Need recommendations for EDC light setup

joao01

Newly Enlightened
Quite frankly an EDC light is something that I have pretty much neglected. Some recent youtube videos have me seriously reconsidering that. I'd like some kind of a setup like the Thyrm switchback for use with a pistol, but I don't know if there are competitors for the Thyrm out there I should look at. I could get a Thyrm switchback to work with my current bedside light, which is a Streamlight HL-X, but after carrying the Streamlight by itself (no switchback), I think it could be a bit too bulky.

Suggestions for maybe a smaller light that would suit my purposes? Looks like surefire has a couple backup light options that work with the Thyrm, but they're in the mid $100s. I'd like something about 1000ish lumens, good candelas, and obviously compatible with one of those flippy rings that allows for as close to a two handed pistol grip as feasible. would like the light to be CR123 compatible if possible, but that is flexible.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
On their website, if you click on the Switchback you have, there is a list of lights they work on. After that it is a matter of what you like and how much you want to spend. Sometimes you can find a used Elzetta for a good price or any of the newer Surefire G2 models they work on and those can be had pretty reasonable. For rechargeable in those models you would have to use a 16650. Malkoff MD2 is listed there, and with discount it would be around $100, totally bombproof, and will take 18650. I am not sure how well the Thyrm would work on it though because the tail cap is shrouded.The high/low ring is in the head if you wanted that option and the Thyrm would not effect it.

joao01

Newly Enlightened
On their website, if you click on the Switchback you have, there is a list of lights they work on. After that it is a matter of what you like and how much you want to spend. Sometimes you can find a used Elzetta for a good price or any of the newer Surefire G2 models they work on and those can be had pretty reasonable. For rechargeable in those models you would have to use a 16650. Malkoff MD2 is listed there, and with discount it would be around $100, totally bombproof, and will take 18650. I am not sure how well the Thyrm would work on it though because the tail cap is shrouded.The high/low ring is in the head if you wanted that option and the Thyrm would not effect it.

I guess I hadn't thought about used. Is there a good source? Forums? Ebay? I did see the list on the Thyrm website, but was hoping there was a competitor out there with some options too. I guess If I want CR123 compatibility, that kinda determines the thickness of the light. Something with a smaller head/reflector might be more the ticket.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I don't know about a single CR123 light that will put out 1000 lumens. Even if it truly does, it would drain battery very fast. The Elzetta Alpha with rotary tail cap can be had for right around $100 brand new from a dealer and you can use a rechargeable battery if you want. I am not familiar with any of the Chinese made lights. A Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop in is awesome too. Definitely look on eBay, new things come up all the time.