with multiple rechargeable batteries and flashlights in my carry-on every time I fly. Never had any issues with TSA or their equivalents in Canada or the EU. The most aggressive looking flashlight I have carried with me is an HDS Rotary with the 18650 battery tube. Normally at least three or four lights and at least a half dozen lithium batteries.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Have you seen the image from the link on what the light looks like?

It's small, and it's used as a weapon light but most of the time I use it as a handheld light.

It takes 2 CR123 batteries.

Actually, I like this light better than my Surefire lights to be honest.

So will this be fine to put it in my carry-on bag.

Last edited:

Msf

Enlightened
You are correct. It is small. The reason I gave mine as examples instead of saying you would be fine with yours is the TSA disclaimer that everything is dependent on the judgment of the TSA agents you are dealing with. I have seen them deny people boarding with items that were on the approved list and your recourse at that point is to check your item if it isn't too late or hope a supervisor will overrule them. If neither happens, you may be vindicated after the fact, but still won't be allowed to take it on the plane. I had that happen with a PVS-14, night vision monocular. Totally approved by the TSA site, and had taken them on several previous flights. Then, one day at the Richmond airport, TSA said no way and I had to check it. Not much bigger than your light. It's a risk you take with just about any item you decide to carry on. While it can be frustrating, I would rather have them err on the side of caution when they don't know or understand what they are looking at.

Have you seen the image from the link on what the light looks like?

It's small, and it's used as a weapon light but most of the time I use it as a handheld light.

It takes 2 CR123 batteries.

Actually, I like this light better than my Surefire lights to be honest.

So will this be fine to put it in my carry-on bag.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
I checked some pictures on the PVS-14 and my M3X pistol light is considered to be even smaller.

So most likely I'll be fine to pass through the security checkpoint with the small pistol light?

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see absolutely no problem with this in carry on. I have traveled with many flashlights and had no problem rechargeable or not. Crenulated bezel might be a gray area they could make a case to be used as a weapon so I would not carry this on me. I own two M3Xs great light beautiful white incan beam and can be handheld like you say. I bought the second one when it was already discoed.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be a problem in Europe if someone recognizes it as being a weapon light - some countries are very strict when it comes to "gun parts" or firearm accessories - especially now with the heightened security threat levels.