Thyrm Switchback Compatible Light

Larry T

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry a Fenix PD35TAC with a Thyrm Switchback attached. I bought and carried an Olight M2R Pro - much higher output than the Fenix but it will not accommodate the Switchback. I've decided to get back to carrying with the Switchback.

My options are to go back to carrying the Fenix but it's a step back based on lumens. Another option is to take out a 2nd mortgage and get the SureFire Fury Intellibeam Dual Fuel, since re-chargeability is a must. I'd also consider Nitecore. I'd be ok with the Fenix PD36R but the tail cap doesn't come off making the Switchback a no-go with that light.

If you're not familiar with the Switchback, here's a link... *link removed - people know how to use search engines ;) :welcome:

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
On their website, if you click on the Switchback you have, there is a list of lights they work on. After that it is a matter of what you like and how much you want to spend. Sometimes you can find a used Elzetta for a good price or any of the newer Surefire G2 models they work on and those can be had pretty reasonable. For rechargeable in those models you would have to use a 16650. Malkoff MD2 is listed there, and with discount it would be around $100, totally bombproof, and will take 18650. I am not sure how well the Thyrm would work on it though because the tail cap is shrouded.The high/low ring is in the head if you wanted that option and the Thyrm would not effect it.

Larry T

Newly Enlightened
On their website, if you click on the Switchback you have, there is a list of lights they work on. After that it is a matter of what you like and how much you want to spend. Sometimes you can find a used Elzetta for a good price or any of the newer Surefire G2 models they work on and those can be had pretty reasonable. For rechargeable in those models you would have to use a 16650. Malkoff MD2 is listed there, and with discount it would be around $100, totally bombproof, and will take 18650. I am not sure how well the Thyrm would work on it though because the tail cap is shrouded.The high/low ring is in the head if you wanted that option and the Thyrm would not effect it.
Their charts are not completely accurate I've found. The best type of tail caps to use with the Switchback are the raised rubber clicky ones. Even if there was a Switchback that fit my Olight M2R Pro, the Olight tail cap is basically flush and could not be activated easily when using a Switchback by pressing the thumb tab. I'm hoping someone who's using a Switchback on a 1500-1800 light will weigh in as well.

prisoner006

Newly Enlightened
Fits great on my Malkoff MD4. No reason to think it wouldn't work great on a MD2 as well.

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
I have a Thyrm Switchback 2.0 on my G2X and it won't even fit the old G2 tailcap(slightly larger in diameter). Thyrm released a new Switchback DF for the larger 18650 SF Fury DFT but I don't think it can fit the M2R's 21700 tail.