Compatibility of Fenix 18650 batteries with Olight S2R Baton II magnetic charging?

loonybin

Newly Enlightened
Well, the title says it all. I have a Olight S2R Baton II that has magnetic charging, and I would love to use some higher capacity Fenix batteries in it. I wish I had known the magnetic charging might cause an issue using other batteries before I bought it, but it is what it is (I'm looking at getting a UC35 v2.0 to make up for it, so forgive me!). Will any of the Fenix batteries work in the Olights with their magnetic charging, or will I have to get a charger and charge the batteries in the conventional way?

LRJ88

Enlightened
When it comes to what batteries work in terms of charging in the Olights what you want to look for is the design of the battery itself, what Olight uses is a button top battery with a ring around the button that's connected to the negative side, essentially giving you both contacts on just the one end. To be able to charge the battery in the flashlight you need either to buy batteries that already follow that design (there's more coming to the market lately from what i've seen) or you need to make your own. It's not an overly complicated design, it's a metal strip running from the negative end to the positive and ending in a flat ring around the button top and then another wrap on top, but you'd do well to be careful so you don't accidentally short the battery in doing this if you aren't completely sure of what you're up to.

So, TL;DR, no, the Fenix batteries you have at the moment won't be able to charge in the Olight.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will any of the Fenix batteries work in the Olights with their magnetic charging, or will I have to get a charger and charge the batteries in the conventional way?
They will work in the light if Button top. Charging in the light requires a proprietary cell. You will need to remove the cell use an external charger.