Guns, Lights and ... Knives???

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
When I first came here I was quite surprised to see Knives as a sub forum but kinda ignored it, then on another forum I visited recently exactly the same thing, Knives on a flashlight forum? same thing on reddit, Knife posts!
I don`t get it?

Guns I can kind of understand, even though I don`t like them it is a good idea to have a light on there sometimes (I have one on my Bow), but Knives? where do they fit in?

am I missing something obvious?

nbp

Flashaholic
Usually these sorts of interests overlap. If you are into flashlights you probably also like knives, watches, multitools, guns or some other kind of gear so some off-topic discussion areas are useful.

If you go to a knife forum you will often find areas for other discussion of other gear like flashlights.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I read a topic at one place; "What knife did you EDC today?" I was like :eek: is that even legal!? it`s certainly not in the UK (not sure about the rest of the world).

I guess it`s just me, I`d have never made the connection between Flashlights and Knives, watches, multi-tools or anything like that, even though I have a knife (given to me by an ex), the only possible connection is that it spends it`s entire life opening parcels and packages that frequently contain flashlights! LOL :D

When I first came here I was quite surprised to see Knives as a sub forum but kinda ignored it, then on another forum I visited recently exactly the same thing, Knives on a flashlight forum? same thing on reddit, Knife posts!
I don`t get it?

Guns I can kind of understand, even though I don`t like them it is a good idea to have a light on there sometimes (I have one on my Bow), but Knives? where do they fit in?

am I missing something obvious?

Yes, freedom to have the tool of your choice and the freedom to share them with others of like mind on a forum.

I'm curious as to how you can kind of understand guns on a flashlight forum but not knives. Almost all people in the world have a knife or two in their kitchen.

Below is a recent purchase/gift for my mother. Nice tool. She loves it. :)

exgYkfk.jpg

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I'm curious as to how you can kind of understand guns on a flashlight forum but not knives. Almost all people in the world have a knife or two in their kitchen.

I have Oven gloves in the kitchen too, and an oven glove sub would make as much sense (some torches get really Hot!) but joking aside, my point is that it seemed a really random thing to connect with torches and I wondered what the link was.
Guns make sense as would Bows because sometimes you need a light for those things, and they require speciality fittings (and counter weights in my case as a Bow user), so sure weapon lights are a thing, just like Head lights or search lights.

nbp

Flashaholic
There are UK legal knives, but you're right, the laws are quite strict. In many areas of the world, though, it is not unusual at all. In my state we can carry virtually any knife we want. With many tradesmen, farmers and outdoors(wo)men around it is very common to see people with pocketknives and multitools in pockets and on belts.

Without getting too far off topic, Unfortunately many lawmakers seek to paint knives as weapons, when in fact they are (as Archimedes noted above) one of man's oldest TOOLS. Most knife enthusiasts don't think of their knives as things to hurt others, but rather a useful tool, just like a flashlight is. Like flashlights, Once you start carrying an edged tool daily you will find out how frequently it can be helpful.

EDC is really a mindset of preparedness, and that can envelop a whole range of useful items and skills. Flashlights, knives, multitools, clips and tethers, firestarters, keychain widgets, containers, fobs, pouches; all kinds of things can fall into the EDC/preparedness methodology. If you look at some of the long runing "EDC What's In Your Pockets" type threads here or elsewhere you will get ideas for all kinda of useful gear you might want to add to your daily carry bag. :)

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
EDC is really a mindset of preparedness, and that can envelop a whole range of useful items and skills. Flashlights, knives, multitools, clips and tethers, firestarters, keychain widgets, containers, fobs, pouches; all kinds of things can fall into the EDC/preparedness methodology. If you look at some of the long runing "EDC What's In Your Pockets" type threads here or elsewhere you will get ideas for all kinda of useful gear you might want to add to your daily carry bag. :)

I`d kinda thought of myself as a reasonably prepared person before, but I think my EDC would probably make you all laugh!
plasters (band aids), tissues, safety pins, 2 flash lights, a tiny pocket knife that was my grandmothers (1 inch blade and rusty AF!) but great if you have a thread hanging loose, hand sanitizer (even before this covid), pain killers, a pen, a lipstick, a lighter (even though I don`t smoke), a silver bullion coin and that`s about it really.

I need to Up my game! LOL :D

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Have you seen the What Watch You Wearing thread? :p

I`m aware Of it, but I haven`t looked in there, I rarely wear a watch at all because the metals affects me after a few hours, I even put nail varnish on the back of some, but it doesn`t last.
Having said that I have seen a watches thread in another place too, so there is a link there (even if I don`t get it! LOL).

Sos24

Enlightened
I think it all has to do with a preparedness mindset. For many people, their interest in flashlights is because they understand their utility as a form of tool. Despite the too often perception as knives being a weapon, to many people they are just another type of tool that helps them in their everyday life and being prepared for contingencies. You yourself mention using one for opening packages. Others use them in the kitchen or garden or job, etc.

I was given my first pocket knife not long after my first flashlight when I was 8 years old and have carried one every since wherever legal. On numerous occasions my knife has been used to help others in situations that just come up. Depending on where I am and what I expect to be doing, the knife may just be a smaller knife like a Swiss Army knife or it may be a larger knife.

Either way, my knives see almost as much use as my flashlights.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`d kinda thought of myself as a reasonably prepared person before, but I think my EDC would probably make you all laugh! plasters (band aids), tissues, safety pins, 2 flash lights, a tiny pocket knife that was my grandmothers (1 inch blade and rusty AF!) but great if you have a thread hanging loose, hand sanitizer (even before this covid), pain killers, a pen, a lipstick, a lighter (even though I don`t smoke), a silver bullion coin and that`s about it really.

I need to Up my game! LOL :D

You're very fortunate not to have the natural threats (earthquakes, wildfires, etc.) that exist in my part of the U.S. Although oven mitts would be useful during our current heat wave.

nbp

Flashaholic
That's a good start!

There is no one right answer. Someone who lives in an urban area and works in an office may encounter very different circumstances daily than one who lives in a rural area and works a ranch. One may get by with a few items in a pocket or attache they carry - for the othet they may have a whole box or bag of gear in their truck or ATV! So your EDC can be as simple or extravagant as you like given your needs and preferences. ANYTHING you carry makes you more prepared than if you didn't carry it. Per the original question, a knife is one of the most basic and useful tools you can really encounter, so many folks find them an Indispensible part of their daily carry.

The kind of knife can vary wildly from person to person. Sizes, blade shapes, steels, opening methods, handle materials all play into what a person may choose for their needs and wants. Again, someone who is a hunting guide or farmer may carry several, among which might include a large fixed blade. Someone who lives and works in an urban area or a place with restrictive laws may choose a small slipjoint folder or Swiss Army Knife type tool (these are the kinds of knives UK residents would probably choose outside of those with specialized trades).

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have Oven gloves in the kitchen too, and an oven glove sub would make as much sense (some torches get really Hot!) but joking aside, my point is that it seemed a really random thing to connect with torches and I wondered what the link was....

I wouldn't have a problem with an oven gloves thread on CPF. It'd probably be enjoyable to view mittens from around the world....

As you wish ...

7gRql9g.jpg

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
a small slipjoint folder or Swiss Army Knife type tool (these are the kinds of knives UK residents would probably choose outside of those with specialized trades).

I must admit, if I came across Swiss Army knife like MacGuyver used to use, I may be a little bit tempted :)

it`s right what you say about the circumstances that you live in dictating what you would consider as being prepared, I have a complete 5v soldering kit that all fits perfectly into a little pink bag like a pencil case and that lets me repair or modify boards anywhere, even if there`s no power or light available, this is Normal for me but probably strange to someone else.
I think I`m starting to get it now ;)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I`d kinda thought of myself as a reasonably prepared person before, but I think my EDC would probably make you all laugh!
plasters (band aids), tissues, safety pins, 2 flash lights, a tiny pocket knife that was my grandmothers (1 inch blade and rusty AF!) but great if you have a thread hanging loose, hand sanitizer (even before this covid), pain killers, a pen, a lipstick, a lighter (even though I don`t smoke), a silver bullion coin and that`s about it really.
This is better preparation than over 99% of the general population. :thumbsup:

We talk about being prepared as a 'Boy Scout' thing; preparedness massively predates Scouting; that organization just codified an already-existing practice.

I will say that although I use my EDC flashlight quite often, I have greater /need/ of my multitool (SOG Q3) and depend on it daily.

Last edited: